Was just listening to the Q4 conference call

Right. Everything I read, even tweets from Blizzard employees just one day ago, indicated they were scared layoffs were coming soon, but didn’t know when or who would get hit.

Which phone do you guys recommend for Classic?

Is it possible wow in a phone?

Not without a seperate keyboard at a minimum, and then you’d be keyboard turning, as its likely to be more responsive than waiting on the phone’s gyro.

They’d have to radically redesign the game to work on a phone without need for 3rd party peripherals.

Now for Retail, they could do some additional things with a phone client.

But for Classic all it would be useful for is chat, maybe in-game mail, and the auction house.

If you are referring to World of Warcraft the next expansion there never was going to be a major expansion in 2019.

World of Warcraft usually runs on a 2-year cycle meaning WoW 9.0 would be out in 2020.

Discussing any WoW 9.0 expansion at Blizzcon 2019 and subsequent Beta is not the same as a retail release. It is just an announcement .

A major frontline release will come in 2020 I’m sure.

BfA was released in July’ish 2019 two years after Legion.

No. They have specified when asked about “games” and clarified that its a server option. They have told you to “think of it as two separate games” to help people understand why things like transmog won’t transfer to your BFA account:

Pay specific attention to the context they are using these statements in… Or you could just look at the link I posted again where they very specifically stated that classic is a server option… No stuttering, no nothing. It was plainly stated. It merely uses a different client. Im not sure what else you guys expected? Im trying to imagine what you thought was going to happen here…

I should point out that the debate was somebody claiming that Classic would be a server option within the BfA client.

Which that is not something Blizzard has ever said. To the best of our knowledge, Classic will run on a modified 7.3.5 client like the Blizzcon demo did.

ohhhhhhhhh… okay now I understand. Okay yeah that’s not the case at all.

It’s funny how much they are underestimating classic. It’s going to absolutely blow BFA out of the water and they don’t even realize it.

2 Likes

If Classic does indeed bring back all the old players and it puts a massive strain on their support services, I hope corporate regrets firing their employees.

I was part of that discussion topic/thread. That specific quote was in relation to getting the Vanilla CE pets in WoW Classic. It doesn’t have much relevance in regards to much else beyond other items which were obtained during Vanilla’s run which came from outside the game itself and cannot (reasonably) be obtained anywhere inside or outside of the game at this point.

Wrong, it’ll be running a modified version of the current client. Because the current client will contain security patches/fixes/updates that 7.3.5 does not, and they’re not going to leave Classic open to exploits that are closed on the newer client.

The Client (engine) versions will be largely synchronized going forward, although that will provide chances for additional confusion for many over time as not every retail “client update” was actually an update to the engine, but rather an update to the data being used by the engine.

1 Like

I feel you’re being purposely obtuse here.

I don’t see how it is practical or even possible for them to create Classic using 7.3.5 and 1.12.1, resulting in an entirely new client 1.13.xxxxx (where these old exploits etc are in fact closed)-- and then, do all the work to move it to whatever current version patch BfA is on. How is that possible?

I think you guys are confused about the way Classic will work as a drop-down option in the WoW section of the battlenet launcher. The different clients there can be anything that the devs want to put up there.

This is the concerning part because Activision’s stated focus in the announcement that they will be shifting to boosting profits and focusing on efforts that are in alignment with their long term strategy.

I think Classic is a passion project for Blizzard, not Activision, and I think it’s pretty clear now that Blizzard is not the autonomous partner in “Acivision-Blizzard” that it once was.

1 Like

The only thing I see Classic WoW as at this point is to make the legal stick bigger to beat up private servers with. They’re doing it to say Classic WoW which is rightfully a much different game from current WoW isn’t abandon ware.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/dUSRkBwQdc8?t=269 You mean like this?

“Development of a classic server option”

https://youtu.be/dUSRkBwQdc8?t=269 You mean like this?

“Development of a classic server option”

No, they did not say its because it was no easy to implement, they said because they dont want to, as they dont want people playing it for live rewards.

WoW classic is free to anyone currently subbed, so bassicly they dont see it as a HUGE outcome, as really its hard to tell just how well it will actually do.

Alot of people wont play it cause “blizz sux”
alot of people wont play cause “my server free, blizz 15$”
alot of people wont play cause “My friends and gear here”
and alot will say “Its not real vanila” while playing on their servers that claim “blizz-like” but have upwartds of 40% bonus exp.