What a fun little faction war that was

I loved the suspenseful and seriousness of queing raid finder to kill deathwing every week

3 Likes

It really wasn’t. It was a trap that failed, meaning that the Horde lost one of the easiest to defend cities that they’ve ever held and dumped all the residents into Orgrimmar.

It kinda sucks being tied up and beaten with a stick for everyone’s amusement while the guy yells “are you having fun yet?!” It wasn’t fun for my 8th birthday and it isn’t fun now >/

2 Likes

Say what you want about this expansion but it’s pretty damn true to form that the Horde never cares about having an immoral warchief or doing horrible things until it directly affects them. That part at least was accurate.

10 Likes

So, I can tell you that’s distinctly untrue on the two servers I primarily played on this expansion. Yeah, there were quite a few that were either apathetic about it or so jazzed that “We GeT tO bE tHe BaD gUyS aGaIn.”

But you couldn’t log on and not see a global chat screaming about something. Usually it was one group saying, to the effect of, “I hate this. I didn’t join the Horde to be glorified antagonists” or “This isn’t what the Horde is supposed to be about.” while another group yelled mockingly; “MUH HONOR”

It wasn’t really BFA itself that got me to stop playing it for spans of weeks or months at a time. It is how infuriating it’s made the Horde playerbase.

Player reaction isn’t really a factor. Look at your two camps here: Sylvanas loyalists gleefully kicked puppies and ate orphans so obviously they didn’t have a problem with the things they did. Saurfang loyalists on the other hand merely thought the way Sylvanas conducted herself was dishonourable, they had no issues with the deaths they caused either, it was all about their honour and how it affected them. You think they wouldn’t have done the same if it met their rigid definition of honour? Winding back to MoP, the Horde entire had no problem supporting Garrosh’s conquest until he turned on them too.

5 Likes

Hence I noted Iron Horde, Legion, and Old Gods, which had no Wrathgate moment.

I think that points toward more awful writing than anything. Lets have an honest and open conversation. I’ll stop trolling.

My argument is that infighting in between the Alliance and the Horde and the temporary coalition we have to come to face this threat makes for more of a compelling story than just already being together and facing the threat.

IMO WoD was terrible in a story sense. We were essentially one faction right away. At least in WotLK we had a lot more moments ToC, ICC, WG, UC. They did it extremely well then. Night and day compared to what we have now and had in WoD.

Genn/Sylvanas stuff was a highlight for me in Legion. Did you think it was bad? There entire conflict started in Cata which had a lot of fighting between the factions.

In terms of Old gods. AQ and Naxx was then end of vanilla, it made sense to come together then. Uludar we were still at odds but had to come together, even in the trailer Garrosh wanted to attack Varian. SoO and MoP involved an old god, or the heart/sha’s of one, and we were very much at odds then, even in the end where Varian told the Horde that he’d end them if they failed to uphold honor.

All of this has made for great story to me and I really don’t want that to be completely and utterly eliminated. There should be conflict in some sense to make things more interesting. It just adds on to the storytelling.

With Tyrande/Genn unhappy with the way things ended and the Zandalari losing their King, they have the opportunity to create discontent in both the Alliance and the Horde which in turn could create conflict that the main leaders don’t want.

That to me would be an interesting concept. The Horde and Alliance trying to maintain peace while certain factions within are fighting each other on both sides.

2 Likes

Uhm excuse me we where there! Don’t you remember it was like a 80s coca-cola commerical, Saurfang was sitting on the curb all sad and Anduin sat down next to him

Whats wrong champ?
All the Horde has lost their way, it makes me sad
Aw… gives a little smile it can’t be all bad, remember your honor?
But… but I can’t do this alone
puts hand on his shoulder and gives him a coke…er i mean sword we’ll be there with you buddy reassuring smile

woot!

4 Likes

Both camps are okay with the war. Kind of.

Sylvanas’ reason she gave was because the Alliance was, obviously (/s), going to attack the Horde first and wipe them out and the only way to level the playing field was to attack first.

Saurfang wants the Horde to survive and bought into what she initially said. However, they carried the war out in two vastly different ways. Yes, if you fought to the death, you were going to die. Saurfang also asked that you take people back alive to be released after questioning. But, why then? Why stick around with the Horde when that went out the window? Solidarity and the Blood Oath. The Horde has to do what the Warchief says… or; Leave, be exiled, be killed, or fight the Warchief… And all fighting Sylvanas would do is show that you are really bad at decision making. Which seems to be the Horde’s general MO.

Leading into the rest of it and the Horde’s willingness to go to war over spilled beans…? Gonna point to Nemzer.

The orcs are supposed to be as intelligent or slightly less intelligent than your normal human. Yet they’re rallied into war for reasons that hold up little to any sort of questioning what so ever. They’ve had… I think a total of three or four good reasons to go to war, and at least one of them was a lie.

Normally, I’d say it’s silly that the Horde would be the same today as it was Cata-MoP era. Because then, you could at least make an argument as to why it made sense for that war to start. Why the Horde would think it was a pretty decent idea.

But, by now, the Horde should be able to see through it when people are trying to manipulate them. I think Blizzard is against any faction or person learning from past mistakes. (You know. Despite having that great speech from Saurfang about doing just that in WotlK.)

1 Like

Blizzard achieved true faction equality by making everyone miserable and depressed.

17 Likes

Jokes on them, I was already miserable and depressed.

13 Likes

I like this only because of your wit. Not your true frustration.

Eh I don’t take offense to it. I may be either melancholy or really angry most of the time but your average forum discussion won’t annoy me. It’s not like playing Overwatch >_>

1 Like

There is absolutely 0 chance that Sylvanas will die.

2 Likes

Didn’t the game director call it a Horde win in the 8.1 reveal?

3 Likes

Yeah I like how some claim Alliance won even though we gained nothing and only lost stuff or at best reclaimed zones we already had except with less people alive.

We were winning at one point, but that opportunity was never seized and Azshara destroying the fleet after didn’t help either. Then Anduin signs a treaty with nothing given over by the Horde, it’s silly.

Second time this happened too. Exactly how the Cata-Mist war ended, Alliance losing cities and zones and gaining nothing in the end by teaming up with one side of the Horde.

2 Likes

It’s interesting until it’s done to death. And with Blizzard, it’s been done to death, brought back, and done to death again.

Blizzard has exactly two stories:
• Morally-upstanding heroic type is “corrupted”
and
• Edgelord villain was right all along YOU FOOLS!

This is why the Mercy character in Overwatch was suspected to be like an “evil doctor” type… until they actually made an evil doctor-type that filled literally every single hint of that in Mercy’s story.

I guess waifu powers triumph over Blizzard’s two stories?

3 Likes

Please, God NO! If that abortion of a story is what we can expect from faction wars in the future, then just no.