Warcraft has lost its way

Sad thing is players who harp on about how good DF is ignore the fact that we are not any more important in the story of dragonflight than we were in Shadowlands. Even now the story is trying to soup up the Aspects again so they can save the world while my character is over here having a few aspects heads still mounted on the wall wondering why we are bothering.

We are being sidelined again for super powered NPC’s

That’s the thing though. Nobody is ignoring that. It’s just that people are actually having FUN for the first time in a long time.

I confounds me that some people are actually upset that other people are having legitimate fun in a expansion. It boggles my mind

1 Like

that is fine your still in your honeymoon period where it all seem new and fun. Don’t get me wrong the dragon riding and talent system are alot of fun but they aint the story. The story is actually pretty shallow and is following the same tropes people have had issues with in the last few expacs.

Id rather blizzard correct the course of the story before they destroy another expac rather than doubling down on the Superpower NPC bro’s save the world while im over here having to collect 10 bettle shells for them.

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I never played WoW for the story. It’s always been paper thin and shallow. The Campaing Story isn’t bothering me because I actually have other to occupy my time with.

If I was here for the story, I would have quit a long time ago.

So, you sit on the story forums to discuss what? I mean I notice most of your time is spent belittling other players, but if you don’t care about the story what are you doing here?

There is a whole general forum for discussing other parts of the game go there.

You got me confused for someone else mate. Don’t know who you think I am.

Other than that, if you want to discuss the story, we can. Just don’t throw a tantrum when people are being honest

I’m a Roleplayer. And I never said the story didn’t have it’s place. It’s just not what keeps me playing and I don’t know why some of you get pissy about that. You’re like the third person now to get angry when I mentioned the story isn’t what keeps me playing. It’s got it’s good moments.

I mean, the writing is generally about the same, beyond the Meta Narrative being a lot more “Safe” and “Harmless”. Its simply easier look away. But in terms of Zone quality, its about the same. Like, SLs had good zones. BfA had good zones. DF has good zones. WoD had good zones. Some better than others, but that’s pretty normal for an expac. But, I’d be lying with how unbelievably heavy handed the writing is about “MOVING ON”, I kinda feel about disconnected to “Azeroth” on the DIs as I did in the SLs in some ways.

Like, am I enjoying parts of DF? Sure. But … outside of the Meta Narrative just being easier to ignore, I’m not sure I can say the writing is “better” than the prior two. Still plagued with the underlying writing styles that current Blizz is famous for. Creating a foundation for a world built on deeper and deeper quicksand.

I don’t understand why a person who doesn’t play the game for the story spends all day on a story forum arguing with players who do care if the story is good or not, then insulting people when they point out the hypocrisy.

Again, seems like me and those other people who point this out know exactly what you are.

Indeed so, I did enjoy alot of the side content in these expacs and some of it not so much however it feels like the Meta Narrative is always reliant on these over powered NPC’s driving the story, I can only imagine the story would be better served removing the aspects from the story all together or atleast removing this story to empower them again.

You’re the one trying to cause problem right now. It YOU trying to cause a issue where there was none before.

It’s really sad actually and I feel bad that you feel the need to act this way. Frankly, it’s embarrassing how childish your being right now over a simple comment.

If there’s a aspect of the lore you want to discuss, than let’s discuss it. I’m all ears.

your the one who respond to my discussion about the story trying to tear down my argument about the direction of the main narrative with nothing other than “im having fun so stop bagging on the game”

You asked why I was here and I gave a honest answer that the story isn’t what keeps me here. I never said it didn’t have issues.

YOU are the one who decided to make this into something it wasn’t and your current bad behavior is entirely on YOU.

Because the game they like is being criticized in any capacity, they have to defend it in every capacity. They may not care about the story, or lore, or the world they build … they DO care that other people are complaining about them. After all, RPers can make ANY game good, no matter how bare bones it is. So long as the platform supports an open sandbox to play and build around in.

I dont know who it was, but I remember seeing someone on these threads saying something akin to “Its great seeing all these different people work cooperatively like in DF”. And all I could think of is, “well, yeah, they’d better work well together. Outside of their barest surface aesthetics, they’ve all been turned into the same people. They’ve been stripped of any cultural and racial distinctiveness”. Its like what the Corporate World THINKS diversity is lol! A great example of this being a specific Pandaran Earthen Ring member at a first zone digsite. She was apparently there to advise on Elemental Activity, y’know, being a member of the Earthen Ring. But somehow she’s no more valuable or knowledgeable on the topic than her DI Dwarf and Nightborne Archeologist counterparts. Nothing about her felt like a Shaman beyond that ER tag.

4 Likes

yeah, part of the reasons I miss class halls at least it felt like the game gave my character as reason as to why my death knight was doing XYZ. It is also a reason the Alliance/horde races feel so bland as well as all the races now conform to modern ideology rather than keeping anything that kept them unique within the game.

Its why when people see content that is specific to a race(unless the butcher it like the worgen added content) or class it is embraced as a good thing and generally enjoyed vs the homogenised rubbish the rest of the game does.

You know this sub forum is called the Lore forum, where we DISCUSS the lore. I’m sure they have a complaint sub forum somewhere.

Again, what do you guys want to discuss? Lets go. Throw something out there to discuss.

we are discussing the story, your the one here with nothing to add other than “im enjoying the expac, stop complaining”.

THIS. 10/char

2 Likes

Again, YOU said this. This is the most bizarre behavior I’ve seen to date.

You spent half the comments needlessly and sadly attacking me over me giving a honest opinion on what keeps ME playing. I didn’t say don’t talk about the story, I didn’t say don’t complain. All I said was that the story has always been paper thin and shallow. And most people agree with that, so I don’t know what you’re real issue is here.

It’s embarrassing.

Every time I’ve discussed lore, and my issues with certain liberties they’ve taken with the lore in this game, you’re response has been something akin to "Who cares?! I like the game! All that matters is some vaguely defined “World/Setting”. Like, here’s a lore point oh person who likes the Centaur in DF. Is there anything about their culture or their story that requires they be Centaur? If your answer is “no”, then you’d be right. Their story could work perfectly fine with nearly any other NPC race, but minus the glaring, pointless retcons.

If anything, people in this sub are complaining about the idea that standards have dropped so low on “Lore Cohesiveness”, many no longer recognize that so many of the problems plaguing WoW’s storytelling and worldbuilding tie right back into that very issue. You can’t support a World foundation on a ever deepening pit of quicksand.

2 Likes

If blizzard truly wanted to get back to “vanilla” wow where we are all just adventures. They should just scrap the Aspect story line and invest that time in fleshing out other race/class content to make players feel involved with the story and world. Just let the primalist be big bad dragons we need to kill without the help of aspects.

This need for the writers to have their own hero’s in the story is detracting from player investment because we are just watching them do all the epic moments rather than having our own.