Was Xe'ra good or evil?

Xe’ra being fictional was never in doubt, now you stoop to petty name-calling instead of counterarguments.

Illidan being powerful enough to kill her in one hit is questionable (and undermines her threat level if they want to villain-bat her in future), his objections to her had holes and him getting away with killing her is a plot hole.

And now you see why I think it doesn’t make sense for a 10,000 year old elf to kill a tens of thousands year old - same age as the Titans - cosmic being like Prime Naaru (inferring Prime Naaru are above regular Naaru) in one shot.

Illidan wasn’t powerful enough to defeat Kil’jaeden, who wasn’t a cosmic being. There’s heavy-hitters, and then there’s plot armor (like Batman defeating villians like Clayface or not getting immediately crushed fighting Superman).

While I may not like Illidan, that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate Liam did a good job with the voice-acting. And good presentation doesn’t erase bad writing any more than painting a turd gold makes it jewelry.

The skull of MU Gul’dan was turned into an artifact of power by demons. Illidan just killed NU Gul’dan and smashed the skull. Nothing canon suggests he consumed it, or that being recently reformed effected Xe’ra’s power level.

They aren’t demons. And I was talking about the rest of the Army of the Light. All the Lightforged Draenei surrounding Turalyon and Illidan after that cinematic. You think it makes sense, especially for ones like Fareeya or the aggressive priest Enaara, to tool around with the guy who killed their commanding officer and pseudo-guardian angel without issues? Do you know anyone in the military? You think they’d immediately follow someone who killed a CO beloved by them?

What would break your suspension of disbelief with Illidan? Using fan theories and headcanon to do the writers’ job for them doesn’t erase plot holes.

You can watch for yourself. Blizzard made a cinematic to show it, in case you did not know. There is nothing questionable about it.

The fact that you don’t like it, or that you don’t think it should have happened that way, is irrelevant to the actual lore. You are flying off your own head canon when you state it is “questionable” - as a cinematic clearly shows you the fact.

Not at all.

One of her acolytes could find a cosmic super glue and put her back together even more powerful.

Or she could find some artifact that boosts her power.

Or if it is an AU Xera, maybe she has her full power - need I remind you that we just recently put Xera back together when Illidan shattered her. It could be explained as she needed more time to heal herself.

Your imagination is limited. Your ability to grasps simple concepts displayed in cinematics is lacking. That does not mean there are plot holes.

He makes himself clear. He does not want it. He does not want to trade freedom for power, and he doesn’t trust her words. There are no plot holes.

More nonsense. You just call events in a story “plot holes” when you wish they went a different way.

Turalyon did assault him in retaliation - but he was held back by Illidan, and dissuaded from continuing by the facts.

2 Likes

You disliking my arguments doesn’t make them nonsense, and liking canon doesn’t erase plot holes.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: You know my criticism here was about him being able to do it.

You’re using headcanon and fan theories to try and hide plot holes.

Nothing in canon or outside headcanon indicated he was trading freedom for power.

I also critiqued the rest of the Army of the Light doing nothing, including more aggressive members like Enaara.

No, you are saying it undermines her threat level in the future - you are bringing up a nonexistent future as a hypothetical, and I am explaining that the future is not written. There are avenues for it to go.

The lore is not locked to your head canon.

That was his stated perspective, from his own words. If you don’t like it, well, you didn’t write the story. That does not make it a plot hole.

That doesn’t change or justify what you’re doing.

If they don’t bring her back, the plot holes still stand.

If they do bring her back, it makes it hard for some fans to take her seriously as an ally or threat after being killed so easily (and the plot holes still stand until addressed). This would affect any plans the writers may have to bring her back. The only avenues they can go involve ignoring the plot hole and any complaints about it, or addressing the plot hole by adding canon mitigating circumstances which undermine Xe’ra being a jobber (and would also take away some “cool points” from Illidan with fans).

That doesn’t mean his perspective was right, and people choosing to swallow that is on them.

What I am doing is proving you wrong. When you say :

That is purely a speculation based on your head canon, alone. You make blanket statements based on nothing but your head canon.

You acknowledge you can not say if she even will make a return. You acknowledge you can not say how it will go. So your claims are just hypotheticals, supposition, and speculation. Your position has no justification.

