Warcraft & Gender (Survey Results & Analysis)

“What will computer-mediated communication do to our commitment to other people? Will it satisfy our needs for connection and social participation, or will it further undermine fragile relationships? What kind of responsibility and accountability will we assume for our virtual actions?” - Turkle (1997, p. 187)

Nick Yee’s DAEDALUS PROJECT (published in July 2005) states that for World of Warcraft, “The RL gender distribution is 84% male vs. 16% female.”

In many years playing the game and as a woman myself, that projected number felt startlingly low; certainly the data collected at the peak of gaming as a primarily masculine-aligned hobby (both in practice and in marketing) could no longer be reflective of the modern landscape.

In 2008, the Pew Research Center noted that “Overall, men (55%) are slightly more likely than women (50%)… to play any kind of digital game.” Interestingly as well at the time, “only 9% of gamers play…MMOG’s”.

In 2016, Statista researcher Alexander Kunst reported that “40 percent of respondents aged 18 to 29 years played MMO games often, while further 20 percent did so regularly.” In just eight years the amount of people playing MMO games regularly nearly quadrupled.

What could that reflect upon the landscape of the game’s players in real life?

What could it reflect upon the current landscape of the game’s players today?

The first and most notable feature is that this survey was conducted on two roleplaying servers (Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord) renowned for their positive & forward-facing presence of the LGBT community as well as traditionally ‘radical’ ideas such as gender non-coformity.

It is important to mention that Blizzard does not & will not disclose exact populations on their games, but players may use websites like raider io and WoWprogress to find an approximation of individual characters created on each realm.

At the end of this survey, Alliance on Moon Guard has an estimated population of around 5658 unique characters & Horde on Wyrmrest Accord has a population of approximately 4252 unique characters. A bulk of the data collected was on Moon Guard.

With 261 responses & an estimated population of 5658, only around 4.6% of active players were polled.

This decision was made due to the ability to advertise through an ‘add-on’ for roleplayers where you are able to create a free-form profile for the character you play as in-game. Add-ons are external code written in the programming language Lua that uses functions and variables exposed by the World of Warcraft client to modify User Interface (UI) elements.

Through using the most common roleplaying addon TRP3, active players between the month of 2/29-3/29 of this year were invited to take the survey through the same voluntary method of finding a roleplaying partner; mousing over my in-game character & then opening the link to the survey through my add-on profile.

While many use it for its typical purpose as a dungeons and dragons character sheet, it can be used in many different ways, such as: out of character information like age and orientation, composing a dungeon group, memes, PvP experience, fanfiction stories, ironic statements, and occasionally targeted harassment. In this case, it was a self-selecting survey link.

The second and equally notable difference between this data and previous data is the presence of nonbinary identities and gender-nonconforming individuals. 20% of survey participants noted that their preferred gender is or falls into the umbrella of “nonbinary”. This is a startling change to previous (conflicting) estimates of “16 percent” & “about 21 percent female players” (Yee 2005).

34.8% of survey respondents describe themselves as women, which is a notable increase from the projected numbers above. 28.7% of these women say that their primary character’s gender identity does not vary from their own gender in real life. Just 6.5% say that their primary character is male. 82% of female participants seemingly prefer to represent more closely to their ‘analog’ person and are generally less open to experimentation comparative to their male gaming counterparts.

“It never ceases to amuse me how people, and by that I mean males, assume because I and a woman and I RP that I cannot play the game. Particularly sense I am a multi-time Gladiator and currently ilevel 487. And boys wonder why I am not attracted to them. laugh

"I’m an avid gamer, and as with my overall experience gaming, Warcraft is no exception regarding my gender. I specifically have never done voice chat in Warcraft, despite playing since Legion, because of the fear of hate (I am a woman and I sound very feminine). Additionally, there’s the creeps. "

“Though the gaming experience has vastly improved throughout the years as a female on WoW (I’ve been playing since 2007), I’ve had many, MANY experiences in the past where I’ve been labeled and judged for what I play or how I play due to being a female. When I was younger, I would just not even touch any healing classes due to the female healer stereotypes and judgement. I think that anyone should be able to play any class or spec they want to without the fear of judgement or playing into a stereotype. Games are meant to be fun for everyone, no matter how you choose to play it!”

