Warcraft has lost its way

Nope actually untrue. It can consciously give power to Druids after it was cleansed of Nightmare corruption. It gave more energy than Nordrassil when Malfurion reached out to the trees in Stormrage. Couldn’t give immortality of course because that was a Nozdormu thing.

hard to punish another king.

As Tyrande bluntly showed in BFA if pushed to a point they feel the Alliance is not living up to its side of the deal, constituent member states can tell the high king to take a hike and go do this own thing. There isn’t some blood oath sort of deal where the high king is an autocratic ruler. It is more a complex interlocking series of mutual defense and trade pacts between sovereign nations. It is sort of like if NATO and the EU had a baby.

Not another king who 1. Doesn’t have a kingdom, and 2. You outrank.

He had full authority to punish Rogers, but did not.

1 Like

Remember how they explicitly made the High King a non political, military position for the combined forces of the Grand Alliance to maintain the feeling of political autonomy of the leaders and differentiate them from the Horde?

Lmao R E A L L Y love that Legion got rid of this and made it hereditary (FOR SOME REASON?) to hype up Anduin. I REALLY hope they correct that when they return and just leave Anduin as King of Stormwind, let Turalyon stay Lord Commander of combined military powers, and call it there.

1 Like

As an “Old School” Alliance fan and a human fan in particular this has been my argument for years and a large part of why the overall Alliance narrative has suffered from the start of WoW (Even though there was good still.)

The Alliance and Human story in particular from Vanilla onward was awkwardly disconnected from the events of WC3. WC3 left off with the survivors of Lordaeron joined by others from Kul Tiras, Gilneas, Stromgarde, High Elves & Dwarves forming a new Kingdom in Kalimdor under Jaina. Meanwhile in WoW as a new human player you start off in Stormwind which had no onscreen role in WC3. They had no troops part of Jaina’s expedition. There were no Stormwind characters present in the story with the exception of Gavinrad the Dire. They started far removed from the Scourged lands of Lordaeron and even further removed from Theramore which was never portrayed as the true kingdom/city state it was.

The events of WC3 weren’t really mentioned too much either as a low level Human or Alliance character. It was just so far removed from the experience. And then Theramore which was the remnant of that event was destroyed in MOP.

2 Likes

I think the best Vanilla human stuff was this sentiment of mistrust to Paladins, but i cant even remember WHERE it came from lol.

Stormwind is logically, a melting pot of other kingdoms at this point. The population of an entire kingdom had to escape on a boat- tons must have been unable to escape and died. For it to regrow so quickly, so many people from other kingdoms would’ve had to move south and started permanently settling. There’d have been a ton of Stormwind descendants born in Lordaeron too. And this stuff is always conveniently just shoved under the rug.

1 Like

Or you know, Sylvanas was never that great at understanding people/was horrible at planning.

I mean, she got betrayed by Putress, Varimathras and Godfrey and the Jailer.

That was NOT Vanilla and was Warcraft 3.

Death Knights were once virtuous defenders of Humanity. However, once the Paladin ranks were disbanded by the failing Alliance, many of these holy warriors traveled to the quarantined lands to ease the suffering of those left within the plague-ridden colonies. Though the Paladins were immune to disease of any kind, they were persecuted by the general populace who believed that they had been infected by the foul plague. A small band of Paladins, embittered by society’s cruelty, traveled north to find the plague’s source. These renegade Paladins succumbed to bitter hatred over the course of their grueling quest. When they finally reached Ner’zhul’s icy fortress in Northrend they had become dark and brooding.

I imagine he swatted him hard across the snout with a rolled-up scroll and shouted “No! Bad! Go lay down!”

6 Likes

I don’t think Anduin would’ve needed to be high king in order to sanction Genn in some way. He’s effectively a couch surfer. Anduin could restrict his access to Stormwind’s resources or order him and his people to up and get out if he really wanted to.

Not that the game would ever have that happen, of course. But Genn’s power as king is more or less the same courtesy that was given to Anduin as high king.

do people simply forget that Genn did find out sylvanas was out making deals with Helya, Capturing Eyir and trying to make an army of Valkyr under her control which would have been impossible to stop?

Anduin can’t really fault Genn when he stopped her from ending the world. Should have got a damn parade for his hard work.

1 Like

Sounds like what ultimately happened. That Anduin didn’t like that Genn decided to start an aggressive campaign but ultimately decided to just give him a warning because he turned out correct.

On that note, it looks like Sylvanas left out the whole “making deals with Helya thing” when he told the Horde what happened. I am sure Saurfang might have had a different reaction if he knew what happened.

No, Genn found out that Sylvanas was “up to something”, but neither he nor Rogers knew what that was when the initiated their attack. They were using intel fed to them by Dread Lord Shaw as an excuse to act on their own personal grudges. We also didn’t know exactly what she was doing till long afterwards, not even the Forsaken knew the endgoal beyond the objective. And as contentious as it was to try to enslave Eyir, Sylvie could have easily used the excuse that she was doing it to preserve and improve her own people’s quality of of life. Which, yes, Eyir’s capacity to create Val’kyr would be theoretically able to that too. Granted it would have been BS, but its not a lie you could actually call her on at the time. Even if you could question her methods.

