Week 1 Dungeon Feedback

With the first week coming to a close i wanted to give some opinions on the dungeons that have been released as of now.

Algeth’ar Academy - 10/10

• well done dungeon all in all. Dense mob packs, perfect amount of casters to not casters. Mobs seem to be hitting perfectly reasonable in damage for the difficulty with a lot of room to scale as m+ becomes available. Mechanics on all the bosses seem very good and are clear on what you should do with them. I would say this is a home run dungeon too as you can choose the route you want to go and room to move around in all areas making it feel like all affixes will be doable here. 10/10 Make more dungeons like this!

Brackenhide Hollow - 1/10

• This dungeon, unfortunately, is the opposite end of the spectrum. Far too many casters and ranged mobs and almost no where to LOS them. Invisible mobs make the dungeon not as accessible to those who cant see invisibilty as well. My suggestion would be to swap about 50% of the casters/ranged with melees (because that’s how bad the discrepancy is) and then fix the geometry to allow for LOSing. There are things now that feel like they should LOS but dont, like the bridge on the south side of the pond. Mobs seem to just fire through the floor of it.
  • Some mobs have AOE fear for 6 second duration which seems absurdly high for how frequently they cast it. It’s interuptable, which is good, but again, with the amount of kicks you’ll already be required to bring for this dungeon, it’s crazy.
  • The dots in here seem to be hitting far too hard. Granted, they can be dispelled on some classes but not all. So if youre a class that doesnt get a dispel that works youre forced to take alchemy or have a bad time. It feels like plaguefall version 2.0 and is a poor design for the same reasons. Please learn from your mistakes last expansion and fix it.
  • There’s also not much room for customization on route as everythign is basically on rails. open cages → first boss → tree mouth → trap guy → last boss. Either that or swap tree mouth with trap guy. This can be a good formula as we saw with Sanguine depths, but in order to do that, there needs to be good mob density that allows for good stacking and mechanics that dont require as many kicks.
  • I understand this isnt in the first seasons rotation, but i cannot emphasize enough how the amount of casters and ranged mobs need to be addressed. If not, this will become a dungeon that no one will do willingly. It will become a dingeon you run once to get io and then never again.

Halls of Infusion - 3/10

• This dungion has potential to be good but theres some things that need looked at. The trash at the start of the dungeon hits too hard and casts too much. The chain rooting is exceptionally unforgiving and very unfun; even for a pally with freedom. This can be interupted which is good, but because you need to interupt the cast the little balls do or your party almost gets 1 shot, it feels bad to waste kicks on a root.
  • The mushrooms effect and the engineering effects are too impactful and punish people who dont have these professions too harshly. The mushroom is also placed in a bad spot for it to make any sense in the dungeon. It really needs to be near the first boss so that you can take advantage of it with the frogs.
  • The frogs are too punishing for classes that dont have a dispel for it. It also stacks up too high too quickly even for those who do have it and causes deaths because the CD on dispel. These frogs can be ccd and coordinated groups will have no issue with this. But newer players and pugs will be absolutely frustrated beyond belief due to this. This feels like a team wide necrotic as everyone will get to a point where they have to kite or die. Experienced tanks are already used to this, the party; not so much.
  • 1st boss is fine. Takes a little practice but nothing too bad.
  • Frog boss is confusing. I have cleared this dungeon multiple times and never realized he got an enrage when he didnt eat someone. A clarification should be made that if the person doesnt get eaten then he will become hangry. Maybe a buff he gets that explains it.
  • Ice boss visuals are too hard to see and are cast too frequently. The tornado is almost invisible, i would suggest adding more color and making them not see through. The tornadoes on the boss from nockhud offensive is exactly how it should look. Additionally, the mechanic that has rings come from the boss and go outward is almost invisible on the first ring and if any ring is in the water. I understand the aesthetic appeal of trying to make it look icy, but its gone too far and needs to have a better visual. The back to back casts are also too close together. There should be some time between to give casters a chance to actually do damage.
  • The hallway with waves is garbage. No part of this hallway should ever be implemented in any dungeon ever again. The strategy for this is to just not play it. Have the tank run to the end, pull everything and then run back to the entrance of the room so you dont have to play the waves. This isnt fun, its not engaging, its annoying.
  • last boss is just bullet hell with no redeeming qualities. It hits too hard and phase 2 is just terrible because it forces you to do the wave hallway again, except now there are little orbs that get in the way and will 2 shot you on m0 and waves that come with no gaps. This takes the worst parts of Muhzala and makes it somehow worse. The only ideas that i have to make this better without a complete redesign is to reduce the damage coming out and make it so that in p2, the whole group moves as one.

