Warcraft Short Story: "The Calling"

I really appreciate the time and energy they’re putting into writing stories like these. I thought it was well-done, and I couldn’t put it down once I started it. I especially liked that we’re getting some ideas about the rest of the world outside of the Dragon Isles. And going back to Kul’Tiras was an interesting choice.

I wonder if those pirate raids are going to get a callback or two in future stories? Should be interesting to find out.

Thank you for giving us something to tide us over while we’re waiting for TWW. I imagine the current transition over to Microsoft hasn’t been an easy one, but hopefully things will smooth out by the end of the year.

4 Likes

Where do you think “Green Jesus” originated from?

Possibly however that’s something I can’t say with confidence since I was a Wrath baby. But I know Warcraft in general was his baby.

Loved the story. Cried a bit because I recently lost my dog and Fox brought all those feelings back. Animals are the best.

Blizz, I think I found a couple typos:

Page 27 : “That got Anduin’s attention” - I think this should read “got Fox’s attention”

Page 28: “He couldn’t do fail them.” - Umm…what?

Other than that, I enjoyed the story. But I’m also a dad and a sucker for any kind of father-daughter relationship stuff. Just turns me into a big crybaby. But that’s okay, I’m old enough to own it.

5 Likes

Great story. I’ve always enjoyed Christie’s writing. Keep it coming!

1 Like

Well I cried. That hit harder than I expected. If I have any criticism it’s this: Jerek. Anduin is the worst at remaining hidden! Not only did he use that name before, but Jaina found him when he was. You know, Jaina Proudmore, from Kul Tiras, where Stormsong Valley is. And now my headcanon is everyone knows where he’s been the whole time but has been pretending just to humor him.

“You needed time, we stayed away… even though all of us know exactly where you were the whole damn time because you’re really bad at this, you know.”

2 Likes

Plot Twist: The fox is an actual vulpera and knows all your secrets!

1 Like

How about letting player actions in the game have some kind of impact where they can create their own story?

Imagine Nobleman Bedroombuddy “helping” all those lonely widowed housewives whose husbands died in combat.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard that phrase. I suppose I can make an inference from the context, and it’s a fair point, assuming that’s in reference to Thrall. But I wouldn’t say that’s anywhere near as egregious as BFA or SL storytelling

They actually do. There’s a “stay a while and listen” with Shaw and Genn where they talk about how they know exactly where he is at all times.

I think people are poking fun because terrible things happen to people in this setting all the time, and people do terrible things in this setting all the time. There’s a lot of Trauma, and a lot of growth. But we’re glued to the story of someone who feels bad about what someone else did with his body.

And for a real person, having that kind of angst and trauma is a reasonable and expected thing to be going through, but it’s hard for to take that seriously because we’re also in a universe where people brush off things like being undead.

There’s also the possibility that half the playerbase is kind of sick about following alliance characters around and dealing with their stuff. While also being on the faction that keeps getting the villain stick and being culpable for the things that happened to the sad alliance characters.

Notice how on the “Voices Within” poster there’s four different alliance characters and two horde characters. And we’re told that the story in TWW is mostly about alleria and anduin. It feels like every time a horde character gets the be the headline in the story they’re causing mass murder, or kissing alliance boots, because the writers at blizzard don’t know how to do anything else.

2 Likes

Correct, but I meant more along the lines of letting him believe he’s good at remaining hidden because it makes him easier to track.

I don’t know who’s been doing the artwork for these short stories, but he or she is no Samwise Didier.

The old adage “never read the comments section” applies here.

Golden is, objectively, an excellent writer, and has been center in defining a lot of the “soft lore” of WoW since 2001. That said, you can say her style is not your cuppa, but just because you don’t particularly like her writing style doesn’t make her a bad writer.

The story itself is a character study of Anduin: what happens to someone who was incredibly sheltered, and in many ways spoiled, brought into authority too soon and without the proper tempering, then violated; and then having to process the trauma.

It’s also does a bit of “soft” world building. What do I mean by that? Borrowing from the definition of “hard” and “soft” magic systems, “hard” world building is the creator laying out the world directly. In this case, “in game.” What we play through, what we learn through flavor text, is the “hard” world building.

“Soft” world building is the ancillary stuff: the information that is not playable in game. It’s fleshing out the greater world that creates the background “mind palace" in which we, as characters, exist. In D&D terms, it’s the Drizzt book in comparison to the game module you sit down at the table and play through.

