Warriors - why not magic?

Your average grunt cannot perform a gigantic leap.

They cannot use a bestial roar to weaken or inflict damage upon their enemy. They also cannot use this vocal energy to empower themselves and allies.

Your average grunt tires in battle, your warrior grows stronger as it delivers and receives blows.

A warrior summons and expels energy to cause the very earth and air around it to crackle and spark with fury.

An attuned warrior can smash into his opponent from unthinkable range at break neck speed. It can whirl like a tornado with blade and steel At incredible g forces whilst in complete control.

It can summon a force to repel enemy spells or absorb powerful fatal physical blows.

Warriors may not use magic in the sense of a wizard but they certainly use and master a particular ‘force’ that gives them super human/mortal abilities.

They are not your average foot soldier.

1 Like

I find it very immersive. I just like playing a gritty old raider. And since it’s all taking place in a fantasy world, I can add elements of magic, whenever. Mostly from other players, " Excuse me, shaman. May I ask you to bless my blade, so it can move like the wind? "

If I need to empower myself, I can. But being powerless shouldn’t be holding you back in RP, unless you’re playing with a control freak.

Not everyone can do magic, not all people can be shamans or mages for example. The Light will heed anyones call if they have sufficient faith, but not all people have sufficient faith. I think anyone can be a warlock, but not everyone is willing to pay the terrible price for that power.

1 Like

Not everyone has a talent for magic or a connection to the planet… some people have seen horrible things done with magic and as a result can not see it as anything other than a great and untrustworthy thing coveted by the power hungry and most often used for evil.

I mean… look at it this way… can you REALLY see Arnie as a mage? Or even a paladin, for that matter? (and yes, I admit that it would be pretty cool to roleplay someone who LOOKED like he should be a sword swinging meathead, but was actually an incredibly powerful and skilled mage who specialized in precise and almost artistic use of his spells… or even as a meathead who desperately WANTS to be a mage, but can never quite get his spells right… oh the possibilities… dang it…)

To build on what you said, and put it in real world terms… (channeling all three of my warrior toons here)

You could sort of think of the pure arms warrior as a Marine, or an Army Infantryman. First in, last out, leave no one behind, beat it until it doesn’t get up anymore… and there is NOTHING like smashing some damned arrogant magic user RIGHT in the kisser.

We may use swords and shields and armor created by those who can manipulate magic… but that is only to make us more effective. I can protect my healer from the baddies so they are able to heal me, or escape and then bring me back from death when the overwhelming danger has passed. I can push my way through the vollies of magic being lobbed around me and kidney punch the bastard, causing him to not be able to finish his spell. I might get singed… I might die trying… but I will never STOP trying.

We all have things we are good at. This is mine. What is yours?

1 Like

Long story short… this is a post I did back during the summer… I think it would fit perfectly here:

1 Like

Dueling a spellcaster as a warrior is rough, ngl.

But they tend not to wear armour!

Well…except paladins. Paladins OP af

I don’t really mind being the underdog.

Yeah, magi can just casually wipe a town from existence, warlocks summon demons, paladins are their own thing, shaman ask the elements for power (which may or may not be granted), druids are pretty powerful…

But I’m generally fond of being the guy with no magic that gets only what he earns. Makes every IC conflict with some baddy, or IC quest seem more meaningful because he earned it with blood and sweat and steel. It’s just more compelling to me.

Not to say that magi can’t struggle, mind you.

The people saying that warriors have their own magic…? That’s a neat concept. I liked the rage-mage idea form 3.5 D&D, and definitely could be an explanation. Given that fury warriors just heal themselves… but, you know. That could just be a mechanical thing.

We already break physics. The plate armor is stuff that’d mostly be too heavy to function, and 9 out of 10 weapons are so horribly designed, we wouldn’t be able to swing them at all.

WoW just runs off of the Rule of Cool.

1 Like

I have been thinking about this for a long time, but after seeing the cinematics of the game in general, the in game scenes and reading some books in universe, i think i have formulated a complete tought on power scaling and where warriors fit.

And i think it is pretty simple, no matter how powerful a mage is, he might be able to destroy a whole town with a single spell of frost magic, that mage is still made of meat, and while deffensive spells are a thing, a simple attack can be enough. And that is where the warrior can compete. Casters like mages, have more offensive power for sure, but they are just as killable as anyone. No matter how more powerful a demon hunter is, if you slice his throat, said demon hunter will die no matter what.

There is also different types of metals and enchantments, that are part of your kit. Your shield could be made of a metal that is resistant to fire and frost, you could have a special sword that goes through magic barriers.

The different races also have different physical abilities, Night Elves seem to be very agile and strong, being able to jump from tree to tree easily, Worgens even more, Orcs are naturally super strong, even humans in wow are way beyond what real life humans can do.

