War mode is just a glorified PvE server

Yea, I think the worse I ever saw was when phase 2 released and I went to SM and there were easily 10x as many Alliance standing outside SM entrances than Horde and you had to be very careful walking around so you didn’t accidentally click and auto-attack someone.

Most people’s complaints about War Mode in retail seem to stem from there just not being many people with it on for them to play with, but that’s not the fault of the mode, there’s just no interest in turning it on currently (outside of a XP bonus for doing PvE in WM), which Blizzard could improve by adding more PvP content exclusively to War Mode so they’d have real WPvP to do.

1 Like

I always found it weird that most of the PvPers in WoW seemingly prefer Classic.

Despite retail having all the quality of life, and more stuff to do.

I understand why, ultimately the gameplay is simpler. There’s over a decade of catch-up in terms of what you need to know.

It just sucks for those of us that enjoy retail PvP, idk if there’s a way to revive the scene really.

It’s strange. Like, imagine if all the raiders preferred Classic/Era instead and Retail PvE was dead, that’s how it feels for PvP.

False. You can turn off WM in any rested area. You need to be in your capital city to turn it on or back on.

Also, characters must be level 20 to activate WM.

I think its because largely, PVP in retail doesnt get updated.

If the flip was reverse (constant PVP updates, rare PVE updates) I could see that situation happening.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen a balanced shard since early BFA. I remember the state of PVP being in shambles during the N’Zoth zone stuff.

For outdoor World PvP, this is probably true.

However PvP was the second most popular activity in this Blizzard Poll a little while back (during Dragonflight), so I think they still want to invest in it, but TWW seems like it will be focused on a new BattleGround and making BGs the focus over Arenas… World PvP didn’t even make it to the “let’s mention that” list during the recent WoWcast, so you might be in a minority thinking World PvP is important (at least in the devs’ eyes).

It’s true, though.

There’s been a lot of PvP discussion lately.

And a big point that was brought up, was that WoW devs basically stopped investing resources into it, and doubled down into PvE instead.

PvP games just blow WoW’s PvP out of the water, and it’s hard for Blizzard to compete with WoW.

In Cataclysm, League of Legends came out and basically killed the PvP scene, most players went over to play that instead.

It reminds me of how WoW killed many MMOs that came before it because it provided what they could, but better.

And looking back, cutting out PvP was probably the right move. Any PvP-focused implementation they’ve done is met with mixed reviews.

If they can’t make those folks happy, they likely aren’t going to keep trying.

1 Like

The thing is, those polls are horribly skewed to the point of not being able to trust them.

Polls on the forums tend to let you vote multiple times, but then break up things in categories inconsistently.

It broke up every aspect of PVE, but kept PVP in one group.

M+, Raiding, Open world questing for DF should be one group.

All Classic PVE elements should be one group.

Or…DF PVP gets broken up into open world pvp, arena pvp, bg pvp, etc

40% DF PVE
35% Classiv PVE
19% DF PVP
5% Classic PVP

2 Likes

Balancing in war mode is way worse. It’s terrible

Yea, I think they really improved the retail PvP gearing in Dragonflight too, but hardly anyone does it so it goes mostly unnoticed. Most people I used to do BGs with don’t play WoW anymore or don’t PvP anymore so I don’t bother with it much either.

BG Blitz was also a really cool addition in Dragonflight, but hardly anyone has probably even tried it since it was added to DF after season 1 where most people had left already.

Ah, I hardly ever use it anymore so I didn’t remember it that way. I still would say that’s not “on a whim” though. You have to leave where you are to turn it off. IE: if you’re getting ganked and want to turn it off you have to leave to turn it off.

When they first added War Mode I think faction balance in shards was usually terrible, but then they improved it at some point so you were either in a faction balanced shard, or an overflow shard and essentially by yourself or mostly just with your faction.

I’d imagine over time with fewer people bothering to use it that it becomes harder to find enough people to try to faction-balance a shard with now. If they could get more people to turn it on it might work better.

If world PvP was actually fun and popular war mode wouldn’t be a barren wasteland.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right.

I love it

Imagine a mad max style zone where you could even partially loot others of certain pvp items. You could build traps, get beasts on your side, and build forward bases and put up mounted weapons on it.

Imo pvp in the world is too zerg minded only atm. This mmo hasn’t evolved pvp much if at all since BfA.

Then why are the most populated servers in SoD pvp servers?

And classic. And probably cata when it comes out

Most people clearly state when something is wm on in group finder. It’s really that simple.

What i don’t get was why it was such a problem that pvpers had their own server. If you’re a pveer, you’re not affected by my choices, where I choose to personally contain myself in a pvp server I chose of my free will.
Yet the mere idea of us having a choice, that doesn’t even affect them, triggers them.

I don’t care much for ganking and griefing but I still played on a PvP server in SoD because some of my friends wanted to and I’ve mostly played on PvP servers since 2004.

PvP servers throughout WoW’s history typically are also the best PvE servers. Many people choose them because they end up being higher pop servers and have better content accessibility. The vast majority of them also became one-sided eventually.

SoD is the first time they’ve tried the faction locking system to try to force faction balance more aggressively. I think over time it would also fail, but it’s a temporary seasonal mode, so it doesn’t have to work long-term.

Then why arent people in warmode?

1 Like

Why do PvP servers always turn into horribly unbalanced 1 faction dominated servers that are basically PvE eventually?

1 Like

pvp is dead. Go quietly into the night.