We need range Survival Hunters back

I actually see no problem with the devs having to team split over the issue. Devs get paid a hell of a lot (I say this as an IT graduate and someone who also went back to school for CS/Forensics), so this really isn’t as big a deal as it’s being made out to be.

I would also like to point out that if the only selling point for MSV is 1v1, it’s not a very good one. Again, this is further segregating the spec into only certain player types and probably why I’ve yet to see any MSV hunters in PVE content.

I’m all for making a 4th spec for melee and allowing SV to retain its original dot specification, which tons of people loved having. This does not break the class, but it does make it more complex and we actually NEED more of that right now.

For years we’ve been sold this idea and told that we need to be mid-range/low-ball DPS, but when it gets to the point that hunters will get benched over lots of other classes that can bring more DPS AND utility to a raid: This is an issue.

A lot of our core talents have just been completely gutted/swapped to talents/separated between the specs BADLY and it looks like Blizzard doesn’t care to do anything about it (I would argue similarly that some classes like enhance shams/feral druids are also in a bad place).

Blizzard needs to do a MUCH better job at making classes:

• Fun to play/Enjoyable
  • Competitive with each other

Glad to see this still going. I’m even getting Tempted to finish leveling this guy.

I don’t mind if they don’t balance this spec around PvP at all. It was Hunter’s go to for pve and it was great.

Thanks for all the support guys. Hopefully we are heard for the next update

1 Like

I find the irony of this statement hilarious. Considering 95% of your posts are simple “MSV best spec” spam with no thought put into what you typed. You respond like a broken record to incite the players who prefer ranged survival and want a spec they played for over a decade to come back. So please, before you complain at someone else for being unproductive to the topic at hand, take a look at what you are typing first.

Personally, I truly feel a 4th spec is in Blizzards best interest for this scenario. Especially when you stop and ask why they did it for Feral and Guardian. They did it because they had 2 spec’s derived from the same talent tree. Now look at what they have done to MM? They have a mix of old SV’s skills as talents in a failed attempt to derive 2 different playstyles(specs, per say). It’s not working. It hasn’t worked since they first tried it.

And as others have said. it’s cool you enjoy melee Survival. I’m glad you enjoy it. I’m glad a tiny percentage of the playerbase enjoys it. But it’s rude to just dismiss the opinion of everyone who played and still longs for ranged Survival. Remember, Ranged SV was one of the most popular spec’s before they killed it in preperation for Legion, much like Demonology.

7 Likes

Tldr

Yea, you’re better of trying to get BM melee and SV ranged, than motioning for a fourth spec.

But go ahead, keep that hope alive, it’s really good to focus on a dead spec, and not unhealthy at all.

I just feel sorry for all y’all.

Also melee Hunter best Hunter.

Melee Hunter, your not hunters anymore, you are EQ Beast Masters. WoW could either
1 Just release the EQ BM class in WoW as the next hero spec
-or
2 Release the Ranger class they have eluded to and just switch all hunter classes as melee

Either of those choices make more sense to me than ruining my ranged trap spec to represent and entirely different class. (was quite a shock to come back to the game to find myself just holding some stupid melee weapon.

5 Likes

Funny how you got my name attached to that quote^^

Anyway, I’m not entirely sure what Kindwolf meant with that. I mean, sure, working on/creating a new spec for a class will take up a fair bit of time. It always does. However…

The core of that spec, the concept is already there. It was worked out years and years ago. Give us, Explosive Shot, Black Arrow and Serpent Sting along with some other core abilities for Focus builder(s), mid-range CD, some sort of focus dump.
The rest involving pets, passive effects, talents and so on, those are just nuances that are ofc important. They are there to further enhance that core concept. To further define the identity of this new spec.

Personally, I’ve been quite vocal in terms of posting what things I would like to see for this spec.

The nuances, such as what talents we want, what passives, how much pet involvement there should be, we all have our preferences here.
But the thing that essentially all(almost) agree on, is the core that we saw with that old DoT-spec. Explosive Shot, Black Arrow, Serpent Sting.

Compared to creating an entirely new class, the amount of work required to bring this DoT-spec back, is a whole lot less.

Compared to introducing a new class, the re-introduction of the past Survival spec, reworked to fit design philosophies of today, already has a sizeable amount of players that really want it to come back. Both a lot of current as well as previous players of the Hunter class want to see it return.

Originally, I supported the idea of bringing that old ranged DoT-playstyle into the MM spec through talent choices. I’ve since then, changed my opinion.
Why?
First off, the way they did it with Legion, did not work out at all.

