Waiting for new Druid races

I like the dual nature of the Druid class, with there master of none style. But I have always been into playing the short races. Once they open up Druid like they did for warlocks what race of new Druids does everyone think will pop up? I personally want a dwarf or mechagnome Druid.

3 Likes

Wildhammer Dwarf and Blood Elf is my go to when Druids open up!.

2 Likes

undead durid

1 Like

Wildhammer Dwarf, Blood Elf and Night Borne for me.

I still don’t understand how the NB came out without a druid when a large part of their campaign in Suramar was the Arcandor and the balance between the nature and the arcane.

4 Likes

Undead and blood elf for horde, human and gnome for alliance.

But I won’t lie, once they open up shaman, pally and druid I’m really going to need Blizz to be forgiving of altaholics and bump our cap again lol. Too many dream race-class combos left in those three to squeeze into the last few spaces on my account.

1 Like

So I know they stated that they are moving towards an “all classes for all races” thing but I’ll be honest with saying that I really don’t feel that some races should get all classes, especially for something like druid which is so tied to natural life, the balance, and the moon.

Races that definitely have STRONG potential to be druids imo:

Humans-technically already existing lorewise with Celestine in the worgen starting area, plus human’s are the most adaptable and versatile race with the widest range of mindsets, I think druids would totally make sense here.

Dwarves- I think it would make sense for dwarves to be druids as many have shown themselves to be preservationists and the races deep appreciation for the world (if not always technically nature itself)

Pandaren- Pandaren (like Tauren and Night Elves) are a race I feel has a great potential to be druids, and sometimes I feel like the only reason they can’t already be druids is that the monk class was such a large part of their reveal that blizz didn’t want another druid class to chip away at that.

Races that have some potential to be druids:

Blood Elves- As a race they are magic aficionados, who have been humbled due to their hunger and dependence on arcane magic, then later consumed fel magic and the light. Lorewise they’re a society which has strong themes of eagerness for magical knowledge so I could see them trying to learn from their Horde allies among the Tauren and Troll druids who’s power they have come to respect by now. Also I would really like an updated model Lynx feral form.

Dark Iron Dwarves- I think it’s important to note the cultural distinction between them and regular dwarves. For most of their history in WoW the Dark Iron were antagonists subjugated under a dark power, and only recently under the leadership of Moira Thaurissan has this changed, just looking at them I get the sense they are too tainted by primal fire magics to be druids. But fire druids do exist, and with last patch’s events and everything I believe it’s possible for DI Dwarves to be druids.

Orcs/Mag’har Orcs- Orcs are moving back towards their shamanistic roots and maybe some younger orcs will move towards a more naturalistic path. My only issue here is that the worship or veneration of elune in some way is part of druidism, even if it is a minor part. But that can be ignored for the most part as it seems that aside from spell names only the Night Elves and very tangentially the Tauren do any Elune worshipping, with the other races all getting the power to be a druid from other sources, no reason Orcs can’t do the same I suppose.

Draenai- Arcane crystal mechanics and light users are what I think of when the tentacled goat people come to mind. But they are the longest lived playable race in WoW by a longshot, so surely they are starting to get curious about this world and its magics that they’ve spent the last few decades immersed in. I could see a few draenai curious about these new magics. Again, like the orcs, however I see there being a disconnect when it comes to Elune given how staunch the draenai are in their naaru-worship as well as how against the insinuation Tyrande was when it was suggested Elune was a naaru. But if that transformative power over nature somehow came from the light, I’m sure the draenai would be down.

Vulpera- Aside from being cute little fox people, they are also staunch survivalists who live in a desert wasteland which is still a form of nature. I think they would be very interested as a race in learning a magic that allows them to literally summon up plants to rejuvenate a desert area.

Races that have little to zero potential to be druids imo:

Undead- They’re literally dead and decaying. Druidism is about life. I just don’t see this.

Gnomes- Being such a technologically-focused race, I cannot see them being druids.

Mechagnomes- A majority of their biology is mechanical, and as a species they are highly unnatural, not in a bad sense, but in that they are not a species that would live as on with nature, and as such cannot be druids.