Neltharus - 7/10

• The trash in this dungeon is good. No issues. The clotheslines scattered throughout the dungeon feel really good and is a great addition.
  • The bosses, for the most part, feel fine. The one complaint i do have is the last boss though. The items that your rummage from the gold are good in concept. The problem that arises is that during the shield phase, when you have to use the items, the activation of those items takes longer than it takes for the fireballs the boss is shooting to fire out, and land. This is all solved by the activation getting quicker on the items. Additionally, the add that spawns moves too quickly and deals too much ambient damahe. This will scale too hard in higher keys.

Ruby Life Pools - 6/10

• This dungeon is ok but nothing great really with it. The first half of the dungeon, up to the drakes that take you to the upper level are great! When you get to the upper level is when things take a turn.
  • The on death portions of the large fire elemental packs that do blaze of glory and the explode are not fun and punish melee pretty hard.
  • The 2nd boss is going to be fine for semi coordinate groups, but the room denial portion of the fight is going to be unfun with pugs or new players. Maybe make the room denial smaller on the death of the add and add an arrow to show what direction the fireball is going to roll.
  • The trash before the last boss feels like it hits too hard in an aoe and will scale too hard for a mob that you cant skip in higher keys. Tune the damage down or make it so thst we can out play it some how.

The Azure Vault - 3/10

• This dungeon is visually great. I really enjoy the feeling of throwback to WOTLK in the nexus feel.
  • The vapors and the stun at the start of the dungeon feels exceptionally bad. It wrecks tanks and hits way too hard.
  • If a whelp is triggered and the trash is spawned it is too hard to deal with and doesnt go back to statue form after a whipe.
  • first boss is fine once you undersrand the mechanics.
  • the rings that you have to kill trash around are terrible. The constant aoe roots suck. They prevent melee from playing this section of the dungeon. Additionally, the comet storm ability has a blue swirly indicator on a blue floor. This makes it impossible to see and needs to be adjusted.
  • the 2nd boss is fine except the ambient damage in p2 is too high, and the balls he shoots out are too large and frequent. This prevents melee from playing this phase.
  • the trash for the rest of the dungeon is fine.
  • 3rd boss is perfect, may even be in need of a buff or two to be honest, but mechanic wise it seems great.
  • last boss, honestly seems fine as well. May be a touch too high on damage but mechanically, everything seems fine.

The Nokhud Offensive - 4/10

• If you’re bad at dragon flying this dungeon feels like garbage and will be next to impossible to time. Though, I commend the effort in making something completely unique.
  • On the ballista boss, too much trash that is ranged and not enough places to LOS to group it up.
  • All bosses are actually really nice and unique. I enjoy those. I would say though that it’s a little unclear what is happening on The raging tempest, but I think that will come the more people do the dungeons. It does seem to be hitting a little hard but I think that may be because of grabbing too many orbs at once.
    The trash that stacks mortal strike sucks. I dont know why this was added when necrotic was just removed for not being fun. Its the same mechanic. Please just remove the mortal strike bs.

Uldaman - 5/10

• Honestly, everything is fine with this dungeon, but there’s nothing unique about it and nothing incredibly fun. It’s the definition of a “meh” dungeon. It’s all on rails but has decent mob density. There is a concern that the flame shield boss will have scaling issues with m+, but nothing bad right now.
  • The aoe from the golem trash mobs hit too hard in an aoe. This will not scale well in higher keys.
  • The RP portion at the end of the dungoe where one player is frozen in time also needs to be removed. No one likes to be stunned for like half a minute.

