Warrior tanking question while leveling

Hey all,

So I was wondering, i’m currently leveling as an arms warrior, so I have no points in protection. I was wondering how are you guys tanking dungeon as arms spec? I have a shield and 1h but its pretty hard to hold aggro because I don’t regenerate enough rage

thanks!

That’s a warrior issue and not a spec issue. You are going to experience it no matter what spec you are.

6 Likes

oh I see, its just a mess to try to hold aoe aggro when I need to spend my rage on 1 mob and try to aoe with shout the other mobs

Charge. Sunder. Demo. Retain more rage with TM.

Some warriors go 2h to aggro with deeps. looks great on paper…but healers need heads up. So far, runs are clunkier, waiting on mana and the piles if bandages left behind :stuck_out_tongue:

But otherwise, welcome to pre60 tanking.

I started the arms --> fury meta, then restarted alt to prot after my first RFC run. Missed revenge and other tricks. Still struggle with rage, but I enjoy the masochism and the grind too much as prot. Weird, I know. Leveling both when time allows.

Druid tanking probably more fun right now.

Hang in there!

2 Likes

As a warrior, you don’t really have aoe Aggro. Your rage generation will be slow, and a lot of what you do have will come from being slapped. This means that people need to give you a chance to sunder stuff before going ham. Unfortunately, dps almost never do this, and unless the healer is your buddy, they can usually get away with it without dying until much higher levels. One thing that helps is to pop berserker rage then swap back to defensive stance. You’ll be amazed how much extra rage that gives you. Also, since you’re arms, make sure you have tactical mastery and anger management talents.

2 Likes

Yeah don’t be afraid to make use of berserker rage boys. It helps.

Y. Plus groups get impatient and you end up using rage to peel off mages in many PUGs.

Feels like tanking after the fact sometimes.

I can chain mobs without rush as prot with mit for smooth run, but takes patient, non zoomer group. Ironic, mana stays up and goes steady. Mit helps I don’t care what meta crowd says even though they are technically right

1 Like

Never taunt from mages. They should all be killed as much as humanly possible to make up for what they can do to us in pvp if we’re not fapping constantly

6 Likes

I support this 100%

I dream of this everytime I save them. Im too soft.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It helps to try and retain some rage between pulls instead of dumping all your rage every pull. Never use heroic strike, it is just a terrible ability. When you pull use demoralizing shout and sunders, battle shout also generates a lot of rage when used. Thunder clap should only be used when charging in and you already have more than 40-50 rage generated, otherwise stick with demo shout, sunder, and taunt.

1 Like

Swifty has a new one button macro for tanking with Arms go check out his channel.

A lot of good advice in these other replies. The thing is, while some purist would get pissed about it there’s no harm in using a 2H to tank for any 5-man pre level 50 dungeons.

You’ll gain rage a lot faster and it can bridge the gap until you’ve got a better toolkit to manage mobs.

With a 2hander… charge…bloodrage…sweeping strikes… berzerker rage…whirlwind. Should give you enough AOE aggro to start the encounter. Little tougher if bloodrage is on CD. For bosses, just put on a shield and proc a shield block before you go in. Hit sunder and then revenge as soon as it pops from the shield block.

You have this spell called communicate. Allows you to do cool tricks like convince your party to let you get rage and threat. Has a 30% chance of failing and can only be cast once per run.

3 Likes

Use a 2hander and have a macro for your shield+1h if youre taking too much damage.

So as arms it’s fine until Blackrock. Charge>Def Stance>Bloodrage>Demo>Dynamite>Tab Sunder. I can’t emphasize enough how great engineering is for an aspiring warrior tank. When you hit 55 or so spec protection and profit. You should grind dungeons to 60 as protection then respec full arms or fury for PvP or DPS if you prefer.

I’ve been getting substantially more resists than that.

3 Likes

[#showtooltip] Sweeping Strikes /castsequence reset=15 Sweeping Strikes, Berserker Stance, Berserker Rage, Whirlwind, Battle Stance, Thunder Clap

You might want to consider your opener, and whether you’re generating enough initial threat. An example opener on multiple mobs would be:

Start in Battle Stance, Charge, Cast Sweeping Strikes, if Battle Shout is not up make sure to cast that (it’s also a good AoE threat generator, provided a.) it’s buffing party members and/or their pets, and b.) they are on the mobs’ threat tables). swap to Berserker Stance and Whirlwind, then hop into Defensive Stance, and tab sunder, beginning with your primary kill target.

I put together a Classic warrior tanking guide you may find of interest.

Good luck in the dungeons!