What Add On(s) for tracking rare spawns

I think there is a lot of them, so wondering what is best for tracking rare mob spawns in all zones that shows loot table and any other tips/data?

I searched curseforge and found:
rarescanner
raretracker
silver dragon
handynotes
rare alert

those are the most downloaded… do you use 1 or 2 or 3 of these at a time? Thx in advance.

Ive only used rarescanner but i also feel like its the only one i need. Itll short descriptions on how to do some rares/treasures as well sometimes. Its pretty configurable as well.

HandyNotes and Rarescanner are my recommendations of that list. Notes for the location, scanner to yell at me that it’s alive

I only use handynotes. It shows where the rares spawn on the map and adds info about if they need to be spawned or not.

I’ve heard a few people mention using rarescanner but I’ve never tried it myself.

I liked Silver Dragon. It had audio alerts for rares when passing by their spawns. Ones that dropped mounts can have a different sound for them as well. Probably could set it up to do a special sound for rares that drop gear for your armour type as well. Never messed with the settings much.

1 Like

I use RareScanner. My only two minor gripes are that it can list loot drops that aren’t unique to the rare, like 0.12% epic world drop BoEs, without indicating the drop chance or likeliness/uniqueness to that particular mob. And second when scrolling through the UI to disable which rares you want notifications of each one you click off resets you to the top of the list, so you have to scroll waaaayyyyy back down to do the next one and repeat. If you go to settings>addons instead there are much easier checklists, but they don’t show loot or anything, it’s just a list of all the rares for that zone and is still somewhat cumbersome to navigate. Also I’ve never gotten it to go off from a chat notification (like for fallen charger) even though it’s supposed to. Idk what I’m doing wrong there as for fallen charger in particular that’s a pretty big requirement when you could be camping for it literally all day to see it maybe once. Oh if there’s a silver dragon marker on the worldmap for a rare you can also mouse over it and RareScanner will give you a huge list of anything it can drop.

I also use RareTracker in zones where I’m tracking multiple mobs because it creates a really nice list you can put on your screen with timers for when you last saw the rare (including if you found its corpse and clicked it). I use it for the Mogu invasion in Vale of Eternal Blossoms because I’m still missing all 4 of the mounts from rares there.

People will also often pair Rarity with their other addons, just to track their attempts on different rares as well as adding useful drop info (mounts and toys) to the rare’s tooltip, and I’m sure it probably does some other QoL things too.

guess they all kind of do the same thing it seems… so I will pick one and get used to it

I use rarescanner but have a macro to toggle it on and off so it’s only on when I specifically want to use it, otherwise it gets really annoying, really fast.

It can also tell you things you don’t want to know, like the presence of the Time-lost Protodrake when you’re on a flightpath. :sob:

that made me lol

1 Like

I use Tomcat’s tours. It makes it easy to see when stuff is actually up in addition to info about what rares drop, chest locations, etc.