Warmode Sharding is great

Sharding is bad right now. Seems like they did some change with 8.2 and that broke it.

Supposedly Battle for Nazjatar doesn’t start unless the shards are balanced? That hasn’t been my experience though. It starts, all the flags go red in a couple of minutes and then the people come to camp Mezzamere so they can try and get credit for the event.

That is the sum of it. Maybe it worked great on their curated internal testing realms, who knows. But when that system encounters the actual real world, lo and behold - it fails.

why are people still under the impression that sharding is meant to balance factions?

Because that is what Blizzard said, not so much factions, but that events especially in Naz are not supposed to trigger until there is a balance.

So unless players are on Warmode just doing nothing but get the 10% bonus, it is failing.

huh.

i don’t recall that.

I can’t link, but if you look on these forums for “BATTLE FOR NAZJATAR” CHANGES MADE you will find a blue post about it.

this one?

says nothing about using sharding to balance factions.

When BfA was announced I was super hyped about the faction conflict.
When warmode was announced, I swore I’d never turn it off.

And I’ve never turned it off.

And it’s basically not fun at all. I get curb stomped by big groups of Horde all the time. I see few Alliance players.

And now all the Horde can fly . . .

I’m checking boxes for Pathfinder and marking time for Classic.
BfA is a total loss for me.

I don’t think anyone assumed it would balance FACTIONS, perse, but rather it would create “a balance IN EACH Shard.”

The former is a player-controlled issue and, from all the data we have, it seems to be about as balanced as it’s gonna get.

The latter, however, could be completely controlled by the game and insure players at least have SOME SORT of decent odds to play, to fight back, to have fun.

Instead, we seem to only have curbstomp or be-curbstomped. Let’s say BfA has been out about a year/350days and I’ve done 300 days of “focused” PvP (Invasions, etc etc). In that 300, I’ve probably had FIVE occasions (at MOST) where I left thinking “HOT DAMN that was a really, REALLY good time! We had some real back and forth! It was REALLY FUN!!!”

The other 295 were me just running around, soaking my free 10% bonus because not a single Alliance was in sight; or waiting around in ghostform because I was being camped by 500 Alliance and the 3 other Horde with me couldn’t even get past being stunlocked, let alone fight back.

THAT is the part Warmode was supposed to address. Not necessarily how many Horde and Alli there ARE … but how many are in EACH SHARD. Quite the qualitative difference.

1 Like

No, but it does say it will not start the event when the SHARD is unbalanced.

Which from what we are all experiencing is not the case, that or the players in the mode are just their for the 10% and are not actually participating in the fight.

1 Like

so… exactly like life on a “pre-warmode” pvp server?

of course it can’t change the number of people on either faction… that’s a really bizarre train of thought.

…and as for controlling the number of each faction, exactly how is that meant to work?
i still don’t understand why people are under the impression that sharding was intended to create any sort of faction balance.

not sure what your point is.
…that’s exactly what it says.
it doesn’t say anything about sharding being used to balance the faction numbers.

All sharding is extremely bad. Are there people who actually like fighting mobs and having it phase out mid combat? Or going from being surrounded by your faction one second to being surrounded by the opposing faction the next? Who likes these things? Seriously.

1 Like

Isn’t that what you said in your first quote?

Sharding/ wPvP discussions all devolve into discussion about BALANCE, but the implication is about balance of whatever SHARD you are in. You then asked why people thought it would balance FACTIONS, you were arguing semantics since no one was really clear. But cmon… there is an understanding that we’re talking about SHARDS. As you even admit, no one expected Warmode to balance the FACTIONS.

This should be self-evident. It should work just like a BG, just in the open world.

When you join an AB and it’s 8v15, aren’t you pissed? You should be. The game should be trying to find more players to BALANCE the game. Similarly, Sharding Tech SHOULD work to create balanced Shards. WHY WOULDN’T IT??? While we don’t know exactly how it works, this IS what Sharding Tech is supposed to do!

And even if you have horribly lopsided teams, it should then create one “balanced” Shard, and then however many Shards of just one lonely team. I mean, sorry there aren’t more players, but that’s how the math works out.

I could now write 1000 words on how Sharding Tech could then phase people in out of each Shard so that everyone gets a chance to have some PvP… but that’s a whole other ball of nonsense that I think we can shelve for right now.