“When I first played wow I conformed to the whole “Girls only play healers” stereotype, and played lots of healers through the first 4-5 years into the game, but the latest few years now I started expanding to more roles like dps and tank, tank I ended up not liking in WoW, but in FFXIV I became a tank main for the past 6 years :)”

“I find it very frustrating how many guys play female avatars with the excuse of ‘I wanna look at something pretty’. I like guys and I would like to look at guys in my party. Instead there are more female heroes than males these days. Especially among my friends and boyfriend. And no, i will not change my avatar to male. I like looking female.”

“I’ve religiously avoid PVP after interactions with other players directly commenting about being female and telling me to stick to PVE. So now I just RP and PVE :slight_smile: . 3.2k io and pushing! Best healer around >:D”

22% of survey-taking women answered ‘yes’ to the belief of non-verbal gender communication in MMOs (i.e through specific hairstyles & outfit choices). 16% of these women say that they intentionally attempt to evoke a gendered feeling through their transmog, character names and behavior.

6.1% of female respondents also say that the classes of the game have a gendered feeling to them, but are overshadowed by 17.2% of their same-sex peers disagreeing or even voicing disdain at the viewpoint.

10.7% of women respondents agree with the claim of LFG being a heavily gendered experience, whereas 22.6% of women would disagree. Answerers cite stereotypes as being simultaneously liberating for some (such as women who greatly enjoy healing the most out of the trinity and enjoy the social leverage it gives), and also negative for others (such as women who are pigeonholed into being only healers and not trusted with any other role, or nitpicked when they attempt to diverge).

4.5% of females believe that certain forms of content in WoW are highly gendered. 8.8% believe that it has no bearing on their ability to perform in everything the game has to offer. ½ of respondents in the “Yes, and it has put me off of trying certain content” section were female, with the remaining half of answers split evenly amongst male and nonbinary surveymates.

16% of female respondents report being made to feel unwelcome somewhere because of their gender. 13% say that it’s never been an issue for them. Respondents in that category cite their environment (guilds and Discord servers) as an immune system that prevents those situations from happening.

11% of women admit to guessing another player’s gender based off in-game information (race, class, sex, etc). 23.7% say they do not attempt to guess, likely in part of understanding how many male players enjoy female models compared to the female enjoyment of male models.

17% of women say they’ve never roleplayed a stereotype for euphoria or affirmation. 16% of female answerers say they’ve roleplayed a lore-gendered character with that intent in mind. Subversion of traditional gender roles as the focus is much more present amongst female experiences. Cited examples include Tyrande (female Night Elf priestess), female Night Elf druids (in spite of the ‘male’ stereotype), and Vanessa VanCleef (female human rogue which is traditionally seen as a more masculine class by respondents).

13% of women say that the introduction of in-game currency gender changes at the barber shopped helped with their virtual gender presentation. 22% said it made no difference, which aligns with the data of female players not often changing to male models (even for transmog differences).

50.5% of respondents in the female category self-identified as transgender, and cite the game as having a specific impact on their identity.

“Before I was out as a transgender woman, I initially only played male characters in games as to not being “that guy” per say. I made my first female character(s) (a LF Paladin and a BElf Monk) after I started questioning my gender identity. Expressing myself through those characters helped me realize who I was C:”

“As a trans woman, wow and other games were some of my first steps into becoming comfortable with presenting online as a girl. Being able to play as a feminine character without anybody judging or seeing it as weird helped and in my experience most people are either supportive or don’t care.”

“IT mad me realize I was massively transgender and help me express that in my early days of grappling with it.”

“I used to only play men. I thought it was inappropriate for boys to play girls and vis versa. But I grew up in a highly conservative Christian environment. Eventually when I went off to college, I tried playing girls. I even pretended I was a girl to try and minimize if I was “found out”. Eventually I met my future fiancé. He helped me realize if was fine to just play girls and enjoy it. Theeeen about a year later I realized I was trans, and came out to him. Years later we are getting married! He helped me realize it was okay to feel a certain way. Never forced me to. And playing in wow helped me until I got HRT and explore my gender identity and how I like presenting my gender and such.”

“WoW did actually play a massive role in my transfem egg hatching. The way I spoke and carried myself led people to assume I was a girl but never asked me my gender directly and when a friend did ask me if i was male or female my body just instinctually said “girl” after basically being fem gendered to all my friends online just from existing with self expression i am more comfy with.”

