Warning: Shadowlands Class Design is Dead in the Water

My understanding is that the unpruned skills will majorly be unused in day-to-day instanced PvE. I played a feral druid in TBC and WotLK where really spells from all across the 3 trees could be viable if you specced a certain way (Base healing spells from resto, Cyclone from Balance, Nature’s Grasp, and a mix of Cat-Bear talents such as Barkskin). I bound a lot, but much - like Soothe (could be used on Enrage effects in PVP) were unbound. And it didn’t hurt.

Just my 2 cents.

What are you on, dude? Classes are borked as hell. The devs themselves have copped up to that.

22 Likes

Please revert to this design and try again Blizzard, so much more fun.

14 Likes

Get ready for your borrowed power mechanic empowered by the new -ARTIFACT POWER- oh what not AP we’ll call it anima and nobody will notice the power grind is still there cause we’re so clever and our players are dumb

Why fix classes though honestly if they can just give us rental powers and throw it away every expansion and then claim the rental power is the problem, not the devs inability to fix systems they have had 15 years to perfect.

26 Likes

It’s weird cuz systems in most games get better with time, not worse/more dumbed down.

The logical thing to do is make a great fundamental base then build around it. Not gut your great base, then use temporary, often unbalanced, unfun bandaids every so often to “fix” the problem.

22 Likes

I mean I have not for a second when playing been swearing to myself and saying I’m not having fun. Yes I think there is a lot to fix but I don’t think ‘dumpster fire’ at all accurately describes or is anything useful.

4 Likes

They’re already taking on a lot, OP. I’m not sure that there’d be room for spec reboots on top of what they’re already doing unless you’re willing to make major sacrifices elsewhere. Redesigns are incredibly expensive.

Frankly I hope it stays this way. Melee monks and demon hunters already play too much like single player action-adventure game characters and feel out of place in WoW, not to mention how those classes have helped turn PvP into a twitchy frenetic mess.

1 Like

Look I am really happy for you since you are having fun. But the fact remains that for much of the playerbase, the class design flat out sucks. For that majority, many of whom don’t play anymore - and the devs have finally agreed - the class design is lacking, and broken.

Such as???

8 Likes

Legion demo was not fun.

Dark soul being in gcd feels odd but does not make combat clunky

1 Like

It’s not a big deal. They’ve got Reforged cooking up so I can quit WoW at a moment’s notice and never look back.

Everything in Reforged looks better anyway and I get a story I can enjoy lol.

4 Likes

its still early (and yeah youd think theyd have stuff builtbefore anounceing it but it is what it is, still super early.

personally we wont loose multiple specs and I feel like spec identity is totally fine, I just, was, hoping we would get new roles for existing classes, like hunter tank, warlock healer DH ranged; hoping for necromancer class too, but at the end of the day im too attached to my hunter weather I like it or not.

I’ve tried "reidentifying “my class/main” it just doesn’t feel right, so im really, really happy eyes of the beast is back and hunters mark is sick as hellin classic so im really hopeing its the same there too.

honestly at the end of the day when it comes to class design. as long as Blizzard brings back the abilitie to mix and match our specs id be happy.classic is really cool howyou can go all in one and be the bestatsomething or be good at 2 things (if done right). its why I really like pvp/warmode talents you just get to pick what you want.

myonly worry is that blizzardwithall their games has a horrible track record of takeing things to far,andi hope they exercise caoution when moving away from spec identity, and I hope they don’t just getrid of it completely; because I seriously couldseethem going “here you go jkubarg your hunter class, andhere is your vchoice of extra ranged damage, extra pet damage, and extra trap and melee damage.” that said though, having caltrops that DoT slows enemies, with serpent sting on them all, with a talent that spreads hunters mark to all targets within 3yrds of the target, with a steel trap/binding shot root waiting outside, and a flame trap to blow them back into no mans land all while I multi shot and barrage them sounds super fun

1 Like

It’s not even in alpha. You are making wild assumptions as to what may happen and then getting upset about it. To the observer of the scantest intelligence, it is obvious that you are being ridiculous.

5 Likes

Well I did say that I am cautiously hopeful. I would rather be wrong on my prediction. But based on past experience, the mantra of “beta/live will fix it!” is completely and utterly wrong and it is ridiculous to claim otherwise when we had this exact same situation play out with BFA.

4 Likes

That’s a long article for something that doesn’t exist.

Unpruning alone is a much bigger undertaking than people think. They don’t just flip a switch and the abilities are back… in many cases these abilities haven’t been in the game for many years. A great example is Eyes of the Beast, which removed all the way back in freaking Cataclysm! In order to get it working in Classic (which uses an engine based on late Legion/early BfA) they had to scrap all of the code they had written for it before and rewrite it from scratch.

And that’s just getting the abilities back into the game. Then you’ve got to tweak them to make sense in the context of each spec’s modern iteration and go down the rabbithole of balancing them all at a game-wide scale. It’s a lot of some of the most time consuming types of work.

Now throw in covenants, legendaries, and scaling it all to work right with the level squish on top of that. There’s not a lot of room for major reworks and certainly not enough room for whole new classes, as some seem to want so badly.

3 Likes

Better to be skeptical from now than being part of the very unintelligent crowd that said “It’s only alpha” “It’s only beta” “It’s only the first patch” “ayyy we’ll have to wait until the next expansion”.

19 Likes

Well, people literally said, “wait till first content patch” to now - “wait till Shadowlands” for BFA…

15 Likes

you’re basing all of this on the non-existant alpha testing

wrong, it’s like a zygote getting ready to divide…

Blizzard said they’re not changing anything about the core design of the classes/specs, so basically just look at how class mechanics are now.

9 Likes

Which expansion did they care of class design for min maxers ? I don’t remember a expansion where no one was complaining about it .