We should have a Draenei Quest to explain Shaman

We wont get one because theyre grandfathered in, but if theres any race/class combo that doesn’t make sense, its the Draenei being Shaman.

2 Likes

They had a whole short story about it years ago.

7 Likes

The lore for this was written in Vanilla, then expanded in BC.

2 Likes

I mean it should be comparable to Red Draenei or the allied races. Its illogical that a light-race webt elemental.

It’s not. Read the lore.

1 Like

They literally lived with the shamanistic orcs before they crashed at our place

Nobundo’s whole backstory is the explanation for Draenei Shamans.

EDIT: Also, Draenei Shaman had their own unique class quests back in pre-Cata. If someone really wants to dig into the lore of Draenei Shamans, they can either just read Nobundo’s short story or load up Classic Wrath and make a Draenei Shaman.

5 Likes

Farseer Nobundo tells his story in the Exodar.

1 Like

I remember this. I made a draenei shaman simply in the hopes these would exist and explain the class/race combo. And they did.

Imagine that, going into the game to play the thing I didn’t like to learn about it. MADNESS.

But those weren’t criteria for them to be playable.

If I should roll a Draenei Shaman my explanation is that they had family with the Broken and when they were reunited their family member (father, Uncle etc) offered to train them in what they learned and due to family love and the fact they never found a niche in classic draenei jobs they accepted.

This guy was a Draenei for awhile. I read the wikis. It all “makes sense” but its mind blowing to me that other complaints - warlock, DK - saw such outrage and Shaman didnt. As i said in another thread, we know Draenei wasnt the choice for TBC, they were shoehorned in, and they picked a light-based race as the one to deliver shaman to the Alliance in what i think was not well thought out.

I love farseer, but why would a Draenei forsake the Light?

Eh, I don’t think they’d “forsake the Light” by choosing to become a Shaman to them it’s probably just another facet of the Light.

Oh it did, I was there. I think it was overshadowed by the idea that Archimonde’s species, who we had only seen in Warcraft3 as an enemy, could actually be holy goodguys. And even THAT was overshadowed by the “Horde gets Paladins/Alliance gets Shaman” uproar. Not to mention “Ew, Horde elves?!?”

Basically EVERYONE was upset over SOMETHING at that time. The more recent complaints stand out a little more because the overall background amount of rage has leveled off to a steady permanent-grumble.

If your issue is with race/class combos that weren’t mentioned in earlier expansions/games before being made playable, you’d also have to include Dwarven and BElven Paladins, any non-Orc Warlocks, Tauren Druids (I know, I know), Night Elf Priests (being functionally identical to Priests of the Holy Light) or Troll Mages, and several more.

1 Like

Who said they had forsaken the Light? Shamanism is listening to the ancestors and elements. That doesn’t mean the Light suddenly got the middle finger.

It seems to me that a lot of these abilities, Shamanistic and Light-based both, follow what I like to call the Jackie Gleason Principle. The great man once said:

If you have it and you know you have it, then you have it. If you have it and you don’t know you have it, you don’t have it. If you don’t have it but you think you have it, then you have it.

By that principle (at least in my opinion) Nobundo didn’t forsake the Light, he lost confidence in his ability to connect with the Light. Ergo, he no longer had it. Likewise with Thrall – the Elements didn’t tell him to go soak his head, he lost confidence in his ability to connect.

I love this mental image, though.
[Fire Elemental] You have abused our power. Go soak your head!
[Wind] Yeah!
[Earth] Yeah!
[Water] Ye- wait a sec.

1 Like