"I actually owe WoW a bit of a thanks. It provided me a safe way to explore my own gender through roleplay and creating characters. Over time I was able to understand that I preferred female toons because I myself am female. For many years that was the only safe expression I had for it. "
Statistics for men differ greatly as well. 40.6% of survey participants listed themselves as male, a near half decrease from the hypothetical real life gender distribution of 84% slated in the 2000s.

Of the 40% of men in the survey, 23.7% reported that their primary character’s gender identity does not differ from their identity in real life. Inversely, 21% of men say that their primary character’s identity does vary from their own. Compared to the 6.5% of women who say that their identity is different from their character, men appear to be 3 times more likely to engage in crossing the in-game identity threshold.

“Despite being a man irl, sometimes I will become disillusioned with a character if it isn’t a beautiful woman I can dress up and present myself as.”

“I tend to prefer RP as a female character for some reason, even though I have no real life confusion about what I am, I find fantasy female characters easier to sink into.”

“Someone got me a transmog in game because they thought I was legit female.”

“I personally don’t like guys playing as women in rp. though I do know that my stance is flawed. I feel uncomfortable by it for some reason - more so a man pretending to be a woman.”

“I play mostly only male characters and I find as a roleplayer, many people prefer RPing with people that are the gender they are attracted to.”

“Being bad when pushing competitive content is rude. Doesn’t matter if you’re a guy or girl”

“Whenever I play female characters I find people are more willing to RP with me and are oft less intimidated by my demeanor.”

30.6% of survey-taking males answered ‘yes’ to the belief of non-verbal gender communication in MMOs (i.e through specific hairstyles & outfit choices). 15.7% of those men say that they intentionally attempt to evoke a gendered feeling through their transmog, character names and behavior. Not far behind, 16% of men say that they do not intentionally attempt to evoke any form of gender presentation.

8.8% of male respondents say that classes have an inherently gendered feeling to them. Largely disagreeing, 23.7% of men say that the classes have no essential or intentionally gendered nature.

15.7% of men agree with the claim of LFG being a heavily gendered experience. 27% disagree and claim that all roles can be successfully accomplished by any player, regardless of identity.
Men more often than women cite being forced into roles like tanking and dps than their female and nonbinary counterparts.

9% of male answerers say that certain forms of content are highly gendered. 16.8% of men disagree, and a small portion (¼) of the “Yes, and it has put me off of trying certain content” category responses are men.

9% of men say they have been made to feel unwelcome somewhere because of their gender. 26.8% say that it has never been a problem for them personally.

18% of men say they have assumed someone’s gender behind the screen based off of their in-game presentation (race, class, sex, etc). 26% of men say they have not or attempt to not consciously draw conclusions without speaking to the player.

15% of men have roleplayed a heavily lore-gendered character for vicarious euphoria or to feel more comfortable in who they are behind the screen. Cited examples include things like male human paladins like Turalyon, Night Elf or high elven rangers à la Legolas, or demon hunters in the vein of Illidan. 27.9% of men have said that it has never crossed their minds, or that they do not set out for those kinds of interactions.

11.8% of men said that the barber shop’s in-game currency gender changes impacted their virtual gender presentation. 32.5% said that it had no impact, but that they did greatly appreciate the ability to switch back and forth between the two options for transmog.

10.3% of respondents in the male category self-identified as transgender.

“When I was much younger, in wrath of the lich king and earlier, I preferred playing female characters. At the time I wasn’t transgender, so that was mostly the reason. I did notice back then, I was always treated much better on my female characters than on my male ones (I got more loot, people helping me with things, etc.). I notice that a lot less now than back then. I feel like the WoW community as a whole has become a lot better over time. It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s definitely better than it once was.”

“I used to think that my rp main was easy to get into charact for just because he was my favorite, but it turns out it was because he is my dysphoria. Playing him has allowed me to come to come to terms that I am transgender and im grateful for that.”

“I began playing WoW as a female in 2010ish- and have since aligned as a trans man (HRT & gender confirming surgeries) people certainly do not whisper me as frequently on male appearance characters. I am glad for the barbershop update allowing customizations for gold, because it allowed me to re-invent characters that I was fond of but no longer found comforting because of their female appearance alignment. I am also quite pleased that the February trading post reward was not drastically changed into pants for male characters. More male sl*t mogs! Thank you for this opportunity.”