TL:DR Mages, shaman, warlocks, druids will have more offensive and destructive power than any warrior at their peak, but are just as killable as any creatures, is just a matter of who lands the fatal blow. But warriors can have proper equipment to deal with the said destructive powers.

And while Death Knights and Demon Hunters are physically superior in every way while also being fighters, i assume a very skilled warrior can still outmatch those, though i imagine saronite armor is very good protection.

I think it’s silly that they wouldn’t even teach some simple stuff to Warriors (i.e. the spell to make a fire and minor healing spells). Nothing major of course, but little things to help them and the mages. My character comes from a race that’s built on magic, but she’s not interested in it. Not that she hates it, it just sparks no interest for her other then enhancing what she can do. She prefers the thrill of the hunt, stalking her prey and putting an arrow into it’s neck while her pets take it down. She was just lucky her parents (who were paladins) could care less about what she did, though her choice of Hunter did upset her mage sister.

I’d like to think that Warriors can tap into “potential power” that stands out from magic such as unusual peak physical conditioning, athleticism, able to charge at multiple foes like a stallion whereas to an average individual might be impossible.

I’d like to classify that as “power” rather than magic for a warrior since they’re not just dumb-armed fighters. In fact, they require excessive knowledge for open martial combat with all types of weaponry, battle tactics, and also tap into that inner power to be able to swing his/her weapons to try & possible break rocks and/or able to leap higher.

Consider Azeroth’s physical fighters to be abnormal, supernatural and just not to underestimate them as compare to us in real like it would put us in wonder and frightening. Like Achilles, Goliath, Kenshin Battosai and such

For this character, she choose to be a warrior because magic fails. It failed Quel’thalas in the third war, and she and those she loved paid dearly because of it. Without preparation, components and space a mage is just a scholar with a staff.

Focus, skill and fury are the only tools she needs and she’ll never be stripped of them. Even disarmed and naked, she’s capable of beating her enemies into submission or even death and the frenzied rush of victory only makes her next fight more deadly. She relies on herself – because she’s the only thing she can always count on.

She recognizes that every conflict is a matter of life and death and approaches every fight as if it may be her last. There is no other way to live – everyone else is just deluding themselves.

2 Likes

Magic and reliance on the arcane, the fel or the holy can backfire on you or be otherwise blocked or cancelled by other magic.

The only real failure that warriors have to contend with is A: Not maintaining their weapons and equipment to always be in top form and B: Not being in top form themselves.

Sure magic has a ton of uses, but at the end of the end of the day that sword or axe is still just as capable of cutting someone else open and/or in half.

I mean look at what happened to Medivh. Most powerful sorcerer Azeroth had ever seen, vast amounts of Arcane and Fel magic at his literal fingertips and possessed by a literal evil god…Still got taken down by a guy with a sword.

Batman and iron man dont use magic

1 Like

Some may not have the affinity to magic, and hence of such choose to be a warrior.

Or perhaps some have extremely limited capacity to magic and can only do one spell (Such as lightning) so pick up a sword - become a master of the blade and as a brilliant tactician use that one limited capacity to belch out a thunderclap upon their enemies.

You don’t need to be magic to be a badass.

1 Like

This did not age well. I blame how good velves look in plate.
Anyway, void magic to enhance physical prowess, maybe premonition idk i’m just pretty and deadly

1 Like

This.

I can’t say I agree with everything you said, but you hit the nail on the head with the important stuff.

Few have the mental and/or spiritual capacities to wield magic. I think many here believe that any person walking around Stormwind can start casting fireballs with enough training, and I believe this is completely incorrect. Very few have that potential.

Now, just about anyone can pick up a sword and swing it around, but to become a legendary Warrior, like Varian, Saurfang, or even our own characters, you have to have the will, the drive, and in most cases the physical attributes to reach that level. They are the underdogs that through sheer will power they honed the skills to the point where they can drive a sword through a giant demon…

I fully support giving warriors a bit of magic. Nightborne lose their main racial on warriors as it is. Nightbourne should say, add 1% of your damage as arcane damage.

So, there is a discussion to be had here about whether they actually utilize magic or not. Things like Thunderclap would suggest they do somehow use some bit of magic. That said, that doesn’t mean it’s canon.

Though, none of that really matters in the greater discussion. Warriors may choose that path for a variety of different reasons. My Draenei Warrior was a Paladin for the longest time. Then, after Argus and losing his youngest sister to being a Death Knight, he walked away from the light and instead chose to just improve that which he could control the most. He didn’t want to lean on a force that had it’s own agenda.

On the flip side, my Mag’har saw it far more as a matter of being bound to honor and seeking it. He thought it was far more honorable to kill his opponents with his own prowess than to rely on the elements to do his work for him. It also was a way to make sure he could hold himself accountable for every choice made, not allowing him to lie to himself about being influenced by an external force.