War of the Thorns killed the Warcraft franchise

Night Elves are one of my favorite fantasy races, so I’ve stuck around to see their lore. I don’t mind when things go badly for them - I bought the A Good War / Elegy book off of eBay (I didn’t want to pay Blizzard for the rest of the BfA collector’s edition) and was able to get Exploring Azeroth: Kalimdor for free (literally $0) from a crazy Amazon deal, and even own the The World of Warcraft Pop-Up Book that has a full pull out of Teldrassil burning - as long as there are good things for the Night Elves and they are shown recovering from the hits they took like is possible to level through from all of the Night Elf involved zones that were redone in Cataclysm (Teldrassil, Darkshore, Ashenvale, [a little less so in] Stonetalon Mountains, Feralas, Felwood, Mount Hyjal, the Molten Front and Firelands), or Val’sharah and cleansing the Emerald Nightmare in Legion.

That last caveat has been harder and harder to see, though. I still love “Terror of Darkshore” and I’m glad canonically the Night Elves won the Darkshore Warfront. I’m glad Alliance side we got playable Dark Ranger Night Elves after the fiasco of the Jailer’s Val’kyr raising them. I am glad we got to save so many of the Night Elf souls, including named ones, from Torghast and the Maw.

But I’m getting tired. Tired from some of the Night Elf souls in Torghast getting amalgamed and having to be obliterated. Tired from Ursoc being seemingly killed off for the pathos of a new character that (I’m glad we) also got killed off. Tired from the Park getting burned down and left unrestored for years only to be turned into a second monument for Varian. Tired from the Night Elves being shuffled off into a Stormwind bumpkin patch.

… So really what’s keeping me here is making alts and dressing them up in transmogs and figuring out which titles and mounts and pets would match best with them.

9 Likes