“Roleplaying a male character and being perceived as male back in 2016-2017 made me realize that I was actually trans, because i loved being referred to with he/him pronouns!”

“I used to, and still do, feel more comfortable playing male/body 1 characters before I was out as a trans guy, to the point where friends would get angry at me for making so many. I’ve also gotten to explain trans things to people who hadn’t interacted with the community before, but otherwise I don’t have much relating to the game and my own identity.”

20.3% of respondents listed themselves as nonbinary. Inside of this umbrella includes labels such as: Genderfluid, Gender non-conforming, Bigender, Demi-gender, Agender, Transfeminine & Transmasculine (if specifically noted to be from a Nonbinary lens), those experimenting with gender, and those without preference in any direction on the gender spectrum. 12.6% of nonbinary respondents say that their gender identity matches that of their primary character in-game. 5.3% say that their gender does not match that of their primary character, or that they oscillate too often to pick.

“Many WoW players in M+ don’t understand pronouns. So ill get called sir, tell people im not a sir. Get called maam, tell them wrong again. And they get absolutely lost in the sauce.”

“WoW and Roleplay in WoW has given me the chance to explore myself and ask questions I would not be able to ask comfortably in the real world. I can ask these questions without negative or positive influence and can come to my own conclusions on what I desire to be and what I’m comfortable identifying as.”

“It used to be - back in the day - that there was skepticism when I admitted to ‘being’ female behind the screen. Now? Acknowledging that I’m nonbinary to a stranger doesn’t even earn a hint of surprise. People are learning, growing, and generally being Better.”

“Roleplay aspects /can/ be a wonderful tool to explore different expressions of gender - and to find where one lies in this chaotic mess we call life!”

“Being able to experiment with different forms of something I could percieve as my avatar helped me feel good and helped put a lot of past experiences into perspective from when I realised I was non-binary.”

“Not loot, but I do know that I am typically treated nicely when I am assumed to be female. I do not actively attempt to deceive but I will often not correct people’s assumption about my gender.”

10.3% of survey-taking nonbinary individuals answered ‘yes’ to the belief of non-verbal gender communication in MMOs (i.e through specific hairstyles & outfit choices). 2.6% of nonbinary answerers think that there is no way to communicate gender nonverbally in the game.

6.5% of nonbinary individuals do attempt to communicate gender to other players online. 3.4% say they explicitly do not do anything to convey their gender to other players.

1.9% of nonbinary players believe that the classes of WoW have an inherently gendered feeling. Classes cited in specific for these players mentioned the identity of warlocks as being ambiguous enough for them to feel comfortable. 11.4% of nonbinary respondents say that the classes have no gendered feelings at all.

5.7% of nonbinary answerers believe that some or all elements of the LFG trinity carry an inherently gendered feeling. 12% disagree and claim that there is nothing in particular that genders the roles, just the players themselves.

5% of nonbinary individuals believe that certain forms of content in the game are heavily gendered. 6% say that content has no inherent gender to it. ¼ of responders say that Yes, content is gendered, and it has put them off of trying certain forms of it.

4.9% of nonbinary answerers say that they’ve attempted to guess someone’s real life gender based off of their in-game traits (race, class, sex, etc). 14.5% say that they don’t try, citing that there are many variables and things that need to be explicitly mentioned before passing judgement onto other players.

8% of nonbinary respondents say they’ve been made to feel unwelcome somewhere because of their gender. 5% say that it hasn’t been an issue for them thusfar.

9.9% of nonbinary answerers say they’ve roleplayed a lore-gendered character for vicarious euphoria. 9% said they explicitly had not attempted to do so. Common examples for this cited are things like: Warlocks, demons, furbolgs, and roleplaying the inverse of what is expected or stereotyped.

9% of nonbinary respondents say that the introduction of the in-game currency barber shop impacted their virtual gender presentation. The ability to swap between the two available models in character creation is a commonly cited boon of the new system, and not having to pay real money to be gender-fluid is a plus. 10% of nonbinary respondents say that the barber shop had no bearing on their identity.