Even if they would actually have brought Explosive Shot over to work like it did in the past and not that weird AoE-based precision-shot, would I have felt that it was a good way to handle it.
I mean, imagine if they suddenly decide to “merge” the two, Rogue-specs Assassination and Subtlety. Let’s delete Subtlety and put a few abilities into Assa- talents.
Or…
The two Warrior-specs, Arms + Fury. Let’s delete Fury. You have a few of it’s core abilities reworked and put into the talent section though.

Sounds like a good idea doesn’t it?

They then, with BfA, reworked the current Survival spec again. They stepped away from part of the melee-focus and, copied in BM abilities and effects + some reworked version of the past DoT-spec(Note: It still does not play like the old spec, nor is it meant to, really…).

So, one more upside with introducing that 4th spec option for the class, is that they can actually let Marksmanship focus on what it’s actually meant to be. The ranger/sniper with strong hits and burst damage.
As well as adding in more nuances that cater towards the initial fantasy of the current Survival spec. Melee combat + pet coordination.

When I first saw the new design of the MSV spec with the Alpha/Beta of BfA. My initial thoughts were basically, why are they copying over stuff from other specs?

Since then, I’ve thought of what things I would prefer for the MSV spec to have(no, not reverting it to ranged). Like below:

Any abilities or talents not mentioned below, they can stay as they are IMO.

-Core Abilities-

• Remove Kill Command.

• Rework Raptor Strike to be the new focus builder(it can work the same as Kill Command did for the spec, just melee-based, and it shouldn’t have a cooldown).

• Drag out Mongoose Bite to become the main Spender instead of Raptor Strike.

• Rework Serpent Sting into a mid-range CD.
    Instead of you, firing a poison tipped arrow at your target, now, when you activate this ability, you coat your melee weapon(s) in snake venom for a short period.
    Let’s say the ability has a 30 sec CD. The duration could be something like 15-20 seconds.
    The venom itself, could work much like the old Exotic Ammunitions-venom we had in WoD. Where your auto shots(here, it would instead be melee auto attacks), they would inflict that venom on the target.
    The damaging effect would stack with every attack.

• Wildfire Bomb can pretty much stay as it is. Although perhaps changing it into an actual bomb with a splash effect rather than being designed with a cone in mind would be better.
    No matter the design here, throwing a bomb in front of yourself does not make sense but at least the splash design allows for less annoyance.

-Talents-

• Remove the talent, Alpha Predator(no longer needed).

• Put the last tier talent, Birds of Prey in the place of Alpha Predator.

• Talent: Viper’s Venom, could be reworked so that if it’s chosen, it causes your new Snake Venom ability, it causes the venom to spread more quickly(stack up higher with every attack).
    As well as adding a chance for you to extend it’s duration on the target(s) beyond the default time(up to a set max).
    Essentially, this could allow you to keep that DoT up permanently.

• Hydra’s Bite. This would now just allow you to hit 3 targets at once with your Snake Venom buff that you use on your weapon(s).

• Bloodseeker, could work the same, just that it would involve Raptor Strike instead of Kill Command.

• Tip of the Spear, can be renamed Sharpened Edges.
    Now, when picked, as you would have Mongoose Bite baseline. This talent could be reworked to allow you to stack Mongoose Fury up faster and/or allow you to extend the duration of the buff.

• We have a free spot for a talent option in the place of Mongoose Bite.
    This could be fun
    New talent called Mean Duo(I love that name!).
    What it would do, is this:
    Each time you hit an enemy target with an ability, there’s a high chance that this will cause your pet’s next Basic Attack(Bite, Claw, Smack) to be a guaranteed critical strike.
    Each time your pet hits with a Basic Attack, there’s a high chance that you gain this effect as well.
    I like the synergy!

• Wildfire Infusion might have to change a bit in it’s design to better fit the new core makeup of the spec. But still, mostly, I think it’s the Pheromone Bomb infusion that needs to change. Perhaps into something that benefits your Mongoose Bite?

And last but not least!

• In the place of the talent Birds of Prey(that was moved to the first row). I would like to put in a new talent. Some of you might remember the talent: Way of the Mok’Nathal. Explanation follows.
    (And no, I don’t intend to bring that specific talent design back).
    What I want, is this:
    A LOT of players think of the current MSV spec as a visualization of us playing as Rexxar.
    The famed Hunter from Draenor that fights with 2 1-handed axes.
    So…what if a talent that you call Way of the Mok’Nathal, would do just that? Allow you to equip 2 1-handed weapons.
    All your melee attacks(and abilities) would now be executed with those 2 weapons instead of a 2-hander.