All in all the dungeons seem to have taken a new direction from previous expansions and seasons and have added a ton of CC mechanics that impact players and specifically the tank. I can unequivocally state that this is possibly the worst direction that we could have gone in. No one likes having the ability to play your own character removed. There are also too many dispels, and too many casters in general. Lastly, there is a severe lack of LOS spots in all the dungeons. It feels like the lessons that should have been learned from the last expansion were not learned and the bad parts doubled down on.

That being said, its not all doom and gloom. There are some really good bones to make this better. Many of the dungeons have easy fixes, i just hope that the appropriate fixes are made.

4 Likes

Hopefully Blizzard looks at your effort invested and considers some of your changes.

On the other hand, I disagree with you on more than a few of your points. Based on some of your statements you’re either playing with tanks that don’t know how to interrupt or position mobs, or DPS that stand in fire and don’t pay attention to mechanics such as interrupt requirements.

My 2¢

3 Likes

Hey thanks for the feedback, could you clarify on what points you disagree with?

Also, for clarification, i play all classes (tanks included), but i try to write my feedback to take account for the experienced player as well as the new player. My team i run with regularly have little problems with some of the mechanics (albeit a few are a little overtuned), but looking at it as if i were a strictly pug player or someone just starting out i think helps fix some of the issues that could create a barrier to entry.

they’re supposed to be cced and burned down, or kited as a last resort. you’re not intended to facetank them and spam dispels.

how so? they’re going to be the last thing to die and all you have to do is move out of the circle before the cast goes off, right? it’s a very generous cast time even with no speed boosts.

i think this is fine but we will absolutely see pugs disband almost immediately due to oblivious people running straight into the very first whelp

I agree! I think i even mentioned that coordinated groups would see no issue at all with this. I only mentioned that new players would hate it and pugs would hate it.

This comment is more from the aspect of pugs again which have a habit of target biggest mob and kill it asap. If this happens, because the rest of the pack is ranged, then melee cant do anything while the pack poops on them. I get the mechanic isnt hard, but mechanics like this are things that make new players quit.

Thanks for your feedback!

just put a skull on it. from what i’ve seen, most pugs interpret that as “don’t kill this or else!” :smiley:

1 Like

Lol that is so true it hurts lol

1 Like

New dungeons are solid, but nothing incredibly memorable. Too much re-use of outdoor accessible environments (really making them 5 man scenarios rather than dungeons), but that approach has been going on for a while now.

IMO:
Most fun - Neltharus
Least - Brackenhide

People always say " from pugs perspective". Doesn’t matter if guild group or pugs. Low level players will struggle with mechanics. I do high keys and many times I’ve had exceptional pugs. Hell I ppugged some 29s and timed them in pure pugs.

I disagree with many points. I might say few dungeons are harder than others but I’ve found them very fun. Bracken is really fun. Constant big pulls and you mention required kicks but you can pretty much ignore all but fear.

Pug perspective and “new players” is the new blanket statement for people who suck.

Not all new players are using 8 and 9 as a key und without an mmo mouse. Not all pugs are giga trash. There are definitely some mechanics that need to be handled, but good players work that ish out before they start.

Last bosses of Ruby Life Pools, Uldaman, and probably Azure Vault should get nerfed. The DPS requirement for the first two already feels very steep, and Umbrelskul is rough with weak snap damage for the crystals.

Edit: Uldaman isn’t in the M+ rotation, but I still think the cycling on Tyrannical will be ridiculous for Chrono-Lord Deios if it ever hits M+.

Why ulda? That dungeon is a joke and would argue last boss should be made harder.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. What do you disagree with? At the end of the day i just want more people playing. Thats the ultimate goal. If dungeons are too hard or specific mechanics are unfun, people will just not play it. With regards to your question of what does a “pugs perspective” mean. In this context, its in regards to the majority of players (who are not pushing 29’s) who found 15’s tough. Players who are experienced and have good handle on their character will find ways to overcome regardless of the challenge. Those who arent will simply just not play. Therefore if we can identify what things the average player finds unfun and find a way to keep it challenging at higher key levels but not too punishing at lower levels then that will result in more player base playing more dungeons.

The bosses room denial is very large per cast and will quickly get out of control. On high tyranical keys when the fight lasts for minutes, unless the room denial per cast is reduced it will be tough to beat. Everything else is manageable.

I disagree with a few points you’ve made.