Goblins- Like gnomes, goblins are also very technologically focused, but more than anything goblins are highly transactional by nature. “Time is money, friend!” I don’t see that translating well into a druidic mindset. Some might argue that given that they are capable of shamanism, they should also be capable of druidism, but goblin shamanism is highly transactional, and I believe there is a quest somewhere in cata where this is demonstrated.

Void Elves- Void magic seems to be the absence of life, so I think it would be odd to have the representative race of that magic capable of being druids.

Lightforged Draenai-Like regular goat dudes, these guys are light worshippers, but it seems like they’re much more zealous and I get the sense that they would vehemently reject anything that is a departure from the light. (Which don’t even get me started on a what dumb thing it was to let them be warlocks, draenai devolve into Broken when exposed to Fel that has been a fact since TBC yet they just handwaved that away.)

Nightborne- An argument could be made that Nightborne are on the same level of potential open-mindedness as Blood Elves but I don’t really feel like that is the case. The distinction to me is that though Blood Elf society was built with magic they have a more utilitarian mindset rather than the sheer ardor Nightborne have for magic, such that it is infused in every single thing they do. I don’t feel that they’d work as druids lorewise but that is just my opinion and I’d be glad to see a return of manasaber catform and a purple runebear form would be super cool.

1 Like

You forgot Mechagnomes…they are the natural origin of druids!

Mechagnomes are from a time before the Curse of Flesh, and hence had robotic bodies that could easily transform into various forms depending on the situation.

3 Likes

Have been praying for years for a Gnome druid. Ill accept mechagnome or Blood Elf. But Gnome Druid is where my heart is.

1 Like

Blood Elf and Panda have been cried for for years. lol

Orrrrr people could not be basic and do Dark Iron Druid lol.

Druid will be dead last. Having to do extra art work for all the forms will make Druid be the very last class that gets opened up more.

Sucks. I’d love a Vulpera druid if their racials didn’t suck.

1 Like

there was so much crying when they did warlocks so any hope we have of this happening before the end of the world soul saga was probably killed with that. i wish it would happen sooner. i got toons just holding names for me

A kul tiran demon hunter would be both cool and funny. But I would still pick either a gnome or muloc demon hunter.

I think it has less to do with feedback about one class (since they already announced plans to do so and have also had positive feedback) and more to do with the fact that the remaining classes all require art. Paladins require unique mounts, shamans have totems unique to their race, and druids have different forms. If they also do demon hunters, while those don’t require different art it does require some editing of what would be wonky animations for some abilities.

I genuinely don’t think it’s a feedback issue because of the responses to Plunderstorm. There has been more outcry about that than I saw about the warlocks, but Blizz hasn’t addressed any feedback (positive or negative) and is pushing merch and a tournament. Of course, there are differences (Blizz planned the merch and tournament in advance, they’ve already invested in this being a hit so they need it to be successful) but there’s something about the lack of acknowledgement towards the feedback here that makes me think that feedback isn’t an issue for the race/class combos.

unlike plunderstorm the outcry could be used as a excuse to push back the work to do at a later time cause they might not want to do it even though it was announced. i already knew druids would be last even though this patch was the perfect time to add them. im expecting pallys>shammy>druid considering the work needed for them

I actually waited until Cata to make a druid. Playing Ali at the time, and I didn’t and still don’t like nelfs.

I think they all should be, and stereotyping races is bad for gaming and self identity. I remember when a lot of MMO’s used to restrict your class based on gender. That was just as bad. A good MMO should give you the tools to create your own backstory. If you wanna be an Orc who was raised by druids then you should have every right to roleplay that fantasy for yourself. Blizzard’s job should be to give you the tools.

That being said, the Celestine’s for humans. Humans are notoriously bad at life magic. The gilnean harvest witches who became Worgen did not have any druidic abilities like shapeshifting. All they could do was use their magic to keep crops healthy and accelerate their growth a bit. When they were bitten by the Worgen curse, their connection to Goldrinn a wild god increased and amplified their druidic abilities.

I still think they should get druids though.

1 Like