Wanting to be hated

It’s inescapable these days. People will want to cram their politics down your throat no matter where you are.

2 Likes

It is particularly disheartening when I am accused on the basis of my faith.

It’s not like I don’t understand though. Symbols of my faith have been adopted by white supremist and racist. My culture has been appropriated by hate groups, and unfortunately, I think more people recognize is for that aspect more than what it actually represents.

I am not the only person with the problem. Of course Muslims are associated with their own hate groups unjustly. You can apply this to anyone of a particular group, be it ethnic or religious or political. People don’t exist in these monolithic boxes. Unfortunately, it seems to be becoming more and more prevalent, both from hate groups and people who claim to be fighting for social justice, to box people in and judge them on the basis of stereotypes.

1 Like

Racism is as old as civilization, just because some are morons, and have always been, doesn’t mean you have to deal with it all the time, it’s just ridiculous.

1 Like

Heathenry and Neopaganism has had no laws outlawing it in the US since the New Age revival.

In the US, African Diasporic Religions were allowed to be illegal via selective legislation until 1993, and various Amerindigenous religions were illegal until via the same until 1978.

2 Likes

that should be unconstitutional, and I am against any kind of Religious suppression and persecution.

This also isn’t a contest. Making assumptions of people on the basis of their faith is ignorant and bigoted. You are the only person here who has done such in this thread.

2 Likes

I do, namely exactly when religions try to break the other fundamental rights and they are sects, with inhuman customs and rituals.

Could you name some?

The oppression Olympics in it’s purest form. “Your people didn’t suffer as bad as my people therefore you are racist.”

4 Likes

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/article/native-americans-and-freedom-religion/

https://www.facinghistory.org/stolen-lives-indigenous-peoples-canada-and-indian-residential-schools/historical-background/banning-indigenous-culture

Not until 1951 did an amendment to the Indian Act remove sections that restricted customs and culture.

Checks out. 1978 in the USA. 1951 in Canada. That it happened at all is horrible, but I would’ve thought those sorts of notions of religious/cultural persecution would have been pushed aside much earlier into either country’s history.

Looked up the bit about African Diasporic Religions being illegal until 1993, and found

Not long after the Coptic Church’s [illegal substance] cases made headline news, another controversy surrounding an African Caribbean religion began in Southern Florida. In 1987, the Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye, members of a faith alternately referred to as Regla de Ocha, Lukumi, and (some argue disparagingly) Santeria, announced their plans to open a place of worship, school, and cultural center in the City of Hialeah. The City Council of Hialeah passed several resolutions restricting the ritual of slaughter of animals in hopes that banning a central practice of the faith would prevent the Church from opening its facility. The Church filed suit contesting these laws on several grounds; central among these, of course, was that their religious freedom had been violated. Six years of litigation followed, with the lower courts upholding the city ordinances banning animal sacrifice. However, in 1993, the U.S. Supreme Court found in favor of the Church, determining that the City Council had violated their religious freedom by specifically targeting the religion through ordinances proscribing animal sacrifice.

Forums won’t allow mention of a particular plant.

3 Likes

Err no, this applies to when two groups suffered during the same time period, eg Black vs Indigenous peoples

Euro Pagans have faced zero institutional discrimination by a government since the 10th century.

1 Like

Doesn’t make Euro Pagans de facto racists.

Edit: Also this is still happening to this day. And Aki’s faith isn’t the only one that suffers from it but you’d probably dismiss those people as well.

4 Likes

“Err no, but actually, yes.” -Baal

1 Like

I would also say, just because persecution isn’t systemic, doesn’t mean it’s not taking place.

But I don’t want to make this a contest. The fact that any religious persecution is taking place is horrendous, and should be condemned.

Baal just isn’t interested in real social justice, or what is right. He just wants victim points. Once again, the title of this thread is relevant.

1 Like

He reads like every social slacktivist on Twitter.

3 Likes

Nope but if you’re insisting the meta narrative of the Amerindigenous and African in-game representations has no problematic implications at all, especially when it comes to how the narrative disempowers them as individuals and their religion, it’s a yikes from me.

WHAT?! Do you really think that??? WTF? The European pagans were Hunted down, they were forced to be christ. Many pagan sacred places were changed into a churge or destroyed. I mean, yeah, your right, not institutional discrimination, more a institutional annihilation of this culture through Christians

Christianization was rarely peaceful. Poland surrendered at that time by marriage and joined the religion. (10th Century)

Hungary was forcibly Christianized in the 10th and 11th centuries, The peoples of the Baltic, the Prussians, Latvians and other Baltic tribes, as well as the Estonians and the Wends were not forcibly Christianized until the 10th to 13th centuries in the course of the German settlement in the East, although the Grand Duchy of Lithuania could not be conquered and did not convert to Christianity until the end of the 14th century.

4 Likes

Eh if you think about not really. Catholicism was viewed as a national threat even when Kennedy was running. Got the “Muslim Ban” today and since 2001 on and off. Rosaries are forbidden in many highschool in the south still, I myself having got detention for it.

All the examples you gave occur before the modern period and you yourself attribute most of them to around the 10th century.

It rather proves that your argument: It ended in the 10th century is simply not true. It continued, the Christianization tried everything to stop the worship of pagan idols in the name of the one true God. Either old places were destroyed, or changed, pagan were killed and have even no rights as citizen, they were vogelfrei, outlaws by definition, because they were pagan.

A few highlights in the 8-9th Century for example?

A few highlights of laws against european pagans:

1. whoever wants to remain a pagan and hides among the Saxons so as not to be baptized or refuses to be baptized shall die.
  2. whoever offers vows according to pagan custom at springs, trees or groves, or sacrifices according to pagan custom and holds a communal feast in honor of idols, shall pay as a noble 60, as a friling 30, as a late 15 sol. And if he does not have the money, he shall work it off in the service of the church.
1 Like

Whatever god you kneel to forbid that someone just want to check out and enjoy a fantasy game and some escapism from reality for a few hours. We must soapbox the injustices of video games taking inspiration from real world cultures and then doing what they want with their own creation.

If you don’t like it don’t play it. Vote with your wallet.

1 Like

I’m just gonna dump this link here 'cause I don’t have the energy to read through it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_trials_in_the_early_modern_period

Whether or not it’s relevant to the topic at hand is for everyone else to decide.
https://media.tenor.com/images/584e2be18f40b8f8b7119bfe5dbb98b4/tenor.gif

2 Likes