As for tuning…Now, you would have to tune the 1h-concept to be on par with the 2 other talents on the same talent row, instead of trying to tune it as a baseline option for players choosing between using a 2-hander or 2 1-handers.
I know it’s not as simple as this, but still, more simple than the alternative.

Considering the amount of players that would want to play with 1-handed weapons. I’d say this would be worth it.

Honestly, I wasn’t a big fan of the talent design we got with MoP/WoD.

Sure, some like that only the core of each spec was different to one another while keeping nuances, extra stuff fairly centered towards the class as a whole(with just a few exceptions)

To me, as far as the new talent system design goes, I would prefer them the way they are now, more focused on each spec’s identity.

Vanilla + TBC, then the talent system wasn’t really meant to place you as much into specific playstyles as today.
Back then, talents, no matter what tree you found them in, were meant to enhance a small part of your baseline toolkit. Whether it was Pet sustainability/damage output, or your skill with a ranged weapon, or just your overall survivability.

The core of the ranged Survival concept that became more defined with Cataclysm, was the version of this spec that I liked the most. Much because of the talents that went along with really enhancing the fantasy of the core mechanics(Explosive Shot, Black Arrow, Serpent Sting, this playstyle).

Sure, many of the talents weren’t very impactful, but compared to the talents we got with MoP, that to me, felt incredibly bland, I liked it better before.

And also, I think the fact that we had the talent system design that we did in WoD, that let only the very core of each specialization remain unique, is part of the reason why the devs thought of RSV as being to similar to that of Marksmanship.

I rather have the old Range Survival Hunter back from like Wolk … And have another class that wear mail to take up the spot that survival has atm …I MISS MY BLACK ARROW!!

4 Likes

But MSV is so awesome right now! Maybe next expansion they will make BM melee also, wouldn’t that be cool!

That would be cool, now I’m off to go kill some Unholy DKs!

Hunter + Necromancer = Unholy DK

2 Likes

BM’s closer to UH than SV is really.

1 Like

I find UH and SV to have a very similar playstyle. BM has a little more ranged than UH imo…but I don’t play BM much so /shrug

SV and UH being melee is a Pet Spec is really about all they have in common. I’m a bit too busy right now to go into it. Plus I need to get some sleep when I’m done.

UH uses a pet and has a mix of melee and range abilities.
MSV uses a pet and has a mix of melee and range abilities.

UH ≠ MSV :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Put more thought into it. Think Mechanics. Think about the tie-in with the pet. It was even closer before Legion as they had similar requirements for burst. It’s more than just shallow range requirements.

Yeah, one of the few regrets that I have is that I did not start with the old SV playstyle as early as WotLK. I got into it with the pre-patch to Cata. MM was doing so well during ICC so I did not even bother to look at other specs back then. :frowning:

Depends on how you look at it. In terms of spec themes and fantasy, I would say that they are very different.
If you look at certain mechanical aspects then sure, there are some similarities.
Although, you can find a fair number of differences as well in terms of mechanics.

1 Like

Mechanically SV plays more like it imo.
UH disease- serpent sting
deathcoils - wildfire
Clawing Shadows - kill command

Definitely plays like it in BGs…

I can see your point Naham with UH and BM having similar pets, Bestial Rage and the UH pet buff.

Barbed Shot

I think you mean RS/MB but Cobra Shot is closer.

I don’t see that. I see it closer to MB or Chimera.

It was even closer before. Lining up rune was similar nearly identicle to stacking frenzy. ATM it still is very pet/minion centric, but even UH’s mastery is more inline with BM than SV’s. I can see both sides of the argument, but I came to a different conclusion after mulling it over a bit.

You just made me realize that I need to make sure that I am saying Mechanics when talking Mechanics and saying Fantasy when talking fantasy.

I should add this, the difference between Wrath’s SV and Cata’s SV was minimal. Wrath-WoD wasn’t that different in gameplay really.

o.O
Not sure if you’re just messing with me or not. Anyway…
If this somehow helped you, awesome!

I would say that(with Cata), one of the bigger changes was that we got Focus as a resource rather than mana. Something that I actually liked. I strongly believe that mana as a resource is only something that casters/healers should have access to.

Sure, some might not like the limitations that come with Focus as a resource over mana. But it also provides certain positive aspects. Also, it fits very well with the class if you ask me.

