We're not making enough noise about layering

If it’s for everyone, then the new players will enjoy their layered new player designated servers. I’m not leaving them out of the experience from what I said am I? They will enjoy the layering so much I’m sure they will migrate over to BFA after.

No .You are telling them you are better and they should sit in the back of the bus.

2 Likes

Never said that. Classic is like a pizza with some really funky cheese on it. Some people are going to think it’s the greatest thing they have ever had (like me), but some people just aren’t going to like it. This isn’t a new player versus old player issue. There will be plenty of long time vanilla vets that don’t like giving up their flying mounts, heirlooms or LFD.

1 Like

Layering is absolutely horrid. If they must have it, limit it to the 1-20 starting zones. It might still cause exploits with low level gathering professions, but it’s better than it being everywhere like it is in beta. Its proven to be a failure already, so personally I would rather just have longer login queues like we used to. If I wanted to play sooner, I should have got on sooner.

3 Likes

Reason! Thank you Millianna

1 Like

They have been. There are a bunch of videos posted here:

Basically how I feel.

The reality is, I don’t have to purchase their items. And I don’t have compete with them on the AH either, if they’re trying to manipulate the Layers to farm mats. There are other ways to bank in the gold to get things paid for.

I think that the blizz team realizes that the bulk of the community do not want layering/sharding but they feel it has to happen in order to save the game from the potential of the ghost town effect.

I didn’t like phasing when it came in wrath of the lich king either but I get why they did it. In hind site, it could have been implemented better. With wow classic lets hope this is a chance for them to implement the offspring of phasing better, layering/sharding.

Look up “Familiarity Principle” or “Mere Exposure Effect”. We are programmed to be wary of the foreign and unknown, while we are also programmed to think more fondly of the familiar.

This applies to human interaction, and it is why CRZ and layering are horrible for the community. When you meet someone new out in the world, you are unlikely to engage in meaningful interaction because you do not know them. Your brain tells you to ignore them and move on. However, if you meet that person again, and again out in the world, your brain begins to reorganize your perception of that person, even if there is no real reason to. That person becomes more familiar to you as you see their name out in the world regularly.

If a druid buffs you in the Barrens, you’ll probably buff them back, wave, and move on. If that same druid buffs you again in Ashenvale, saves you from a gank in Desolace, then heals you after pulling too many mobs in Feralas, you’re much more likely to remember their name and think positively of them. That positive opinion and human nature leads to a greater chance of actually forming friendships. If you met that druid the Barrens, but was layered away from him in the other zones, then he’s just that druid who buffed you a month ago that you forgot about the day after.

8 Likes

Well said. Id add the random dungeon finder to this. It removed a large chunk of the player base from the world in favor of lazy, quicker gearing from randoms. This was especially negative for pvp server communities because it created a vacuum that was quickly filled with gankers.

This and. . man. . I can’t belive I am giving away one of my plans. I was already planning on taking a nelf priest to Winterspring to park next to the runecloth bag pattern vendor even before layering was a thing.

Do you know many times I am going to die?
Does that make me an exploiter because I take time out of my leveling main toon? All so I can try to have a chance to get the recipe for my tailor or even put it on the AH?

If the exploitability is not addressed then I will raise my pitchfork with . . well, reasonable people. If not then if anyone buys them up before be abusing this system I can hope it’s just for a week or two.

You really worded this well, and it’s a good explanation of why people who care about the social aspect of the game, have quit BFA and why they are very rightly worried about classic when it comes to layering.
It seems a lot of those that are ok with layering fail to see why anyone cares about socializing in the game, some even suggesting to use things to meet people outside the game instead of actually developing anything in the game itself. Friendships have to develop over time, you can’t force it on first contact with someone knowing you may never see them on your layer again, this is another example of why layers make such a thing difficult.

3 Likes

There ya go again man.

We care too.

But thanks…

How can you serve more than one master? If you catch my drift?

This <expletive- guy, people can’t have differeing opinoins or even slightly different opinions, black and white one side or the other.
obnoxious extremist stupidity.

That’s the thing tho. It just really doesn’t affect me if I chose to not allow it do so. If I farm my own mats, create my own Items-- Those bags from some player manipulating the Layers, doesn’t affect me.

I’ve always been of the mind, the AH was for convenience, not a necessity to play the game.

Don’t get me wrong, Playing the AH is a game within the game. So I do understand how it could affect others.

1 Like

At the time of this reply, 5 of the top-20 topics on this forum are about Layering.

Not only is that plenty of “noise,” but it’s starting to become exactly that: noise.

1 Like

This, 1000000%

1 Like

Not enough, reddit and twitter haven’t been involved, and there hasn’t been much noise on any gaming news sites about how blizzard is making a huge mistake not listening to their players etc etc etc.

2 Likes

!00% agree

1 Like