For Brackenhide, even as much of a pain that it is, is completely controllable as far as the fears go. Once you understand that Warscourges are doing Hideous Cackle, which is the fear, you are able to know which enemy to interrupt. Furthermore, they only do after they have done their Ravager spin + blood attack after it, so it is very predictable when they will fear. As far as invisible enemies go, simply do not go the Gnoll way after the first boss - go the wooded tree/lasher way. No invisible enemies that way. There are only two packs of invisible enemies on the middle road, between the bear and the gnoll on the bridge that disorients with a frontal cone. Just get used to knowing where they are. You can even mark their location with a raid marker to help the tank if you want.

You also say there is no customization on route. Really? Like, REALLY? This dungeon, above all other, has loads of room for customization. The first part where you are freeing the prisoners, I have seen people go all kinds of different routes to free them - even out into the water. After the first boss, you can either go the gnoll way or the tree way. That’s a lot of choice just in that.

As for requiring LOS, I can’t say that I have ever felt like I needed to LOS any enemy in there, but granted I do usually go the wooded way and pull my packs carefully as the tank. At no time have I ever felt like an enemy was so far away that I couldn’t aggro it. Maybe a little too far for aoe damage, but it’s still better than the spread out packs in Azure with frogs jumping everywhere.

As for Ruby Life Pools, I find that a lot of groups experience a lot of damage with the packs before the last boss because they are not interrupting the two Flame Channelers. Again, just as in the Brackenhide dungeon, once you know which mob to focus, it makes the whole thing a lot easier. Flame Channelers do a ridiculous amount of damage, but they are 100% interruptable.

Azure Vault: you criticize that the roots punish melee too much. You are surely talking about the Chains spell that the Seekers do. These are the blue dragons on 4 legs that are always the middle mob of a pat, consisting of 3 enemies total. Chains will always be their second spell cast. Simply interrupt it and you aren’t chained any more. The only other chain mechanic I know of in that dungeon comes from the very tall purple geo looking dude, of which I think there are only 2 in the whole dungeon. Simply don’t be in the radius for that ability and you won’t be chained.

Nokhud: I don’t see how anyone could be “bad at dragon riding”. Simply press spin and and the lunge forward a few times on your dragon and aim for the tornadoes? If you find dragon flying so hard that you “will find this dungeon impossible to time”, maybe M+ is not for you.

I have no idea what you’re on about with “taking away the ability to play your own character” and everything else in that last paragraph of yours.

I think Blizzard has done a great job with the dungeons overall. It sounds like half of your issues would be solved by simply interrupting spells more.

I don’t think it’s fine, the trash should go back to petrified form if you wipe. It’s just too punishing otherwise. Literally ending the key because someone ran 2 yards the wrong way.

For the overwhelming majority of people doing keys pulling an extra pack shouldn’t end the key. I’m not saying it won’t happen, but it’s a major overreaction, and that overreaction is the problem, not a skippable trash pack that stops being skippable upon player error.

it’s not so much “we won’t time the key because of this extra pack”, it’s more “i don’t know if i want to spend another 30 minutes in a group with people who can’t avoid the enormous, slow-moving blue circles”

And I realize there is a judgment call here, but I think a lot of us can recognize from context if this is someone who is going to be a problem for the rest of the key or someone who made a dumb mistake but should be fine going forward.

If it’s a situation with someone who shouldn’t be there, then the mechanic is great to figure out early and not waste time. If it’s just a mistake, kill the extra trash and go time the key =)

Either way, I don’t see the trash not resetting as a major issue at all.

1 Like

Definitely depends on the tuning of said trash packs as well. Can’t count out a situation where those pulls effectively brick the key due to their difficulty on top of the full wipe that would likely be caused by them being added to a pull unintentionally.

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying, but at the same time, as long as they don’t make the timers wildly more challenging than they’ve been in the past, a wipe doesn’t have to be the end of a key at the levels that most people are playing. Sure, on the cutting edge there is no room for error, but I have definitely timed 20s that included a wipe.

If someone clearly doesn’t belong and they’re going to be wiping the group over and over again, for sure, bail. But anyone who bricks a key in a 15 for a simple mistake that is still easily correctable for an on time finish is overreacting.