Water Strider Discussion

Goblin gliders, cheap and easy via the WoD Garrison which provides all the mats and delivers gliders in stacks.

Engineering cape augments.

Just because you haven’t been using the tools already available in game doesn’t necessitate creating an entirely new system.

1 Like

You can say whatever you like. You have a choice, no one is forcing you to say anything at all.

But they force me to ride a bug though… Even though they dont.

2 Likes

Except I’m not going to continue to buy giant stacks of gliders on my many alts in order to slow fall, so. I’m happy about that piece of equipment. You might not like the system, that’s fine. Me? I do. Also… they have a 2 min CD.

(once again not saying I agree with strider nerf.)

There you go- you got my joke! Good job! And, we both agree that they don’t! Cause 8.2 brings us into agreement!

They never forced me to use the Water Strider and I never did the rep grind to purchase one. I also detour around water hazards or jump swim across them because I’m usually not in that big of a hurry. I also rarely have a problem with daze as I know how to steer around mobs!

If you are jumping off the current mountains in WoD, Legion, and BFA you’re taking 2 minutes or more to get back to the top!

I also typically just keep 1 stack and the rest in the bank to pick up as needed.

Don’t get me wrong I like the idea of this new stuff.

I think it has poor implementation.
I think it kills aspects of immersion. I think it’s uncreative.

4 Likes

Why not just add a few more mounts with water walking with different skins? There’s hundreds out there, just ad a few more. Cap the water walking ones to 60% if you want people to ride the regular ones. This change feels really convoluted just to nerf the striders.

6 Likes

Daily, in each expansion once I had it, until flying became unlocked. Fastest time between two points is a straight line, and with this mount, I don’t have to worry about water getting in my way.

So, if the Strider has to give up water walking, maybe give it a different special ability, like being able to fish from it while mounted. That would fit the vibe of the grind to get the mount in the first place, and would still make it something special. Just my $0.02.

4 Likes

I am on a shaman that can make water walking potions and has a water walking spell. I still used the bug.
/shrug

Cool, well we’ve established that you don’t like the new system. I do. That’s fine.

We’ve also established that the strider nerf isn’t necessary, and like the portals, are removing something unneeded while adding something in.

All in all? People can continue to talk about it. Maybe they’ll consider changing it, or taking advice in this thread. Do I think they will? No. Which, as I said before…

is unfortunate.

2 Likes

After a week of feedback, it seems like if Blizzard had really wanted to address the complaints of players who felt forced to use the waterbug, they could just have made elixirs of waterwalking that have been in the game since Wrath more reliable and longer lasting. It would have solved the problem without requiring a new system and UI and breaking mount abilities.

Don’t want to be dazed? Use barding.
Don’t want to fall to your death? Carry parachutes.
Don’t want to be stuck using the bug? Use waterwalking potions.

3 Likes

You don’t have to look far above to see that’s not good enough and to get a na na na nana. Lol

1 Like

THIS. In spades. I could not agree with you any more. Thanks for putting it into words better than I could. Your whole post was 100% truth., although I didn’t like pathfinder, and still don’t.

2 Likes

I’m shifting from “skeptical” to “opposed” on the entire mount equipment mechanic. It’s a whole design space that is simply dead on arrival if I don’t want to give up my water strider.

2 Likes

I mean, the truth is: they could fix this easily with one of two options, both of which would still allow other ways of water walking while also not being nearly as upsetting:

Solution 1: Water Striders keep their innate ability to walk on water, but they don’t benefit from other equipment. This allows those who are tired of using the strider the option of using other mounts.

I know the immediate argument: “but then they are able to have the other mounts be anti-daze or slowfall and still get water walking!” This is true, and it should not be a problem. This is how the game works right now with bardings. This is how the game will continue to work with the herbalism mounts. The other argument is “then people will still be forced to use the strider.” I believe that is a false premise, because if it is, then all they are doing is taking away our choice in equipment. If we truly are forced to used water striders, then we will be just as forced to use the water shoes equipment.

Solution 2) Make equipment applied to the mount itself (either per character or account wide), send one free water walking shoe out to all toons on an account with the water strider, two if they have both of them or to the person who got the mount if the equipment is account wide. Now, you put that equipment on your strider, or boat, or Invincible, whatever you want. That is now your water walking mount. Now I have a reason to buy more (make them more expensive), and I have a reason to get other equipment pieces. My paladin could have water walking on his boat and no daze on his mammoth and slow fall on his charger, whatever. This one, to me, is the best option and has the added benefit of all that extra farming people seem to think Blizzard wants to “force” us to do.

4 Likes

See, both of those are viable solutions in my opinion. Now if only they’d actually look into it. Solution 2 would be my favorite, as we can use many different mounts for many different things. But yeah, all valid points there that I do agree with, including on 1.

I mean… yeah. This is a really good point, actually. I honestly don’t know if there’s any real counter argument to it.

1 Like

Ion is a lawyer

5 Likes

Same thing.