What are hunters doing? Spec/Pet/Rotation Discussion

Hey all, so let me start with some background info:
I played Classic-the beginning of Cata and just recently came back to WoW. My main was hunter in the glory days of BM Damage meter supremacy and on into the decent dps days of WotLK.
I now main a priest- but have started to level up a new hunter. (I race-changed my old hunter to undead when Cata dropped and it just didn’t feel right, so now I’m a Nightbourne as I had a free character boost with the special edition of Dragonflight and I think they are pretty) I’m excited to deal some sweet damage but I’m falling real short, please help.
If you have any trusted links, or have the time to answer my questions personally that would be amazing.

The issues:
Not having leveled up to 60 I feel a little lost, and I am finding a mix of suggestions as far as “best spec”. I typically level up in dungeons with questing in between so please keep that in mind with what I’m asking. Right now I’m running BM with two cats, (I also have two spirit beasts as I read that these are the best pets for dungeons). However, even with the little bit of research I have done, I did a dungeon recently and was the last in DPS which, like, ew. I thought my former knowledge would be enough but it definitely was not.
What’s our priority in rotation, am I just spamming things whenever they are off CD? Volley is deep into marksman and I don’t seem to have explosive trap- what are we doing in AoE situations? Some specs are for AoE and others aren’t- are we swapping specs between pulls?
My pets seem to die more often than I recall even when I throw a mend pet on them. Do I suck, do my pets suck, do I need to teach them anything because now I don’t even have to level them they just instantly hit my level?!

Is Icyveins a good resource? Do you have any better ones, (Seems like EJ is no longer around or maybe I'm bad at googling)? What is something you would tell a returning/new Hunter?

Thank you all so much in advance for answering these questions for me, the WoW community is truly something I’ve missed these last few years.

IcyVeins is a good resource. If you follow it you’ll do fine. The reason you were last in DPS is because a) you have very low gear and b) you weren’t specced into Beast Cleave so you had no AoE. BM uses Beast Cleave and Kill Cleave to AoE.

BM talent builds here:

Just run the AoE build for all dungeons. Switching builds during dungeons is usually not worth it and you can’t do it anyway in M+. For raids consider swapping to single-target build for single-target bosses.

Rotation guide here:

You have to tick the box next to each talent selected.

The TL;DR of Beast Mastery is keeping Frenzy at 3 stacks via Barbed Shot while keeping Kill Command on cooldown and using Bestial Wrath/Death Chakram when they come up. For AoE you use Multi-Shot every 6 seconds to keep Beast Cleave up.

2 Likes

You’re a gem, thank you!

MM do pve rotating… win

1 Like

Hello. Our pets aren’t as tough as they used to be. Generally, I start healing my pet BEFORE I order my pet to attack. And I watch close, and it’s a Ferocity pet , so has a leeching effect, healing through damage inflicted.
Unlike a lot of Marks, I use my pet as a aggro sponge, my pet gets and holds the targets attention, and I kill it. Unfortunately, my pet has trouble keeping the attention of more than 1-2 targets at a time. You, as a Beast Master, shouldn’t have that problem, you just need a tanky pet to hold multiple sources of aggro. (successfully) I suggest a Clefthoof, an exotic tame, and the best Tank pet available. A fine pet while you level.
Petopia, a Hunter’s pet site, can educate you about it, and any other Hunter pet in the game. Good luck hunting, don’t let them wear you down.

BM and a Bloodgullet, and you’re all set.

This isn’t unusual for every spec while leveling, since scaling makes damage a bit wonky. Finish leveling to get a clearer picture, low level toons just do insane levels of damage when scaled to higher level, to the point where a lv10 mw monk can literally solo every leveling dungeon in the game just by spamming SCK.
That said, MM technically does sim well but it’s got a bit of a luck based rotation, while BM is outright consistent, if not lacking in powerful burst.

Starting next year, you may have to make a Stukovian decision whether you want to go back to the point you started or keeping moving forward with Retail.

You may be thinking if you want to relive what you know or relearn things in an uncertain future for the class. There’s a rework coming down the pipe. I’m not going to get into anyone’s way here as usual, but all the issues you bring forth may be non-issues in late 10.2 or whatever.

If only we can datamine or start a mission to send Chinese ninjas to break into Blizzard HQ to recover the Hunter class/spec talent plans(on a flash drive), and then we can see how it will be played starting next year and in the next expansion.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You certainly MISSED it alright, to speak of the status quo.

I rest my case

1 Like

Tropico 4 humor.

Tropico 4 Chinese Ninjas #Shorts - YouTube

Edit: I find it sad that people can’t take a joke when it’s obvious it’s a joke. So someone like Bepples took it out of the context of the “start a mission to send them to Blizzard HQ to get it on a flash drive”. Because that was as word for word as it got from one of the Tropico 4 campaign levels.

And also because we being so poor that we can’t afford actual Japanese ninjas(the punch line’s punch line). And a small indie company wouldn’t have that tight for plant security…would they?

Don’t let Beeples get you down. He’s been salty for a long-long-long time now.

2 Likes

As the saying goes, hurt people hurt people.

I would have thought he’d get the humor. Because I was really trying to say there’s things we don’t know right now that are there in a can’t-know state.

The “:bow_and_arrow: of a 1,000 Truths” is out there…on a flash drive somewhere in the Irving, CA office complex.

But people will act like if it can’t be at least datamined, it’s not worth the speculation. Because the rework may very well change EVERYTHING, to the point where everything we knew about Hunter from 10.0-10.1.N will be ancient history.

It’s easy to focus on the here-and-now, but that changes quickly. Watch how Microsoft is going to affect things.

I don’t mean to get all George Noory, but something to keep in mind.

So true… Just make sure you keep enjoying what you’re spending your free time doing… Otherwise, find something else.

I shouldn’t be saying this out loud, but Classic has a much better Token economy than Retail. When I found out how much a Token on Classic costs vs. that of Retail, I dropped Retail like it was a hot sack of potatoes. I’m only doing Retail for the TPost content now, just about. That being said, I’ve been selective and picky about DF subject matter. I did hear that the gold was good in DF, but getting upwards of under 300k for a Token now? RIDICULOUS!

But I tell ya, SW City in the Classic server I’m on is CHOCK FULL of people. It actually does feel alive, even at this stage. I can’t wait to start WPvP in earnest when Cata comes out next year. Retail just has too many unknowns: the population, the engagement, what’s going to happen with the support class idea, where Hunters fall in, the apocalyptical event I call the Microsoftening, etc…

Bepples wasn’t even pleased to hear about the thing I said regarding certain developments revolving around a certain Iranian who liked his smokes. Stuff like that affects DF as well. This expansion is Retail WoW in absentia.