What are the advantages of loot council over a two-pass DKP system with sanity checks?

I should further define two-pass and sanity check:

Two pass - first round of bidding goes to primary upgrades understood to be relevant and necessary to the class/spec i.e. Hunters get first dibs on bows, melee get first dibs on melee weapons. Second round is more or less FFA, and at this point key upgrades can get forced on known hoarders.

Sanity check - people are forbidden from spending their points in ways that are ludicrous, like a Rogue trying to snag a Thunderfury binding from a tank.

What does loot council do, that these simple additions to DKP don’t provide for? Not including legendaries and coveted raid-dropped recipes, which should obviously be councilled.

My guild is gonna use DKP, i think its better for classic.

But i think some people like LC because its faster, and they can funnel gear onto the main tank. LC is also way better for super hardcore guilds bc theyll be running two 20/20 raids with 20 mains and 20 alts to get the 40 mains geared faster.

3 Likes

i doubt my server would have many guilds with raid time i could use, so i will just have to pick whatever

1 Like

Yeah, that’s another one of those things that just absolutely has to be done, regardless of anyone’s feelings.

1 Like

The problem with DKP is people just horde DKP for only the gear they want while most stuff just gets DE’ed or auctioned off for like 5 DKP

Loot counsel lets you give a item to bob who was running guildies thru instances all week instead of him fighting with timmy who only raid logs.

4 Likes

Do you think this could be solved with, say, a monthly decay system, and forcing upgrades on people who are obviously hoarding at a flat price?

As for raid loggers, uh, that’s not really a loot-system issue. Those people, in any good guild, lose their raid slot.

I’ve always disagreed with gearing out the MT at everyone else’s expense. If that person quits, dies, gets arrested, has drama, etc., you’re back to the drawing board.

Suicide kings is a fair distro system.

1 Like

This lol Some people put in way more work for the guild. If the LC sees that they will be getting items over someone who just logs in to raid and kicks it until next week.

Yeah, it’s a double-edged sword, but the risk is worth the reward, imo. Just have to be damned sure whoever’s doing MT is somebody you’ve known for years.

1 Like

DKP decay maybe? but if everyone decays at the same rate then people would be even less likely to bid on the items they don’t want.

Yeah, I see what you mean, there. DKP decay doesn’t directly solve that, although it does prevent long-term hoarding from turning someone into a DKP mountain.

For context, I’m going half-and-half with my guild, with elements of LC to correct problems DKP causes.

1 Like

The thing is most of the items the tanks need no one else does. So you can gear out the MT/OT at the same time if need be.

DKP can be a pain to set up, compared to knowing who get’s what loot. Why etc, that LC offers, when LC explains how things are before the raid even starts it’s so nice. I personally don’t plan to do a hardcore raiding guild but i plan to do LC. I just hate not gearing tanks ASAP probably because i’m a tank, but it also hurts progression and getting content on farm faster.

Yeah a solution in the middle is the best. I was in one guild that did LC but the LC kept a DKP amount so they could track things a bit better.

My guilds system back then worked that each item was worth so much DKP, person spent dkp on it and that was split among the raid group, if nobody takes something then nobody gets DKP.

1 Like

Forcing loot (and consequentially their forced DKP expenditure) is a good way to absolutely infect your guild with loot issues right off the bat to a very early death.

Organized and consistent loot distribution with the guilds progression as a priority > handing loot to people who “earned it” but aren’t going to show up 3 weeks from now

W/e you do it’s hard. LC is probably your best bet for longevity of your guild. As people will constantly be quitting.

1 Like

This is a big thing, raider burn out happens a lot. It’s sorta why i enjoy LC because it’s easier to also know who’s going to stick around and who’s got classes and won’t be able to continue raiding on certain days and times. All guilds have this problem, LC isn’t the best but i feel it’s better then DKP but of course we are all free to think and say what we want.

1 Like