SV specifically got
Cobra Shot - again, fantasy-wise, I very much liked this. It spoke to the SV style of using animal venom with your arrows/bullets.
It also increased the duration of Serpent Sting on the target by 3 sec.
This last effect I have also chosen to bring in as a talent option(part of a talent), in my proposed spec design(link), found below. Originally, I did not include this effect, but due to feedback given by others, I have since, decided to bring it in.

With Cata, SV got Explosive Shot as a baseline perk/ability instead of it remaining as a talent. Like you said, not the biggest change, purely done to give a direction on what the spec was supposed to be about.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was with Cata that we saw Mastery bonuses being introduced. Been so many years now…honestly don’t remember.
I would say that this was a good addition to classes/specs. But…having said that, the Mastery effect specific to SV, was not the most…engaging one if you ask me.

Mastery: Essence of the Viper - Increases all elemental damage you deal by 8%. Each point in Mastery increases elemental damage by 1.0%.

Sure, Mastery bonuses doesn’t have to equal entirely new playstyles for your spec depending on how much you focus on gaining Mastery. But a passive %-based damage boost to spells, we can do better IMO.
Which is why I decided to include a proposition for a new Mastery effect with my spec design suggestion below.

As for talents, they trimmed the talent trees a bit. But IMO, the more important talents were still there with Cata.

Here’s the link to my suggestion for the ranged SV spec:

Frequent visitors of this thread have probably seen it before(although some changes have been made since my first post, due to feedback).

Anyone who played the old SV spec will notice a lot of similarities in my proposed design. Despite it being updated to fit with todays design philosophies.

-The Core Abilities are based mostly on what we had prior to Legion. But again, with some twists to them.

-The Major CD, Rapid Fire is very different from the old version. I wanted it to be something that really spoke to the theme of the spec. Whilst allowing for positive mechanical effects that aren’t just base damage increases, but still, will result in a higher output.

-As for Mastery bonus effects, I’ve provided two different ones. The first one, I like the most, it has the potential to affect your gameplay. Not on a groundbreaking level, but still…
It also has a passive execute-effect added to it. Which for certain areas of the game has a lot of potential. Especially as you gain more mastery.

The second Mastery effect is essentially the old one I posted earlier. More passive damage…
Just gave it a new name, that IMO, fits the fantasy of the spec.

-Passive Effects!
Lock & Load ofc. It, if you ask me, was so synonymous with the spec that I had to make it a baseline effect. Sure, it’s not as impactful as it was prior to Legion. But the baseline changes to Explosive Shot, IMO makes up for it, and allows for more player oriented choices overall.

The improvements to traps, again, is very closely tied to what Survival was back then. The specific effects I included, are based on the theme/fantasy. Also with the hope of bringing something new to the spec(and class).

I believe that Steady Focus isn’t only synonymous with MM. I would say that, despite the fact that Cobra Shot nowadays is an instant cast instead of having a cast time, if you spend more time on focus generation, it should be rewarding.

Serpent Spread, I loved it, helps a lot with AoE. Strong ties to the past SV spec.

The passive “Exotic Munitions”, I chose to include from WoD(the name at least). I liked the theme, it fits the spec. The actual design is very different from the old one in WoD. It’s just a fun, theme-accurate passive effect that has the potential to help you with DoT-management. Especially on multiple targets.
And, it allowed me to do some fun stuff with the talents later on. :slight_smile:

-As for Talents, there is a lot you can talk about but…
I have said this before. I believe that with the talent design we have today, then talents themselves should focus on enhancing the playstyle and the theme of your current spec.
If you check the talents section you will notice that I haven’t included a lot of choices to add in extra abilities. I’m not a big fan of niched stand-alone abilities that don’t really do anything with the core of the spec.
Also, with my design, this spec would have more baseline offensive damaging abilities than any of the other hunter specs currently has. So, the need to add in more through talents, isn’t as high.

Anything that involves your pet, I decided to put in as talent options and not have them there baseline. I believe BM should be the spec for that.
At the same time, I believe that only MM should be the ranger spec. Why?
The core fantasy of the CLASS, is “Ranged combat with a weapon, while aided by a loyal companion”. I believe that this should still be the case.

The passive effect focusing on your Freezing Trap(Enhanced Traps passive), along with the last tier talent Resourcefulness, I like especially.
It’s a good way to give the hunter class some extra utility that very much fits the fantasy.
Note that it’s not an immunity, but a directional effect. And with good gameplay from opposing players(as an example), it can be dealt with fairly easily.

Sorry, long post again :confused: . Gotta work on keeping them shorter!