Warcrimes responsibility

Has there been any international accord in which both Alliance and Horde agreed to the definition of a warcrime?

1 Like

ugh… there was the garrosh trial i guess?

2 Likes

Return the city or suffer my curse.

Oof. I forgot about that book. Never read it. I just assumed it was a novel blaming Garrosh for everything.

Still, there doesn’t seem to be a worldwide statute in what is acceptable or not when it comes to war. If everything is an unwritten rule decided upon by an individual then those are just guidelines to be followed defending on the morality of an individual.

Would breaking the agreed upon rules of a Mak’gora be considered a warcrime?

That pretty much was all it was

Literally every crime the horde commited since WC2 were blamed on garrosh by tyrande as the Prosecutor.

Wait, why were Baine and Tyrande made Defense Attorney and Prosecutor, didn’t they have actual lawyers?

17 Likes

i wish this is true.
but i believe that we will have to WaiT AnD SeE. to believe it.
i don’t believe that they have done much to earn this peace other that the alliance is too stupid to see that they haven’t changed.

Or we probably will see exodar blowing up next.

i think that the spirits was going to declare him innocent because there is no such things as warcrimes in wow.
and that “everyone was on trial” not only garrosh.
i honestly forgot much about it considering how much i hated it.

6 Likes

Ew.

So the entire book was a kangaroo court.

#GarroshDidNothingWrong

5 Likes

i think that he was going to end up killed regardless of the trial by someone
or imprisoned, probably in one of those cells of the kirin tor.

Personally I’d be okay with just forgetting War Crimes. I know it’s canon so we technically can’t but it just feels so out of place in the lore.

Golden cut her teeth on Star Trek novels and I think War Crimes is kind of exhibit A for that. Because fantastical creatures in a high stakes but fairly mundane proceeding like a court trial is very on brand for Star Trek (hell I just described it’s pilot episode) but felt very out of left field for Warcraft.

Summary execution seems to just be the order of the day in Azeroth. On both the Horde and Alliance you are often tasked with taking the heads of criminals. Who, thankfully, are usually blatantly around whatever they’re wanted dead for just in case you had second thoughts about essentially being a for hire government assassin.

8 Likes

I mean, does it really though? Post-Vanilla I feel like the universe of WoW just kinda has every thing in it thrown together from all different genres at this point, making a war crimes trial not out of place, just another random crazy anime comic book moment in universe.

(Admittedly I have not read the book, just speakin’ bout its premise)

Baine is in Grommash Hold, Baine NEEDS to pay for the crimes the horde has committed. At the very least he deserves execution for the burning of teldrassil. Get that trash cow out of Orgrimmar.

4 Likes

This is the biggest issue with BFA’s faction conflict narrative for me.

Baine, Saurfang, etc - they didn’t oppose Sylvanas because they opposed her tactics against the Alliance. They were fine to stand by and let the Alliance’s civilian populations be brutally erased from the face of the world. The issue these two knuckleheads had was that their own people, and their honor, was being tarnished or put at risk again -just like during Garrosh’s reign.

Saurfang was 100% for the war. Baine never stood up until it was his own people on the line. None of the other leaders spoke up about the morality of the whole thing; their resistance was self serving, and that’s it.

No one has expressed regrets about their actions, only that their reputation got soured.

Blizzard is writing Anduin to have rolled over and accepted peace without terms - don’t ever get your hopes up for sensible writing, or justice, on part of the Alliance.

17 Likes

That’s not entirely true.

There is - if you take the international court here for war crimes as a reference - a point under which the whole horde would fall, not just the warchief.

• Belonging to a criminal organization

This point was not used in the Nürnberger trials to pass sentence, but it was enough to indict.

2 Likes

And as far was we know everyone in who caused the burning is dead or in chains like Saurfang is dead Sylvanas and nathanos are gone all that’s left are the no names npcs that did the actual burning

Headcanon we literally don’t know what terms or what’s in the treaty

I’ve to disagree with you here. You’ve seen the Old Soldier cinematic, yeah? We see flashes of Teldrassil’s citizens burning alive coupled with Saurfang looking grim and defeated. It demonstrably weighs on his heart heavily. That’s the point of the whole cinematic.

He is about to commit suicide by trying to solo the Alliance army until Zenkan reminds him why the Horde is important and worth saving.

Which - it is extremely weird that later Anduin basically has to do the same thing. But the point is I think he’s visibly extremely regretful.

No other characters even mention it. Which I think has more to do with this chimera of a plot and less to do with Blizzard seriously suggesting everyone else was just thumbs up for firebombing an undefended civilian population center.

17 Likes

Not true other horde mention the burning with regret lothermar is one of the

5 Likes

Thrall mentions it.

4 Likes

My mistake. Hell Gallywix comments on it too at some point now that I think about it.

However none of their reactions are framed as particularly important. Saurfang’s is. He’s more or less the soul or conscious of the Horde in BFA and is framed as miserable over the Burning of Teldrassil. It’s the point of a whole cinematic.

8 Likes

And on alliance side shandris, genn, jaina and Shaw all express anger at the burning against the horde along with what anduin feels so nope blizzard didn’t forget it was all in the war campaign which as the days go by feel like no one actually played it

1 Like