With this tale, we learn a bit about what Stormsong Valley is like after the Fourth War - an environment we will never see in game because Blizzard rarely redesigns old zones, and you can’t play through a sleepy town with the occasional raid. If we ever do go back to Stormsong, it will be because of some existential crisis, and we will not see a sleepy village and day-to-day lives of the citizenry.

We also get to see a snapshot of what life was like for veterans of the Fourth War - keeping in mind that the Alliance’s experiences are not parallel to that of the Horde. The Alliance did not start the war: designed to be a meat-grinder war (a war which is designed to basically throw bodies at each other until one side runs out of bodies). The Fourth War was the equivalent of World War I in terms of approach, and just like World War 1 broke many (They are not called the “Lost Generation” for nothing), the Fourth War still has a lot of fallout, and if anyone thinks that you just “come back” from war unchanged, you really don’t know, or you don’t listen to those who have - and maybe opinions shouldn’t be derived from war RPGs, tv shows and movies.

If this Anduin is not the Anduin you remember from Mists or even BfA, it is because he is NOT the same Anduin. He is an Anduin who became king too soon, guided a war he was not prepared for and then co-opted by effectively a “god” and committed acts that were in direct violation to his core principles. He’s not going to just “bounce back” and be the same Anduin you remember from 15 years ago. That’s not how storytelling works, and that’s not how people work.

It’s OK to not like how a character’s story arc is going. It’s OK to have your own thoughts on “what should have happened.” But Golden isn’t writing in a vacuum. Any writer hired by Blizzard is given “talking points” that need to be addressed in the story (get so-and-so from point a to point b). The writer then crafts the tale with those goals in mind. And Blizzard has to APPROVE the story. So whether you like the tale or not, whether you believe Anduin is acting “in character” or not, Blizzard approved the story, so that is the story Blizzard wanted told, and Blizzard is saying that what we read is in character, because Anduin is Blizzard’s character.

For the record, the following are seminal works of Golden’s - works which have gone far to define the overarching paracosm of WoW - what made the Horde the Horde, specifically, beyond the initial Vanilla experiences which have perpetuated amongst the community each expansion since:

Note: This is a partial list

• Lord of the Clans] (2001)
  • Rise of the Horde] (2006)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal], with Aaron Rosenberg (2008)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King] (2009)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects] (2011)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War] (2012)
  • War Crimes (2014)
  • Warcraft: Durotan, with Chris Metzen (2016)
  • Windrunner: Three Sisters (2018)
  • Before the Storm (2018)
  • Elegy (2018)

The tl;dnr is that Golden has been writing about Warcraft since before the MMORPG even launched. She knows the source material and plays the game. The reader needs to simply be self-aware enough to understand personal preference versus objective assessment; i.e.: you can dislike something on personal grounds, but just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean that something is objectively bad.

8 Likes

In the Sylvanas novel, also written by Golden, Anduin gets to lecture Sylvanas about how she’s more privileged than he is. Sylvanas literally got killed in a genocide and was rasied against her will while being forced to do terrible things. According to Anduin, and thus Golden and Blizzard, Sylvanas had it so good, but we’re supposed to care this much about Anduin being mind controlled for a few months at best, when he didn’t even kill anyone? You can’t have it both ways.

You don’t need to be a grocher to know a bad apple.

No but you can make a suggestion as to what apple to buy instead.

Just a brief overview, how should the story have been different and why?

I think a disconnect a lot of people have is lacking the WC1-WC3 perspective where the establishment of Alliance characters was shaky at best and surrounded with constant Ls.

Plenty of Alliance characters (or characters associated with Alliance races) have been the “bads”. Like Arthas, Illadin, Garithos, Archbishop Benedictus, Yrel is being made out that way, Kael’thas (Debatable), Jaina, etc.

Meanwhile the Horde has had 2 characters be overt enemies in Garrosh and Sylvanas.

I think Horde fans cling to the perspective that it’s “much worse” for them because Thrall stepped down as Warchief, Garrosh Dies, Vol"jin Dies but comes back, and Sylvanas is removed from the story ((for now, after being the MC for 2 expansions))

So they’ve gone through 4 different leaders, and only 1 stays dead.

But like…on the Alliance side, the leader of Stormwind have been Archbishop Benedictus, Bolvar, Varian, Anduin and Turalyon, where: 2 have stayed dead, 2 are removed from faction and 1 remains.

looks kind of like that jake Paul guy

“The light wont come, im sorry…i cant save you.”

“You useless piece of trash, move…ill heal them myself.”

Seriously though… i do NOT like what yall did to anduin…

I liked the story and I like the fox. Glad they didn’t kill it.