For now, it’s enough to focus on: Sharding should create SOME SORT of fair-teams in wPvP, even if it is in only ONE Shard. No one should be getting curb-stomped, these 50v4 Shards should NEVER HAPPEN. And despite all the Alliance outcry about how Horde just overwhelm everything and run-amok, it’s “Hordemode” … this isn’t our fault. And we don’t like it when it creates a Shard of 50 Alliance and 4 Horde (it happens). Believe it or not, the Horde WANT this to work, too. Again, it’s not our fault Sharding is broken.

no, that’s what you WANT it to do.
not what it was intended to do.

uh… nope, i don’t recall claiming that sharding could balance factions… because it doesn’t, and at this point, isn’t capable of doing it.

that’s a result of the queued players rejecting the queue… and those slots will get filled… eventually.

if you want balanced numbers, then stick to instanced pvp.

it seems pointless asking for “fair play” and equal numbers to be forced into wpvp situations.
that is what bgs are for.

OMG! Since when did ANYONE say ANYTHING about balancing factions? Can you stop saying this?

I said from the start, and I quote:

The events, that are happening every 3 hours, are FAILING because there is either not enough players on each shard or the players on the shards are just there for the bonus.

allow us to recap:

Keep in mind, not every response in the thread is aimed directly at you, especially when it’s quoting someone else.

that’s a player issue, not a sharding issue.
people don’t want to engage in something when they’re vastly outnumbered.

This is the exact reason why pvp servers ceased to exist.

?? I don’t see how you can argue against this point. I’m going to politely disagree with you on the rather OBVIOUS nature of how Sharding works-- when it DOES work.

(and that’s why people are so angry about it, because more often than not, they have SEEN IT WORK, but for the most part it DOESN’T WORK)

Second time now:

1> Someone/group said “Sharding should create balance.”
2> You took to semantics and said “no one said it would balance FACTIONS.” Which the original poster(s) didn’t clarify one way or the other.
3> So the original posters weren’t clear that they meant they wanted a balanced SHARD, but you called them out on wanting a balanced FACTION… which no one stated. And no one with an ounce of sense thinks is going to happen through Sharding Tech.

This isn’t always true. I’ve had enough unbalanced games and I hardly PvP anymore. So you’re more wrong than right with that statement.

No, this is what Sharding SHOULD do.

And maybe the terms “fair play” and “equal numbers” are going to get abused by the obtuse, but hopefully you can see past that to what the AVERAGE, RATIONAL player is looking for is that they simply don’t want 50v4.

In BfN, 3000:2500 is the loss we’re looking for. 3000:1500 is the kind of hopeless loss that makes you begin to lose interest.

3000:2 was the actual score of my last game. That is a dynamic that is, by definition, NOT WORKING. It’s silly if anyone would try and argue this any other way. A 3000:2 game should never have even started (that’s also part of the tech).

Doing the warmode event last night with some guildies.

One of my guildies got phased into a different shard (that didnt have the event active) moments before the event finished.

And didnt get credit for the completion.

We were all in a group together for the duration of the event.

Sharding is broken AF atm

1 Like

omg.
semantics.

it’s literally the same thing.

unless you want merc mode in wpvp, it’s not possible to balance factions within any given shard.

there have been times when queues have been bugged… but bugs are bugs.
I’m pretty sure I understand how the queue system works. :roll_eyes:

…but it isn’t.
It would be great if it did, but you’re essentially asking for someone of faction A to be booted from the zone, every time someone from faction B leaves the zone.

So now you’re trying to tell me that in a BG, people often leave a queue … and you can GUARANTEE that someone will be there to take their place…

…but somehow, in Sharding, it’s just… nope, no way, not possible, could never happen.

It’s the same thing.

It COULD work, because every one of us has SEEN it work. The problem is that it’s a wonky pos system that more often than not DOESN’T WORK and we’ve all seen that too. And without knowing EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS behind the scenes when it’s trying to create a balanced Shard (yes, despite what you say, that IS its intent), there’s not much we can do except point out how broken it is.

3000:2. That should NEVER HAPPEN.

But since you quoted me after I pointed you in the direction where Blizzard talked about balancing shards, and than started talking factions, than yes, it was aimed directly at me.

But you somehow, even after we have purposely told you the balancing is about each SHARD you still try sit here talking about how it is not meant to balance factions.

Not one person in this thread aside from you has said anything about balancing factions, we are all talking about balancing shards and how Blizzard are failing with their management of the system.

Let me summarise:
The events in question in Najatar are starting when the SHARD is out of balance. Blizzard have openly said this would not be the case. Blizzard need to sort out this world PVP garbage and ensure they do what they said they would or put a fix in place to ensure it is fair when Warmode is on.

We know they cannot force balance the factions, but they can at least try to balance each shard to make it fair.

And with that said, thanks to you not understanding what we are actually talking about, I am going to put my own post on mute so I can ignore you.