You just call story beats you dislike a “plot hole.” Throwing out the phrase “plot hole” does not make it so.

The plot is clearly laid there. You lack the ability to understand it, because you can not fathom reality - or even a fictional story written by someone else - being different than your fantasy. That does not make the story beat a plot hole.

2 Likes

The plot holes still remain whether or not she comes back. And at worst, that’d mean you’re combating my “headcanon” with your headcanon, so I’m not proved wrong, and you’re not exonerated.

My reasons stand. You just deny them because you like the plot holes or the events that created the plot holes.

They do not exist - there are just plot events that you dislike, so you throw out the label “plot holes” without a basis in the canon.

That does not make them plot holes.

This is a good example at how you fail to grasp the lore :

Whether his perspective is right, and whether he knew it, is irrelevant. What is relevant is how he stated he felt, and that he defended his position.

You act like characters have to make choices how you want them, or it is a plot hole.

It is not a plot hole for a character to have an opinion based on his experiences, even if you think he should have a different opinion.

I believe at times people need to step back and realize characters do not have the omniscient perspective players have. So… they can be flawed in what they think. In fact, they should be flawed, unless they are a literal omniscient god.

9 Likes

Hmmm seeing thadeus saying that it is "unfair " that illidan is more powerful than Xe’ra is somewhat comical cuz hiw many naaru have we beaten or we know from lore that have died in some normal manners?

In TBC we deal with muru in his windchimi form and void god evolution.
We know that the naaru helping the draenei almost every one got killed or imprisoned.

The one in revendreth even was bound to the shadowlands and there is the one in the maldraxxus arena.

Illidan kill Xe’ra and moments later alleria eats another(Yummy).

Why would illidan not be powerful enough to kill Xe’ra? Almost every time a naaru is in combat they lose or die. I mean i want to know where are you getting the information or impression that the windchims are that all powerfull. Cuz I never saw them as that but rather as “spiritual leaders that are here to guide us and not fight for us kind of characters”

2 Likes

Did you pay the slightest attention to what Illidan did during Legion? He LED us. He wasn’t kind, he didn’t rescue cats out of trees, not walk a single old lady across the street, He strategised, led, and in the end, stayed behind to do perpetual one on one with the Big Bad.

Does this excuse his prior action? Does it redeem them? Illidan makes no apologies and seeks no redemption… only reaproachement with the only two people he cared about in his entire life… and they turned him down in the end. Tyrande would not even read his letter.

I don’t enjoy his story because I think he’s a 'good" person or that he “redeemed” himself. I enjoyed it for the journey. every bit of it from his actions in the WOTA, his fight with Arthas… his booming insanity on Outland… it was FUN.

X’era… not so much. Your stance is amazing considering that she’s the ONLY in world character that seems to worship the ground he walked on… outside of his Demon Hunter cult of personality, IF she was around… she’d be adding her crystal voice to the choir of dissent.

2 Likes

Spot on, though the plot holes still remain. Such as why would Velen praising Xe’ra to the Army of the Light after Illidan killed her then excepting her followers/soldiers to not act against Illidan for killing her if she’s so good.

I think they are not powerful enough for their role in the story and have been overused as jobbers. Xe’ra was just the most egregious example. It also doesn’t make sense to push the idea of them being a cosmic threat while they get beaten so easily; I even made a thread on that subject;

Illidan did barely any strategizing. His big plan was “throw everything he can grab at the highest-ranking demons and hope for the best.” Illidan only led his Illidari and was one of the allied commanders alongside Turalyon, Alleria, Lothraxion, Khadgar and Velen. Xe’ra’s prophecy was that Illidan would be a CHAMPION of the Light, not a general of the Light.

The only strategizing he did was attacking Nathrezar, getting that portal key and sending us after demons and portals. Others were giving orders and strategizing too. The Army of the Light had plenty of strategy. Illidan’s contributions on Argus against the Legion can be summed up as;

• Kill some demons.
  • Order some Illidari to join the fight.
  • Stay with the Titan Pantheon and Sargeras.

(Before anyone uses this as fodder for “so much for that Champion of the Light prophecy” arguments, remember, these are his “contributions” after rejecting being the Champion of the Light).

Tyrande did read his letter. She just questioned whether he meant it.