Six questions on this survey offered a ‘neutral’ or ‘maybe’ option.

Question 4 had 70 ‘Maybe’ responses, or 26.8% who have no concrete answer on non-verbal gender communication in WoW.

Question 5 had 93 ‘Not intentionally’ responses, or 35.6% who don’t intentionally communicate gender non-verbally to other players, but may or may not.

Question 6 had 78 ‘Maybe sometimes’ responses, or 29.8% who think that occasionally, some classes in Warcraft have a gendered feeling. The most common responses in this field were:

“Can’t deny there’s a high amount of feminine bois and women who play priest/druid/hunters. Also what’s with rogue players being twinks IRL?”,

“women play priests, men play paladins, women play druids, men play warriors (not that i ascribe to them)”

“male orc warriors or male human paladins on RP servers… are very uncomfortable to be around for one reason or another. In my opinion it has something to do with those race/class/gender combos being heavily inspired by and replicating machismo culture.”

“Western societies associates men with battle, honor, glory to an extent and those ideals get put onto classes like warrior and paladin by both players and warcraft writers.”

Question 7 had 17 ‘Maybe’ answers, or 6.5% who believe that roles of the LFG trinity (healing, tanking & DPS) could be considered gendered. The most common responses in this field were:

“Not personally, but it is a mentality that has persisted in virtual spaces.”

“Only by players, not necessarily inherently by the game.”

“I don’t believe in it, but I know it’s a common stereotype”

Question 10 had 55 ‘Not in my experience’ answers, or 21% of respondents who say that they’ve never been made to feel excluded anywhere because of their gender presentation.

Question 8 had 116 ‘Not in my experience’ answers, or 44.4% of the survey who says that content in World of Warcraft was not gendered. The most common responses in this field were:

“Only PvP”

“I think there’s a stereotype that highly competitive aspects of the game (rated PvP, competitive M+) are male dominated but I don’t have anywhere near enough experience in those areas of the game to know if it’s true or not.”

“Kind of no? I find that a lot of people of various genders roleplay, but otherwise, I feel like other content is inherently gendered masculine , maybe just because video games in general feel garnered towards men”

“whether its due to sample size or personal anecdotes i have noticed that certain activities are enjoyed predominantly by women, but both men and women do all activites (most pet battle people i know have been women or gnc)”

With the release of the Dragonflight expansion, Blizzard announced that they would be updating the character creation experience to be more inclusive. Eschewing ‘Male’ and ‘Female’ body types for Body 1 & Body 2 respectively, the move was reminiscent of other contemporary and large games such as Elden Ring, Halo Infinite, Palia, and Cyberpunk 2077.

Survey respondents were asked how or if this change impacted their player creation experience.

“Positively since blizzard was willing to acknowledge the existence of GNC people, though the character customization itself may not entirely facilitate what those people may be looking for.”

“Overall, it didn’t impact me as they’re still very “This is the male body type” and “this is the female one” unfortunately. I think if they removed gender locks for customizations (such as hair), then it’d be far more impactful.”

“I personally was unaffected. I found it a redundant change at first until I gave it some thought and realized it might make other people feel better about their choice of character in-game.”

“Positively, though more options should be available as figures and body types are different everywhere. I believe players design their character as a self image, either by how they look or how they wish to look, and having more options would create a more positive experience.”

“I reacted negatively. I support LGBT+, but still believe the differences between male and female should be acknowledged and celebrated, not hidden away and ignored.”

“I didn’t care, and personally think the people that are serious about it on both sides of the issue are a bit overreactive.”

“Negatively. I like feeling like my character is female or male and not just a “body”.”

“Not much, really. And I’d say I’m very neutral on the change, it does not make much difference to me. I’m happy for the people who are happy about it, and I think anyone complaining about it is probably being pretty dumb; it doesn’t affect me or them in any harmful way as far as I’m concerned.”

Players overall reacted mostly positive-leaning or neutral to the change. Those vocally against the changes disliked the loss of identity in their male or female characters respectively as those words held specific meaning for them.

Others vocally in support of the changes say that the loss of the male and female terminology opened up the gender dichotomy for them and paved the way to self-experimentation. Most players cited frustration with the apparent ‘pageantry’ of the changes; 42 respondents took the time to express that inclusivity would be much better afforded with new body types and not just new terminology.

