What are you listening to now? V5 (Part 1)

The title above alone recalls images of a more…nocturnal jaunt:

Been smitten with Lin-Manuel Miranda’s score from Disney’s Encanto:

Just enough of a key change from major to minor to keep it adventurous and “always wanting for more.” This is the kind of music that when you listen to, you know is the result of some sonic sorcerer; some someone that understands how to conjure emotion from vibrations; the zenith of acoustic engineering, in the vein of Sondheim, Puccini, etc. (all captured in under 190 seconds):

And oh, my, this creation is well done, too. I would love to have been a fly on the wall in that studio with session musicians - such expansive music. (side bar, this kind of music is like accessible prog rock, to me - I’ll bookend this with any of my prog heroes anyday)

And the concluding song. Super Sondheim vibes here, on the third verse (41 seconds in). The overall syncopating rhythm is so infectious:

(Further side bar, but the “all of you” chorus has to be damn near the same key as this:)

2 Likes

And some real Prog; modern fidelity, with deep roots in Wakeman, Banks, Emerson and all the rest; an ice wall of sound:

3 Likes

In the spirit of one song, two versions: Bruce and Manfred…

And the redo:

I dig both. The raw, unfiltered Bob Dylan-esque Bruce vers, and the extremely polished, synthesized and electrified vers.

I see your banana groove, and raise you a chilly down:

2 Likes

That Bruce Springsteen version of For You is interesting to me for a couple reasons. First, I didn’t know that the Manfred Mann version was a cover; it’s one of my favorite recordings of his but I guess I never looked at the credits. Second, something about the way that Bruce sings on that song reminds me at times of early Ricki Lee Jones, which is an association I wouldn’t have expected.

2 Likes

@tureja I have to dig into Ricki Lee now!

Fusion Fun

(Been almost 2 years since I posted this):

3 Likes

Ok, I completed the Covenant questlines, now into the MAW for the Chains questlines…

…so have some MAW music!

4 Likes

Some complimentary Maw Music Madness:

2 Likes

I’m familiar with the Iron Maiden song, but not the other one. The song has a nice flow. I especially like the Album cover.

2 Likes

Piroshka - V.O.

Robin Guthrie - Monument (live)

3 Likes

Robin Guthrie - Carousel (full album)

3 Likes

Interestingly, both are Maiden songs. The Sonata is a cover of one of Maiden’s hits. Here’s one of their own songs:

And a young guitarist from Australia:

3 Likes

Just learned the lead singer of Budgie left us on the 10th…

For you, Burke:

2 Likes

While not music, this is genius:

2 Likes

Oh wow! I’m not super familiar with Maiden, so missed that one. :stuck_out_tongue:

All good - there’s a lot of amazing music in their catalog! Much to explore there.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Little more Country…

3 Likes
2 Likes

Woo Hoo!! Got Shadowlands flying!

This songs lyrics has deep meaning to me at a time in my life when everything seemed to be falling apart and I had to “learn to fly” Thank you Tom for this song which helped me out A LOT!

4 Likes

The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

4 Likes