War mode should include a reputation boost

War mode currently rewards you with more war resources, gold, and artifact power for completing world quests.

This is nice but the issue with these rewards is they have a decreasing level of impact as you gear up a toon.

Gold? There isn’t even a ton of things to spend it on (Besides cosmetics) so most of it just sits in your pocket anyways. Making gaining a little bit more inconsequential.

Artifact power? This did have a sizable impact closer to the start of this expansion but now that you get boosted to 50 just by following quest lines it really does not mean that much.

War Resources? These stack so naturally without the increase that it isn’t even worth noting the difference between war mode and care bear land.

So why not give those who valiantly fight for their faction something that has less diminishing returns? Why not reputation? Maybe even make it reputation gains overall and not just from world questions?

Reputation feels like something that directly correlates to your prowess as a hero of your faction so why wouldn’t your reputation go up faster by actually fighting those of the opposing one?

Tbh war mode does not need anything. Nothing they add to it will be beneficial to me at this point really. Except maybe marks of Ny’alotha.

All that really detracts from the whole purpose of warmode though.

4 Likes

I can see some purpose to it though. Such as gaining reputation in older content, grinding extra emisarry cache’s and etc. It would at least add a little more incentive for warmode after you have min maxed your toon.

Given the original purpose of the 10% war mode bonus was to compensate for the extra time to achieve goals in war mode, applying it to reputation does make sense.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly.

Warmode should award 50% bonus honor and that’s it. No more bribing players to turn it on for 45 mins a week.

This I think would provide incentive to be in warmode throughout. If all reputation gains were boosted then every quest done, every daily, every world quest, essentially everything you do that earns reputation would gain a rep bonus.

1 Like

I agree that WM should not include any bonuses. If only people who wanted to WPvP were in the WPvP mode, then perhaps a lot of QQ would stop, but instead people compelled to play with WM on to maximize their time when they really can’t handle WPvP

People are not compelled to do anything. They are given incentive but not compelled.

I don’t understand what the purpose of War Mode would be (outside pvp dailies) if there was no rewards for being in it.

The difference between war mode and old pvp oriented servers was there was no opt out before. As long as there is an opt out to war mode it needs incentive or it just won’t work.

I left out the word “feel.” My bad. People “feel compelled” because of the bonus.

To gank people. It’s fun on its own.

Yes and I’m on record for saying things should go back to how they were. My realm was particularly balanced and active for WPvP between the factions, and it was killed by the change to the WM/sharding system.

Feeling compelled is vastly different from actually being compelled. In the end the decision is their’s.

I prefer the random encounter aspect of WPvP. Ganking is not why I play in war mode. If all war mode was is a means of just ganking people I would not find it worth being in.

I prefer war mode for one huge reason. The large majority of my friends were in care bear land before. Forcing me to choose between being in a guild and hanging with my friends or playing in a pvp realm.

I chose the former and as a result only organized pvp was an option. What war mode has done for me is given me the chance to introduce my friends one at a time to WPvP. When this expansion started I was about the only one who turned war mode on and never looked back.

At the end of the expansion I have converted most of them to the fun that is WPvP. War mode continues to be a great tool for me to introduce new guild mates and friends to WPvP.

It really needs to stay. It has been overall a godsend. My only qualm with it now is that there is no incentive to STAY in it for anything other then world quests. If you popped reputation as a whole as a boost then people could rep grind both current and old content and give them an incentive to do so in war mode.

I’m sorry your realm was harmed by it but honestly what you had was rare and did not reflect the overall balance of WPvP in all realms.

Yes and no. In terms of how people behave, they are the same.

Good for you. I like it when players try to gank me, and then I :poop: on them. Or when I see a group of players killing an ally and jump in to wipe them. Many different scenarios are why I play in WM, and none of them ever required any additional bonus.

And things are oh so balanced now. That’s why we’re talking about what else needs to be added as a bonus to get people to WM, right?

To WPvP. You know, one of the original reasons to be flagged or to choose a PvP realm?

Never claimed anything of the sort. Clearly War Mode is a new thing that needs work but I earnestly believe that once it has received a little more polish it will be considered by more people as superior to the old realm system.

I already find it better simply because I am able to WPvP now. Any WPvP is better then none. Now I just think it needs to be improved upon to make it better for more people. I think adding reputation gains is a step in that direction.

My point is when given the option to WPvP or to go to care bear land the first question that enters many peoples minds is “What is to be gained?” Since war mode is not a one time decision like choosing a PvP or optional PvP realm and is a constant question it results in people turning it off when there is no gain to be had.

That is the difference between the two and we both know this. People are far less likely to leave war mode on because it is now an option rather then a life time choice for a character.

The only two options to solve this are to revert like you suggest (which I think is the wrong direction) or to improve (which I think is the better option) the reasons for staying in war mode.

Fair enough. The choice between the options (definitely more than two) is ultimately where we disagree. I used to have such good times encountering the same people in WPvP on my realm, building teams and rivalries. People were there because they wanted to fight and run and fight some more, not for any bonuses. I doubt that is ever coming back, but I’m glad people are thinking about and discussing how to improve the game.

PS I like your xmog

1 Like

This is certainly an amazing part of Old PvP that I miss too. However, I have seen some of the same people at least in my battle group/shard (w/e they call it now).

It is not quite the same but I think with some adjustments we could perhaps regain more of that. Like an algorithm that matches horde dominated realms to that of alliance dominated realms.

Thanks!

Do people stick around on your shards? I have often seen 2-3 Horde ganging up on a lone Alliance player and can think of maybe three times where the person I tried to help didn’t run away and leave me to deal with what was their problem :pleading_face:

I think that’s optimistic. Heck, half the QQ about war mode comes from people who want to use their superior gear to destroy people, and are just upset that skill can occasionally overcome their gear.

From what I can tell it is hit or miss but I do know one thing. We have some epic fights during assaults and Nazjatar is often very competitive.