EDIT: But … this is WoW. Blizz will never commit to Alliance acts of aggression in any way that doesn’t prove them completely validated and right; to the point the Horde isn’t even allowed to react to it. Or they’ll play it safe and write some invalidating event to white wash it. My favorite instance of this being the attack of SI:7 on Goblin civilians in Silithus. Where Blizz actually screwed up the timetable of events for their 1st invalidating event, which resulted in Bilgewater miners attacking the Explorers League TWICE … for no real reason. Not that Blizz was concerned with giving the Horde reasons for anything it did in BfA. They did the thing, cuz story.

5 Likes

but at the same time, you expect Genn to be blamed after the fact when he was proven right that Sylvanas was up to no good. Why would Anduin punish Genn when he probably saved the Alliance with his actions.

Crippling the Horde fleet and preventing sylvanas from getting reinforments meant he was able to get into position and stop her. If he hadn’t done that he likely would have been delayed when he went to confront her and she would have taken Eyir to helya already at that point.

1 Like

Genn NEVER knew exactly what Sylvanas was doing beyond capturing Eyir. No one did till years later. Which is why his big heroic sting moment in the cinematic, was him declaring vengeance for Varian (wrongly), and his son. Because he and Rogers were using Sylvie’s “shifty” movements as an excuse to act on their vendettas. Which on its own would not have been an issue. Its perfectly within character for all involved. It was the fallout of this event that was the problem. Because as always, its a glaring example of Blizz’s total unwillingness to commit to Alliance aggression and “grey”. They’ve done this constantly since Cata. They’re very quick to bury the Alliance in validations and justifications for anything fringing on untoward, but can’t bother with motives for Horde.

What Rogers and Genn effectively did was orchestrate an attempted assassination against the Horde’s new Warchief based purely on flimsy suspicion and personal grudges. Which Anduin gave his passive consent for due to his total lack of reaction to it. But, because Genn would be proven right YEARS later, this was not considered an act of War; and the Horde could not be allowed to react to it. Because it HAD to be the Horde that broke the peace in BfA. Just as Varian literally declaring War against the Horde in WotLK had to be invalidated, so the Horde could break the peace in Cata. And again in MoP. Largely thru the use of Peace Treaties in between expac books. Created just in time to invalidate prior Alliance aggression, and for the Horde to break them.

2 Likes

You mean those justified vendettas because some “rebels” of her people plagued bombed southshore, Or attacked at wrath gate. How about the deploying the plague against the direct orders of her warchief against a civilan target.

Funny how you argue Genns actions he isn’t held responsible for but ignore the many more time the story has ignored sylvanas actions or those of her people.

That’s not what I’m arguing. I fully admit that it was fully within the realms of their characters to do everything they did. Its the FALLOUT of it I take issue with. And every time I bring this up, Alliance players try to shift it back to Genn and Rogers as individuals. Ignoring who they were politically.

Because no matter how much they might be PERSONALLY justified in taking a crack at Sylvanas, it was still TWO High Ranking officials of the Alliance using Alliance Resources to make an assassination attempt of the Horde’s Leading Figure while under an active peace treaty. For shaky public reasons at best, that they were only validated in years later. And which Anduin gave his passive consent for due to not reacting to it. Due in no small part to him and Genn falsely blaming the Horde for Varian’s death, even after they knew the Horde lines broke and Jin fell at the Broken Shore. Because there were Alliance members secretly in attendance at his funeral.

But … the Horde wasn’t allowed to react. Because they couldn’t be allowed to. Because they’re never allowed to. Because the Peace HAD to be maintained until the Horde could break it in the next expac. Exactly like with what happened leading into Cata. Repeated Alliance acts of aggression, no matter how justified, with almost none from the Horde leading up to the War. Invalidated and whitewashed so the Horde can “start it for no reason”. Then Blizz throws some horrific act and retcons in when they do to make everyone forget what proceeded it.

3 Likes

True. I’ve said this many times over the years and i know there’s been others who have as well, but despite the disconnect Stormwind had, it still could have worked as the follow up to the human/alliance story from WC3. If Vanilla could be redone, than i would say the human refugees from the North should part of the human starter experience in those Stormwind zones. They need to be part of the story. There should be refugees from the different kingdoms spread around the questing experience and even in Stormwind City itself.

When it comes to Stormwind City itself, the different districts could have been essentially been “Ethnic” enclaves for the refugees of the different Kingdoms.

Old Town: Stromgarde Enclave (Due to the Warrior theme there)

Cathedral Square: Lordaeron Enclave w/ Knights of the Silver Hand having a strong presence.

Mage Quarter: Dalaran Enclave

The Park: Thalassian Elf Enclave w/ Night Elves present as well.

Dwarven District: Remains the Dwarven District, but it could also house a small population of Southern Silverpine Gilneans.

Spread them around to the various zones and have them taking part in protecting the new Kingdom they now share.

Lordaeron Paladins fighting Undead in Duskwood, Stromgarde Warriors defending Lakeshire from Blackrock Orcs etc.

Because it’s not an activity you typically want to endorse.
Yea, Genn was right in the end. Whoop’d’doo.
But what if he wasn’t?
Then he would’ve sparked conflict and risked the procurement of a Pillar during a world-ending invasion.

Like, if I see someone standing outside a store who looks super shifty.
Maybe it’s someone I personally know is shifty.
So I take the initiative and attack them unprovoked. I beat the tar out of them.
And, after the fact, turns out they were planning to rob the store

Should I be rewarded for preventing the robbery?
Or punished for attacking and injuring someone with zero provocation other than a hunch?

If a cop did the above, people would rightfully ask that they be removed from the force.
Or, at least, I’d hope so.