Warcraft Media Timeline and Order

Updated August 28, 2022, here is my massive, comprehensive timeline of Warcraft/WoW games, novels, short stories, comics, graphic novels, manga and short films/video/anime, with as many links as I could possibly find. Improvements are welcome, you can contact me on this thread or through the info in the Google Sheet. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pXIf1TYnpwKWAmQVNh94lI_4uFXsqRyyxrkqS7QnPVI/edit?usp=sharing

2020-10-26: Editing this post since the forums are broken and won’t let me reply. I’ve updated the sheet this weekend with better dates (according to WoWpedia) and a few new/fixed links. Amorinna, as for your question, if you’ll note, those two items are actually in sequential order, not “next to each other”. The events of Warcraft III: Frozen Throne happen before the beginning of the Well of Eternity, except what is happening in Well is that the heroes in that trilogy are going back in time and altering the events of the War of the Ancients.

Since the book (2001) was released before the game (2002), I’m not sure which version of events the game actually refers to (before or after the changes made by our time travelers in Well. It’s been too long since I’ve read it to try to figure it out from memory. If you do come across any hints that place things in better relation to each other, and there is a way I can include this in the timeline, I’m all ears. Speaking of Warcraft III cinematics, I do link to a summary in the timeline which may be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AH8Nl7Ehjo. (9 videos between WC III: RoC and WC III: FT).

The best way to experience this trilogy is to read it as self-contained at first, and then follow the character threads outwards to see what other books/media they are in, especially if you’re not trying to read things chronologically in the first place. The timeline is intended more towards helping people place things into context rather than as a reading order, per se, because there will always be new content released to fill out certain eras.

2 Likes

Okay, I don’t really play WoW, but I’m good friends with people who do, and I’m a librarian, so I’ve been working on reading the novels. First of all - your list is the first one I’ve ever seen that put Lord of the Clans, Of Blood and Honor, and Arthas before The War of the Ancients Trilogy. So I’m currently reading The Well of Eternity, even though I haven’t read those other three yet. Nbd, my understanding is because most of this trilogy is in the past. My question for you now is - are you able to maybe put links to cinematic where they go? I ask because you’ve got the Well of Eternity next to Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, but the book is Rhonin, Krasus, and Brox working with Malfurion and the Aspects before Deathwing goes crazy and just as Azshara/Xavius release the Burning Legion under Sargeras influence, and when I look up Warcraft III cinematics, I find nothing that sounds like what I’m reading. Does that make sense? I’m sure it will take you a lot of time, so no pressure, but it might be something to consider adding. Thanks!