Wanting to be hated

Lol, except it’s simply not correct to refer the “Victorian Era” outside the commonwealth. England was influential, for sure, but the industrial revolution is not uniquely English. It is not a cultural staple.

Hey, y’all started it.

False. It started in Britan, but it was most prevalent in the United States. Completely reshaping the US from a agrarian society to an urbanized one. By the end of it, the US was the most industrialized nation in the world.

It has nothing to do with race, you just can’t go back in time and change history. Baal wants to say that Generic fantasy is Euro-centric, but deny that the cultural significance has been watered down over the decades into something barely recognizable.

The only reason I can assume he would want this is because he wants to maintain the narrative that the European coded race oppresses the indigenous coded race. If you challenge that idea in anyway, you must be a racist.

Title of the thread is relevant here.

2 Likes

Heavens forbid people use games for what they’re intended for. An escape from reality.

Condemn every being who has not dove deep into the real world implications of what it truly means to… Flips through notes… Kill Quilboars or something.

4 Likes

Me, an Asian who lived in various parts of Asia his whole life save recently, looking at everyone debate about western civilizations :
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t follow. Can you explain?

Ok, well “Lol,” I never said the industrial revolution was uniquely English.

I said it was most prevalent in England, and that the Victorian Era was named for England’s monarch (which it was).

England was quite literally the British Empire during the Victorian Era (hence the name), circa 1860-1903. This is basic history.

Yes, that’s very mature.

What I said is not false because again: England was literally a global empire at the time, having colonies in:

• India
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Africa

Isn’t that what you’re doing by denying the fact that the industrialization of the late 1800s - early 1900s was primarily British, because they were a global empire at the time?

Which I would agree with; Lord of the Rings is probably the best example here.
As for it being “watered down into something barely recognizable,” again:

• Do you really not see African influences in Zandalar?
  • Do you really not see Native American culture with the Tauren?
  • Do you really not see any aspects of Ancient Greece and Celtic Nature/Moon worship with the Kaldorei?

Funny enough, the events of the original Warcraft era actually fit this narrative, so…

To be fair, I’m not going to pretend that I approve of Baal tossing the word “racist around.”

I think the title is appropriately thought-and-discussion-provoking, but I would strongly disagree with the assumption/claim that anyone genuinely wants to be hated.

1 Like

LLAMAS ARE FIERCE

3 Likes

But not as friendly as alpacas! :point_up::smiley:

Dolly and Dot are my best friends,
they pull my wagon through dunes of sand!
They have small teeth,
and they love to eat,
they’re the best alpacas in the all the land!

3 Likes

https://giphy.com/gifs/vice-spain-5D7DStqhbymFW

:pancakes:

7 Likes

Oddly enough, I got attacked (well my car did) by a trio of ostriches once at Lion Country Safari (it was one of those drive-through zoo places).

They sent one to distract me at the driver’s side window… while our attention was distracted, a pair rapidly approached from the passenger side, once we noticed them it was too late, one moved to box me in in front, and the other stayed on the side.

The car behind had a pair of folks laughing hysterically as the front Ostrich pecked at my windshield and grabbed my wiper blades.

Later, in revenge, I bought an ostrich egg and tried to make a giant amount of scrambled eggs. Turns out one ostrich egg is something like 25 normal eggs. So I ended up basically with a lot of it going down the sink.

The point is that ostriches are terrible and not to be trusted, and also that if you choose to take revenge on them make sure you have a lot of room on your stove. Or make quiche or something.

5 Likes

Even if death they find ways to torment you!

Evil forest striders!

4 Likes

That made me chuckle :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I had to deal with the SDF (Sylvanas Defense Force) for a nigh-on a decade. And it’s still ongoing, looks like.
You can learn to cope with Night Elf posters.

1 Like

Eh, doesn’t have the same ring to it as NEFPA. Maybe the Sylvanas Simp Network (SSN)?

1 Like

Too easily conflated with Social Security Number.

To me, NEFPA is clunky. Sure, you can verbalize it in two syllables, but it’s 5 letters.

Teldrassil Revenge Poster? No, TRP is something else.
NERP. Night Elf Revenge Poster? I’d be fine with being called a NERP.

Edit: PURPLE NERPS

4 Likes

Perfect. They’re both just as bankrupt? :rofl:

2 Likes

She will either say she doesn’t or that it doesn’t mean anything, once again conflating and refusing to recognize the difference between Representation and something being Representative, which I’ve explained like three times in this thread to varying degrees of complexity.

One tried to eat my favorite mochila arhuaca one time :sob:

Of course not, they build giant golden solar-powered mecha-condors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ki99YBVKyw

2 Likes

You sure about that?

Because you seem to think the industrialization of Gilneas makes them uniquely Victorian inspired.

I am not saying that is not the case, but I am pointing out that you have an inability distinguishing culture from aesthetic, or in this case, economic structure.

Industrialization might impact the culture of a an area and it’s people, but industrialization isn’t itself a cultural staple. Are gnomes suddenly Victorian inspired because they are heavily industrialized?

No. And that is why I find most of your arguments unconvincing. Keyword is most, you have made some good points.

I am not all that concerned with your opinion of me.

And yet, the Industrial revolution was most prevalent in the US.

So what you said is, in fact, false.

No because it wasn’t. As I already outlined for you. I am not trying to rewrite history, you are just wrong.

I am talking about Stormwind specifically. I have already said that the cultural influence in the Zandalari and others is more authentic because it is newer and has not yet been watered down by decades of commercialization. Anything that was uniquely European in generic fantasy no longer holds the same cultural significance.

It would be like if the Troll’s Loa Worship had been completely stripped of it’s cultural flavor. Like if Bwonsamdei was a generic Grim Reaper. Like if Trolls prayed to Loa with zero emphasis on the rituals or bargaining that comes with it.

Every playable races has oppressed and displaced another race on Azeroth. It is almost as if War is the central conflict in Warcraft.

I would hope not.

I think Baal has made it clear that he does.

1 Like

Don’t forget Uther too.

2 Likes

Have you actually noticed, since certain people are here, the discussion is shifted more and more on Rl culture and in the direction of racism debates…that is in the long run simply harmful, if one must constantly deal with such accusations…

2 Likes