Weird flickering boxes when playing WoW

Hi!

This might be a weird issue but I’ve started to notice weird flickering black boxes when playing World of Warcraft, both in Classic and in Retail, however it seems to occur more often in Retail.

I have a Alienware M15 R2 with a 1920x1080 240hz screen as well as RTX 2080 Max-Q card. The game runs well with high framerate but the flickering is concering. What is even more weird that this issue only happens in WoW. Other games (RDR2, MW) doesn’t have this issue at all. To demonstrate the issue, I made two YouTube videos:

Is it the GPU/Screen that is failing or is this a known issue with WoW? I run the the latest Windows 10 (2004) as well as the latest DCH driver for my GPU (446.14). I’ve tried reinstalling drivers multiple times with Display Driver Uninstaller, as well as removing all addons and WTF-folders. This seemed to make it slightly better in Classic, but in Retail it didn’t do anything.

Hope it helps!

Hey, Hashirimasu! Thank you for the details and including the videos! I see the flickering issue here. We’ve seen some issues with the 446.14 drivers and pascal cards (10XX series or newer) experience some texture flickering issues, but I’m not sure if its related to the black box flickering shown here.

There’s a few workarounds for the texture flickering issue. Does it help to change the graphics API to DirectX11 if DirectX12 is being used? We’ve seen some improvements with reverting the drivers to 442.50 or below as well.

Hi,

I am having this same issue. The random black boxes and also screen tearing showing gray static lines. These do NOT appear on screenshots or video recordings. I was able to get the black box to stay on the screen long enough to get a picture on my phone but does not appear on the screenshot. Also when I moved the in game cursor it went behind the black box! Everything is updated, I tried the DirectX11 thing, nothing seems to work. It only happens in world of warcraft!

Downgrade to the 442.50 nvidia drivers and see if it helps.

Caterpepi I think you meant the 442.50 drivers.

Dracara,

Correct! Updating it. Thanks for the callout - it was a typo.

Kagdamai,

If the steps above don’t help you now that we have the right driver version, please create your own thread - we can’t troubleshoot multiple player issues in one thread because it makes things super confusing.

I am having the same issue.
2019 Razer Blade 15 Laptop.
Black boxes flickering in wow.
Ive done tickets with Blizz and Razer.
Even sent my computer in 3x.
Still having the issues.
Anyone able to resolve the flickering???

I am having the same issue. Its been 10 months now. Did you ever figure out how to get them to go away???

I have the same problem… its been a week :confused:

I had the problem on retail and classic wow of the black flickering/flashing squares (it’s specifically around certain particle effects, more so in dark areas) and I have a 10xx or newer card. I have the latest gfx drivers and just installed tbc and the problem came back (because of the new client that reset the settings to default).

The fix for me was to use directx 11 instead of 12 and the problem goes away. It’s slightly less efficient (maybe 1-5fps less) but looks the same and no more black squares! I really would of thought nvidia/blizzard would have fixed this issue by now as it seems to be pretty wide spread.

Found the issue. It’s VRS Mode in settings. If it’s set to anything but “Disabled” you’ll get those weird boxes and distortions in caves and such. Can just turn it off any they’ll go away.

Setting at pretty far down under System > Graphics > Advanced

VRS i believe is newish, and likely not the cause to the issue 4 years ago.

1 Like