Weird lore details no one remembers

I’m very curious if anyone on here has any particularly juicy canon tidbits they’d like to share. I know for my part I sometimes read WoW lore that completely changes the context or flavor of something, but no one seems to bring it up or know it happened (especially pre-Cata, WCIII, or novel/comic lore). Now’s your chance to bring it up!

8 Likes

Lothar was ambushed.

14 Likes

Giant sea turtles besides the Wandering Isle exist and were common enough for Warcraft 2-era orcs to make them a part of their navy.

43 Likes

In Desolace, Elune’s fountain allows you to see the dead if you wash your face in it, and if you offer enough souls you gain the ability to summon a giant vortex of flame and shadow that kills everyone in its path.

The artwork depicting the Tear of Elune in Tomb of Sargeras instance shows the Tear on top of a staff that strongly resembles one of the artifact appearances for the Scythe of Elune, which remember is made from attaching a Goldrinn Fang to the Staff of Elune, so perhaps the Tear was originally part of the Staff.

Arcane Sanctums (the solar system models common in some elf architecture) gather arcane energy from ley lines, not the stars.

The Naga and Kvaldir (retcon’d/revealed to be servants of Helya) have been seen to be enemies since Wrath and again in almost every xpac since, which implies a Helya vs Azshara conflict, and possibly a Helya-Neptulon Alliance.

There used to be a troll lore questline in Stranglethorn that stated Trolls were around at the time of the Black Empire. It was removed in the Cata revamp and given the precarious canon of Chronicles, it’s all Schrodingers Canon.

The Tidesage murals in the Shrine of the Storm depict the Tidesages engaging with the waves with tentacles in the background, blessing a ship with runes and moonlight, and Tidesages pouring light-water on one of the acolytes as the tentacles shrink father away toward the edge of the mural. I think the Tidemother is Elune.

In Drustvar, the Lost Sailor’s Memorial uses a broken Night Elf statue and had a prayer to the White Lady. There are human women statue models in game, but they specifically used a Night Elf statue asset, and specifically a statue used in Moonwells in Azsuna, Tomb of Sargeras, and other places. I think the Drust had an Elune connection.

34 Likes

To be fair, there’s a big difference between a turtle the size of a boat and a turtle the size of a zone.

12 Likes

Tauren are carnivores

1 Like

yeah its the reason he said “gian sea turtles besides the wandering isle exists” he didnt say “Zone wide sea turtles exists aside from wandering isle”

3 Likes

Everyone seems to forget about the Vanilla quests where you help develop the blight and report this directly to Sylvanas learning that it’s all being done under her orders.

Another conveniently forgotten bit of lore is the Wrath quests where you help them sneak/ship it into Northrend to set up and prepare for the Wrathgate. And that you did this under orders from Sylvanas. She knew the Blight was there, helped ensure it got there, and intended on using it on everyone.

She was betrayed because they didn’t wait for her command on when to use it and where, they took matters into their own hands and tried to oust her. Which was a mistake, as it allowed her to spin the whole thing as a plot against her that she “knew nothing about” rather than them just betraying her individually.

26 Likes

I’d suggest just about any quest in Wintersprings that had everything from a series of quests Following several doomed searches for a powerful crystal, to an altar that allowed Night Elves to communicate directly with Elune, to even making deals with Satyrs.

6 Likes

My point is that the island turtle and the submarine turtles are probably not the same kind of turtle.

Besides, I’m not even sure how forgotten they are. The Tuskarr still use them as boats.

11 Likes

quite forgettable as they were only used once by blizzard in an expansion that was like 14 years ago or so.

2 Likes

So is, like, Malygos also forgotten lore to you because he hasn’t been used in 14 years?

2 Likes

no because he was a boss while the other thing was jsut a minor detail used by blizzard for non-conventional flying. Its like the log riding in grizzly hills.

draenei have blue blood.

Night elves were making sacrifices from enemies to Elune. In desolace you had to put meat of dead enemies on the altar to get boons.

13 Likes

Forsaken can be turned into Worgen.

7 Likes

I’m not sure how lore relevant it is, but at the Weeping Quarry in Icecrown near the bottom of some water there’s an upside down model of C’thun which might actually be a part of Yogg Saron.

7 Likes

Back in Classic a lot of the early to mid level Eastern Kingdoms enemies were working together in a giant conspiracy to weaken Stormwind. The Defias weren’t doing it alone. Venture Co, Dark Irons, even Zanzil and his voodoo zombies. I think it was one of the leadup quests to either Deadmines or Stockades that revealed this

26 Likes

A human has canonically joined the Horde and it was implied that there were more who were also doing so. One would think this happened under Thrall, or maybe Vol’jin, but no.

It happened under Garrosh.

13 Likes

Thrall had humans work for him as spies, though how much you could call them outright members of the Horde might be debatable.

There was also a dwarf member of the Horde in Classic.

I’m actually curious as to who this was.

2 Likes

Guy had no name that I remember, it was a page in the comics showing him being sworn in, just a random shot. I can’t for the life of me find a pic of it online, I had the physical copy of the comic forever but I’ve moved thrice since then and it’s long gone.

1 Like