We're not making enough noise about layering

Seems to me like the people who hate layering are making plenty of noise. Up to and including “I quit” threads before the game is even out.

Maybe you’re just the minority.

9 Likes

Layering is what is going to kill this game. It will be exploited for resources and escaping pvp encounters. At the same time ruining server community and making guild finding more difficult because of the layers spreading out the players to separate layers.

33 Likes

This is nothing more than paranoid hyperbole.

10 Likes

These both harm gameplay though. It would be extremely game breaking if you had a time limit or had to go to an inn/city to switch. Best solution I’ve heard and one I now urge people to suggest is limiting it to the 1-20 zones.

Friendships are sometimes built over time though. You don’t friend every single person you interact for 1 second with. If you keep seeing this same other player interacting with you constantly from the connected world you might end up being friends with that person. With layering you might only see them once and never again even if they are leveling in the same spot as you (just on another layer). It’s like saying you would have met your girlfriend if she was in another timeline where you didn’t exist.

10 Likes

Players being able to farm 3x the amount of rare resources is not hyperbole.

20 Likes

Dude, you don’t even know enough about me to tell me how I should make friends in game.

1 Like

You don’t seem to be reading what I’m saying. You wouldn’t be able to make these friends because the opportunities don’t exist due to layering. ex. you can’t be friends with someone who doesn’t exist.

7 Likes

By definition, layering affects the entirety of a continent, so picking and choosing zones is a call for sharding instead. Maybe it would be better, maybe not? I’m not sure at this point.

What do you think is worse: players being able to potentially exploit resources such as Black Lotus or having to go to Orgrimmar if they want to run a dungeon with a friend that they realize isn’t in the same layer?

2 Likes

These opportunities certainly exist.

A single ‘layer’ is essentially the same as a vanilla server in size, which means you’ll encounter the same amount of players you normally would have in vanilla.

3 Likes

I should be able to decide what “opportunities” on how I meet people. Don’t need anyone tell me that I’m doing it wrong.

1 Like

I think having to go to Ogrimmar to switch layers would be worse because at least I can ignore people exploiting.

1-20 zone sharding would be better than both of these though by far.

It’s not up for you to decide. It’s simply a fact you won’t see some people due to layering. You can’t become friends with someone you never meet.

5 Likes

Sharding would NOT be better. Sharding is what has caused the issues with people phasing in and out at random in BFA zones.

2 Likes

So what? Why should I get my undies in a wad about it? I meet plenty of people in game. if I like running around with them, I put them on my friends list, it doesn’t take me days to decide who to add to my friends list.

Why should I expect to be friends if I never met them.

1 Like

Which is exactly what people can do right now. Lots of videos/posts out there of people being flung between layers. To be clear I’d rather have no layering I’m just trying to meet in the middle and sharding the start zones seems like a good answer to that (especially when Blizzard said they want all of this gone within a few weeks).

I’m not trying to convince you to be friends with anyone I’m just posting an issue people have about layering. You are taking this too personally and I’m talking about this in a wide sense. Obviously you are allowed to enjoy whatever you enjoy.

7 Likes

He said 1-20 zone sharding, not global sharding.

In layering, will people phase in and out as they join and leave groups in other layers?

I’m aware of what he said, and yes they will appear to phase out if they join a group and transfer to a different layer. In that moment, layering would appear to behave like sharding. Beyond that, however, you will never see that happen.

1 Like

Like I said earlier, Layering is not an issue for me. You are seeming to take umbrage to my opinion.

I’m just commenting on the invisible affects of layering because this is a layering thread and your comment was relevant to what I was going to say. I have no quarrel with your personal enjoyment and like I said you are obviously allowed to enjoy what you enjoy I’m not arguing with that.

So why wouldn’t doing 1-20 zone sharding be better than layering in this case? You wouldn’t get people teleporting mid-pvp in contested zones, you wouldn’t get anyone exploiting mid-high items, and you would solve the congestion problem in the areas that are problematic.

Remember Blizzard wants to get rid of it in a few weeks anyway and even with layering people will be appearing similar to sharding just because of how hyper inflated those start zones are and the tons of layers/grouping going on. You wouldn’t even notice the difference while playing and nearly all the exploit problems would be solved.

Because the only way you’d see layering behave like it would in the example I offered is if the player was joining the group of a friend or guildmate in a DIFFERENT LAYER. They will not change layers just by joining with other people from that layer. The cohesiveness of the layer is intact for the most part, which is a far cry from how sharding works.

4 Likes

If it becomes a problem they will fix it. Let them focus on a good launch that expects to bring a lot of old players back.

Settle down big fella.

1 Like