“If they want to be representative of different body types along a gender spectrum, then they should bloody well give us more than two body shapes per race. Not everyone who is effeminate has breasts and wide hips, and not everyone who is masculine is jacked like they shoot test into their *ss cheek.”

“Mostly indifferent, though I would very much like to see more of a variety of body type options, even if they’re only the previous options with more or less obvious ‘bits’ pertaining to the sex/gender they’re intended on presenting with that selection.”

“I would have liked if they added body 3 option as well, which is a body 1 version with more androgynous features.”

“Until both body types can have features typically associated with the other [i.e. beards] I don’t ultimately think it means a lot. I’m happy it means more to other people though and I’m definitely glad the male-female dichotomy is TECHNICALLY gone.”

“Positively, as it implies some progressiveness, but the system is yet to be expanded beyond just renaming the same two options.”

Blizzard is no stranger to players being opinionated about the choices they’re given for cosmetics and customization.

Minor cosmetics were added in 4.2.0 (Cataclysm), such as the ‘Braided Tail’ hairstyle for female Blood Elves and ‘Sassy Tails’ hairstyle for Night Elf females.

While most people enjoyed them, the reaction from both casual players and roleplayers alike signaled something a bit different.

On a post dated May 15, 2011: “I like the orc and troll female ones. The night elves…bleh. They just look too…I dunno. If I say what I think, I’ll probably offend someone,” says wow-petopia forums user Rhyela, who self-describes as a ‘Female playing males and females’.

In Warlords of Draenor (2014) it was announced that a primary feature of the expansion was to be the retexturing and remodeling of player character models, the first major customization addition to the game since the barber shop itself in 3.0.2 (Wrath of the Lich King).

On an MMOchampion post from October 12th, 2014, user PIsForPh*ck stated: “Human female and gnome female look pretty bad though. Haven’t paid a lot of attention to the male models since I don’t have any besides 1 belf “male”.”

On a similar post from the era, two users squabble over the female Night Elf model. “Night Elf females are too popular to remake. Unless the models are upgraded versions of the original models it’s suicide for the game”, says user Garian (whose profile is now deleted). “This model would probably offend feminists though because it “objectifies women”. Blizzard should ignore them.”

A female user by the name of Celista responded back the same day. “I’m tired of the feminist bashing in these forums, there’s nothing in this model that feminists would object to. I would know since I consider myself one >.>”

External to the internet discussion surrounding these changes, the in-game ramifications of the new customization options began to unfold.

Roleplaying guilds that sported a ‘theme’ such as military, adventure, casual or entertainment (theater and food guilds) gradually began to adopt group policies regarding character customization.

“Hair that extends longer than one’s eyebrows and ears should be tied back in a knot or ponytail while on duty, but we encourage short haircuts, as they are far easier to keep clean and neat. If you have a beard or other facial hair, do not neglect it.” (Stormwind Army Field Manual, 2019).

“All personnel within the Legion must wear garb dyed in the crimson colors of the Horde, and possess a weapon that has been approved by either a Sergeant or above. In the event a soldier cannot follow this order, they must seek counsel with the Warlord in order to have their own special arms and armor become approved.” (Vol’kar Legion IC Rules, 2016).

Most guilds simply stopped at the tabard and color scheme for the sake of showing uniformity amongst members in screenshots and to create a sense of camaraderie, but some groups included more specific or niche rules in order to participate.

“Druids will be expected to remain in their kaldorei form at all times, except when their animal forms are needed. An example of this could be scouting when a bird or a cat form could be used. We are a military regiment, not a zoo.” (Nightblade Sentinels IC rules, 2017).

“Please do NOT think you can become a Sentinel with the new “anime” style haircuts for night elves. These are NOT appropriate for Sentinels. The bouncy anime hairstyles continue to make the Night Elf female characters look more and more like the cheerleaders Blizzard seem to be intent on depicting us as. Not the serious, savage defenders of Kalimdor we are.” (Moonglaive Sentinels RP basics, 2010)

Large concessions of a player’s fictional character could be made in order to ‘fit in’ to closed guild environments, down to one’s specific gender presentation and outfits. Those familiar with military-style roleplaying guilds are very acquainted with the color scheme and armor class specific ‘uniforms’ requested by the leadership of their guild, which is almost always listed on a third-party forum or website such as enjin (which now serves as a blockchain product manager website) and shivtr, which endures as a large clan and guild-site hosting service.

