Water Strider Water Walking Passive - Removed

You can already gather herbs in other mounts beside the Sky Golem.

I’m glad for the change. Being locked behind one or two mounts because of their functionality makes all of those other really cool mounts you’ve collected useless. Also in another thread blue posted that after a character hits 100 it unlocks for all characters 20+

Anyone who disagrees with this change, is wrong.

mmm ok I wasn’t mad before but now I am. The water strider should not lose its ability to walk on water - that was the whole point of the blasted thing. People did the rep for it for that reason.

I was thinking “oh this might be good. I can use the anti-daze one and then just hop on water strider for large bodies of water as needed.”

I’m not one of those people that stay on the strider all the time right now. No one has to use the strider on land. Some people just choose to do so - probably out of sheer laziness.

6 Likes

It’s losing the ability to walk on water and they’re giving it back for free. There are plenty of actual problems in the game. This is not one of them.

Not only will the water walking mount be able to walk on water, the other mounts will as well. The horror. Only the WoW forums could make this into a problem.

1 Like

It really should just behave like the shredder. Let it continue to walk on water but be unaffected by equipment. What exactly is the problem with that approach? That way you, presumably, get the best of both worlds. Strider is then better in water walking situations but worse in land situations, and people who just outright hate or otherwise don’t care to work for the strider can use the water walking equipment instead.

2 Likes

It is not free. They are giving you one “free” pair of shoes and you can go to pandaland to buy others. These are consumable and they are estimating the cost per to be around 1k gold. Because some are made via professions, some (like the barding) will probably cost a lot more at the beginning.

The only thing that is not clear is if when you put one on your mounts, will it affect all mounts on all characters, or will you need to buy one of these for each character whenever you want to change the equipment. Either way, either people are going to be spending a bunch of gold, or they will chose one piece of equipment and never change it (which in the long run will probably happen).

2 Likes

news to me… which mounts allow it?

If you don’t want to spend gold on them, equip the water strider with the free one and nothing will be any different than it is today. It is literally free and you said it yourself. This is one of those things that doesn’t have to impact your gameplay at all.

2 Likes

But they just don’t have the time to drag the icon into the mount socket. It’s too much work, they should just undo this whole thing because “muh rep”

Which is exactly how it -should- have been implemented. If you didn’t get the water strider, you’re stuck with anti-daze or water-walking, but not both.

if you DID do the hellacious grind for not just one but BOTH water striders (as I did), then leave it the heck alone, and let us put something else on the other mounts, and let the water strider stay the way it is.

Most people will end up paying for the water boots anyway just to use their favorite mount while water walking. No need to nerf the strider.

6 Likes

We don’t have time to get into that.

2 Likes

Think about what it is you’re suggesting, though. As it stands, a major hurdle in traveling BFA’s landscape was made trivial thanks to a rep grind tied all the way back to MoP. People are already complaining about allied races being tied to Legion reps, and it’s fair assertion that nobody wants to have to be forced to do content from expansions that are, what, 7 years old now?

Water strider dominance was a problem that was impacting zone layout. If you did the rep grind, great; you have a unique looking mount and a unique trait for seven years, and now you can put that trait on any other mount you want for free. Keeping things as is just to preserve a certain subset of players’ elitism seems to me to be more harmful than anything else. It’s not like water striders were ever meant to be MoP’s version of the Legion mage tower.

1 Like

Unless you’re running from Boralus to Drustvar on a mount rather than taking a FP or ferry, there really isn’t that much water to be crossed outside of Nazmir. Certainly not enough to count as a major hurdle to travel.

1 Like

To quote Pocketmage incase you missed it:

2 Likes

Doesn’t change anything I’ve said nor does it mean gold/usage values are final. Worst case scenario, it’s a green item, so it’s negligible to replace.

At max level once you’ve unlocked all the flight paths, sure. Also only if you’re trying to get from point A on one coast to point B on the opposite. If you’re in the middle of questing, however, there are an abundance of puddles too deep to stand in that are obnoxiously placed in your way. They’re aesthetic, sure, but as someone who runs around the entirety of both continents for herbs and minerals I absolutely dread when I have to cross a body of water.

Also, any and all incursions in Nazmir make me want to just… not do them.

Oh, next you’ll have new and improved allied water walking! Only after another tedious time-gated months-long world quest humping trickle grind will you get what you’ve already ground for years ago.

You know, we need to earn the trust of the water to walk on it. I’m sure we’ll all feel so much better that we’ve earned it, yet again, while we’re water walking on our water striders.

2 Likes

are they removing barding and stirrups from crafting? that would suck.

1 Like

I mine and herb extensively, and I never use the water strider mount because I’m using stirrups and water walking breaks on damage, making the strider worthless after the first hostile encounter unless I dismount and resummon. Easier to just use my falcosaur (which has a more narrow profile and is less likely to interfere with me clicking on herb nodes) and go around/jump over puddles. Nazmir doesn’t have any zone-specific nodes, so I simply don’t farm there.

Shockingly I do NOT see that many players on water striders. The only time I see them is when doing a WQ next to a coast or lake. EX) in tiragarde killing the crab or murloc then everyone mounts up and runs across the lake to the azerite WQ.

I have had zero problems using all my new mounts like the meat wagon and hyenas. The only time I use my strider is when I know I am about to need to cross water.

Stop punishing me because other players lack self control or the ability to make choices. Why does blizzard care what mount we ride?

Leave the water strider passive alone. Make it not benefit from the gear system. People who earned the strider can use it or “transmog” a different water walk mount. People who don’t have the strider can gain a water walker. As it stands I’m going to have to use the water walk gear on all my toons. Wow, such choice great system.

Or

Remove herbing from the shredders and remove water walking potions, shaman spell, and DK spell. Let’s really level this thing out all the way.

6 Likes

Problem solved right here. It’s not rocket science.

2 Likes