What about NordVPN?

Safe to use? Cuz daym, I am bouncing my IP multiple times a day.
I probably have IP logs from CA, FL, MA, UT, England, Germany, Poland etc.

I, thankfully, have never bought an actual boost of any form or shape…But daym. I just blew like $300 xferring all my toons and like $200 on tokens so I can buy max lego the day it’s out :slight_smile: I wouldn’t want to lose that.

1 Like

you’re fine to use Nord friend…lots of wow players do, including me. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I think those who were put in 1-month WoW prison are looking for an indisputable answer to put in their appeals.

5 Likes

VPNs aren’t supported nor are they forbidden. And you can get banned for one and they’re usually good at overturning it.

One of my guildies got banned for 6 months for one though and even though he provided the logs they still didn’t believe it was a VPN so he ended up making a new account.

He was changing the VPN location mid-game though as he was doing other things on his computer. So that’s probably part of it lol.

2 Likes

So you been boosting with pilots and are worried about getting caught in the ban wave?

Gotta throw that in.

Alrighty then.

2 Likes

You’re so confident & know it all, so you must be doing it!

I use privateinternetaccess, which is super cool, but I turn it off before logging into Wow; I’m paranoid about that. So I only play from my mostly-static cable modem regular IP.

Sometimes I’m on the forums while on the VPN, doing other stuff, or I’m on a different IP at work on the Forums. But I would guess they expect that. They also probably know I could not get from Nebraska to Canada that rapidly.

1 Like

Is tonight just “let’s make up a bunch of stuff to lie about people for fun” night? Did I miss a memo about throwing people we don’t know under the bus?

2 Likes

Rent a Linode and roll your own VPN, why the heck you bouncing your game traffic off the whole spectrum of Nord’s servers? You like playing at 40 ping one hour and 600 the next? It make no sense.

I take my web security seriously. For many reasons. My personal PC has work content, that is sensitive information. I also have 2 virtual machines & 2 extra hardrives (big ones) that I remove and do a number of back ups on & use my brother’s personal cloud :smiley: He is on the whole another level. But he works in a banking industry. His security is top notch and he spends BANK on it. Heck, I don’t even have Facebook.

But nah, when I run keys or raids, I make sure yo connect to a proper server.

I even have Yubico!!! :smiley: :smiley: I am a psycho. (I work on healthcare)

edits for typos & clarfication

this still lowkey pisses me off, getting banned simply for suspicious behavior is BS imho. but what can you do.

I use NordVPN, the trick is to not to jump nodes, if you connect from Mexico to play wow for example, you have to keep using the Mexico node when playing wow. Jumping from node to node will eventually flag the account and you’ll have to do a password reset quite often.

2 Likes

Best advice, don’t game on that machine. Video games are notorious for having security flaws. Look at Warden, no one outside of Blizzard really know what it scans for.

3 Likes

I turn off my machine a few times a day, and on every start up it auto connects me to a random server.

And yeah, I’ve been told that. But I have invested so much into this one…yeah, I could…but then I’d need to get another desk… Hence all the security in place. It’s down to muscle memory at this point.

To get to my actual work stuff, you need to physically obtain my 2FA stick on my keychain. IDK if those are still a thing. It’s work issued. I rarely see those today. It’s like a little pager.

Anyway. I didn’t get banned…yet. So we’re fine. But in WoW, heck, if Blizz looked at my account, it’s rather embarrassing. I don’t think I statistically fall in the category of a boster/boostee.

The database is blizzards.
The character is blizzards.
they have all the data on their end.

A VPN only protects you from your ISP spying on your traffic and selling the data from to marketing companies for targeted marketing.

you still log into your account with your information.

a VPN can show that your IP is bouncing around the world, but that could also be considered partially malicious, or depict to them that you lost access to your account as your IP is changing geographic locations X times a day.

if they did a script to see who in the database rose 40 levels within x time frame, they could easily see who is boosting. for instance as an example

they could even run it when the database isn’t being accessed by the populace, ie, a maintenance period.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wonder if that’s how they flag those… Someone who zero record of raiding, or day 1 of first 60 gets insta full Heroic run & NOT a guild run.

Or someone who is just starting M+ with 205 ilvl and has full groups of complete randoms of 2.7 IO…

I’d imagine they also fingerprint your machine and/or individual install.

So positives are probably a combination of things like mage tower runs always being on different IP’s, different machines and different installs which then go back to a previous machine after completing the tower.

And if they fingerprint machines and installs and they know which ones are piloting accounts it’s pretty cut and dry. Twenty different accounts all getting their mage tower completed on the same machine would be pretty suspicious.

You don’t take your web security seriously if you are doing what you are saying. If you put sensitive information on a consumer operating system that is loaded with consumer software, and expose it to a consumer VPN, it is in a constant state of compromise. That freedom of information on your system is why consumer software is cheap. Consumer software both gets no effort put into security, and consumer software harvests your information. What you are saying makes about as much sense as someone with a quadruple bypass on an oxygen tank claiming to be a top marathon runner.

3 Likes

It still exists. A bit outdated compared to NASA IT systems and security tbh…I believe your security bragging is an ego boost. If you weren’t banned move along and stop creating excuses for the WoW prisoners to put in their appeals.

A real security IT discloses and boasts NOTHING. They are exactly like Pokemon Trainer Red: “…”

Probably scans for illidan in its free time?