A special thank you to all 261 participants for your useful data, patience with my netnography and all of the fluff it entails, and my close friends for their question and data sorting suggestions. Moving in the middle of the survey (which happened to coincide with the middle of the very server-sharding Hearthstone anniversary event) made conducting everything very rocky, but with everyone’s patience we made it through.

If anyone has any useful insight to point out, errors for me to fix in my math, questions, or complaints about how uneven my graphs are (sorry sorry sorry) feel free to comment and let me know.

Bibliography will be in the first post below, especially once I can post links.<3

-xoxo, Researcher Underdesk

6 Likes

Wow! This is very interesting!

1 Like

Bibliography with all links (unfortunately) edited out. Please look them up on amazon or other sites that have their work! It’s very worth reading! Thanks again, all <3

Boellstorff, T., Nardi, B., Pearce, C., & Taylor, T. L. (2012). Ethnography and Virtual Worlds: A Handbook of Method. Princeton University Press. Ethnography-Virtual-Worlds-Handbook-Method/dp/0691149518

Foka, A. (2014). DIGITAL GENDER: A MANIFESTO. Umeå University. /smash/get/diva2:717358/FULLTEXT03.pdf

Garian, & Celista. (n.d.). MMOChampion Forum. /threads/1517310-Artcraft-Huntress-of-Teldrassil-(New-Female-Night-Elf-Model)/page106

Kunst, A. (2019). Percentage of gamers playing multiplayer online games in the United States as of December 2016. Statista. statistics/662270/share-gamers-play-mmo-games-usa-age/

Lenhart, A., Jones, S., & Macgill, A. (2008). Adults and Video Games. Pew Research Center. /internet/2008/12/07/adults-and-video-games/

Moonglaive Sentinels of Wyrmrest Accord. (n.d.). pages/RPbasics

Nardi, Bonnie. (2010). My Life as a Night Elf Priest: An Anthropological Account of World of Warcraft (Technologies Of The Imagination: New Media In Everyday Life). University of Michigan Press. /Life-Night-Elf-Priest-Anthropological/dp/0472070983

Nightblade Sentinels Rules. (2017). /rules/

PIsForPh*ck. (n.d.). MMOChampion Forum. /threads/1607491-Your-final-opinions-on-the-new-character-models/page6

Rhyela. (2011). Petopia Forums. /viewtopic.php?t=11828&start=20

Shapiro, E. (2010). Gender Circuits: Bodies and Identities in a Technological Age (Sociology Re-Wired). /Gender-Circuits-Identities-Technological-Sociology/dp/0415996961

Stormwind Army Field Manual. (n.d.). /Stormwind_Army_Field_Manual/General_Orders#Hygiene

The Vol’kar Legion. (2016). /rules/

Turkle, S. (1997). Life on the Screen: Identity in the Age of the Internet. Life-Screen-Identity-Age-Internet/dp/0684833484

WoWprogress US Realm Ranking. (n.d.). /realms/rank/us

Yee, Nick. (2005). WoW Gender-Bending. The Daedalus Project. /daedalus/archives/001369.php

1 Like

would love to see some in depth interviews with various random people on the server with more details. i think something like this is a great way to understand each other. personally i think its amazing this server has such an open and diverse group of people and noone judges anyone. its refreshing

1 Like

Very well done. Was this just for fun or a part of a larger study or requirement (senior/masters thesis, independent research course, etc)?

1 Like

It was independent research, just for fun this time! :slight_smile:

Originally when I’d set out to do the survey, I was anticipating no more than 30 responses total. The results were going to be compiled into a little zine just for myself and my friends, but as the numbers piled up it became clear that other people were very interested to see the sum of the collection as well.

I’m glad with how it came out and think the raw data will be great in a portfolio of mine if I go back to school (which this survey had made me realize I just may want to!)

Netnography and digital anthropology in general have lots of fun questions that need answers, and even more answers are needed about what happens when we move away from those virtual things.

Thanks for asking! :heart:

4 Likes

Of course and excited to see what else you might continue with. Certainly has me asking more questions and leads for further research. How to extend this to non-RP realms if we want a better understanding of the player base, the disproportionately high amount of transgender and nonbinary individuals who roleplay in WoW, particularly trans women, and what that could mean in queer and gaming communities, if there are trends in similar spaces ((FFXIV, SWOTR, ESO, etc).

Definitely consider going back to school. I think you’d have a pretty solid master’s thesis using this as its core or even dissertation using this as a major building block.

2 Likes

I appreciate all of these hypothetical questions as well, and would be fibbing if I wasn’t considering how different the data would look if I were to run it on non-roleplaying servers.

Proudmoore was a potential server option if I wanted to break away from the ‘ethical’ self-selecting approach that roleplaying add-ons provide and get a similar survey in front of non-roleplaying gamers, but I was a bit stumped on how to get it to them.

Asking in trade each day with a link to the survey and posting on their forums was the leading idea of mine, or by some graces being able to get a similar survey in front of a streamer who has a much larger audience than the in-game and online surrounding populations (which is much less likely to happen than me spending 30 days pasting a tinyurl in /2, haha).

I had plenty of people also suggest to run this survey on OTHER MMOg’s such as FFXIV, but personally speaking, I lack the background non-verbal communication and stereotypes of that game from all of my years playing only WoW (and a bit of Guild Wars 2).

ESO, FFXIV, SWTOR & other smaller MMOs (such as City of Heroes) were all recommended as areas of interest for something similar.

I would overwhelmingly encourage anyone who is familiar with the culture in those places to go forth and survey, or I’ll be keeping it in my back pocket for my inevitable run-in with academia. :wink:

4 Likes

Count me in the 6.5%

1 Like

A rather interesting study, However I am curious if you are willing to try and replicate it during the next surge in player population which will probably be around the time of war withins release.

It’s deeply interesting to see a study like this that is gone into great detail, but I can’t help but feel that much of the participation is strictly limited to role playing servers which I would consider a very entrenched playerbase.

Do you have the resources in manpower to recreate this come the expansions release and across multiple high pop servers?

I’m genuinely quite interested to see the opinions of higher rated pve and pvp servers, and perhaps even non-us/non-eu opinions.

2 Likes

This study is amazing and thank you so much for conducting it and sharing the results. Only thing I wish is that the sample size was larger, but that’s the case with any broad survey. Still very useful and intriguing data, regardless.

More importantly, this made me actually lol

1 Like

I still lurk the forums here and there, and glad I ran across this.

This is a fantastic study, especially with the literature review aspect and previous surveys.

I think it could help with the validity of immediately stating any assumptions or limitations of the data gathering. For example, if there was a sample population that was 95% of the respondents on a Role-Playing server vs. a PVP server, it’d be interesting to see if the same gender dynamics push through.

1 Like

Thanks for your question! I really appreciate hearing back from folks about it and all of the great ideas presented.

A few considerations come with conducting the survey on non-RP servers; the first being that there is no way for ‘self-selection’ to happen the way it does when people voluntarily enter the survey link from the TRP addon itself.

In the early stages of the survey (before I even decided to fully conduct it on MG & WrA respectively), I toyed around with pasting the link in Proudmoore trade chat due to the generally LGBT+ friendly nature of the server through the years.

The general response to it was initial confusion, such as players saying things like ‘sus’ (which I totally get-- it’s not every day you have someone asking you these kinds of questions!) but a few responses were received there (and for the sake of keeping it honest with my answers, omitted for reasons of the gender survey in specific, even if their data was interesting!)

I would be interested in trying again after content surges for TWW & have considered expanding to places like Stormrage, Tichondrius, Area 52, and other high population servers that offer more than RP or any distinct correlation to the LGBT+ community as a whole. Making sure my questions are up to par in not being too annoying or invasive to answer is a good compromise for the ‘self-selecting’ bit in order to keep it as decent of an experience as I can give as a researcher.

Perhaps after the launch of the next expac, you’ll see me posted up there with my pink getup and umbrella amongst the Earthen Dwarves. :grin:

PS: EU has also been considered! I would love to do surveys similar there or get in touch with someone who would be interested in conducting similar research ‘across the pond’. I’ve heard tales of the vibrant roleplaying scene over there and can only imagine that similar participation would be found (if not through the form, then conversation.)