Volcoross Raid Boss Pause (M3 Max)

Now let me make sure to say this isn’t a deal breaker, this thing runs amazing now most of the time even during the heavy fighting.

But in the new raid volcoross when he does his fiery “burst” thing there’s a brief delay and then it’s fine again; like a jerk. I am not sure what causes it but was wondering if anyone would know how to avoid it or perhaps get around it with a setting or whatever?

Thanks ahead of time :slight_smile:

First i’d make sure no addon or weak aura is causing issue

Besides that, it could just be a thermal throttling hitch. Only way to know though is to try some fan control software to see if it eliminates it. Another issue recently kept getting something similar on smolderon and as soon as they increased fan speed it entirely went away.

I also have no issues on my M3 Max but i also run fan control software.

Thanks. Definitely isn’t a throttling issue as it just happens on a particular point in the fight, and that’s it. My temps are around 50ish at that point during the fight. I used to throttle on Smolderon sometimes but not anymore since I took your advice and used the fan software.

Will check it out without some of my admins as that might actually be the issue.
Do you run the raid WA packages at all or big wigs at all? I tried it without the WA and it definitely seemed less but there was still a small pause as that ability came out but definitely not as bad. Will try it next time without bigwigs.

And it might be another addon as well so might try turning off some of my other ones and giving it a go.

I basically just use DBM, plater, shadowed unit frames, and skada in raids. I don’t even use weak auras in raids cause I find them redundant when DBM or BW is perfectly fine by itself, at least for me.

I try to avoid details since it does more than I need and is resource heavy. I’d also turn auction addons, all the things, and any other high memory addon off while raiding, as having a high memory heap causes garbage collection hitching/micro freezes too.

I don’t see Bigwigs being your issue at all. It’s likely a high demand or high memory addon, and BW is neither.

1 Like

Update: doesn’t seem to be heated related, but still happens with a very brief pause only when that one main ability is cast and only on volocross. So weird as otherwise the system runs amazing.

I have no issues on that boss on my M3, so I suspect it’s an addon or weak aura or your total addon memory too high (which isn’t any specific addon just total memory high enough to make blizzard activate aggressive garbage collect)

Thanks will try to figure it out :slight_smile:

I know this is an old topic but I had a similar issue. If you are running Details, try turning the update interval from 0.20 seconds to 2 seconds. This resolved all my stutters with large things happening, link Tindral in a 30 man heroic and such.

Yeah details is very demanding, I can honestly say i don’t use it. I use skada. Details is a good mod but it’s a demanding one and i only need basic functionality so i use the lighest mod possible for the task.

Also worth noting I did mythic Volcoross tonight on my M3 Max again with no issues. even higher settings than normal

I switched from using 50% render scale to 75% render scale with 4k output and still get 60fps locked in raids with ultra settings (minus liquid to fair and compute to off). using FSR 1.0 upscaling. but yeah far more crisp upscaling from 75% instead of 50%. I realized I had more gpu to spare so I might as well use more of it.

I ran it again on LFR and there was a very small pause today, but still noticeable. Will try locking at 60 fps am currently locking at 90 if that would have anything to do with it.

Thanks for the guidance, as you have helped me turn my M3 into something I never expected; my primary wow machine haha.

I use my m2 max studio as my primary wow and work machine and it honestly performs great. I play at 2.5k so I can max everything but compute and it performs great at 144fps!

I’ll check out skada as I log all of my m+ and raid runs anyway so details is less relevant for me

Could be. a quirk with vsync. 90 wouldn’t be divisible nicely in any monitor refresh rate, since they are typically 60, 120, 144, 160, 180, and 240
well actually i’m wrong, 90 would work with a 180 refresh rate

M2 Max here, but Mac Studio, using DBM,ElvUI, Details and a lot of Weakaura’s but no issues on that boss in LFR or Heroic. I do set liquid to low for raids and compute off but then also using Vsync and on QHD.

I recently added a new cable that puts me at 165 hz though on suspect the issue even if it’s small might be an actual in game setting or something I set up wrong in macOS.

Let me be clear this thing runs amazing and is very cool now I rarely go over 59 Celsius and it run a smooth and amazing. I just get a very brief “pause” on this boss’s stand in circle phase when all the fire rolls out; kind of like it gets overloaded or something ? This happens with no addons enabled at all. Keep in mind it’s not throttling as I can run for hours on high intense busy raid fights it’s just this one sequence.

Can you guys post all your options in wow and perhaps I have one set wrong. I mean it’s not even a big issue just bothers me and I. Want to figure it out loll

Well as i said, you want framerate to either max refresh rate, or be EVENLY divisible into it, 165 makes that awkward cause you can’t evenly devide it except by 55 so your ideal framerate would actually be 55 or 82.5 or 165

82.5 not possible so that leaves you at 55. honestly in general display refresh rates that aren’t an interval of 30 or 60 are bad in general for most mediums. games and videos.

like you watch a twitch stream at 60fps, even that has frame pacing issues on 165 hz. my screen is a 160 i purposely set to 120 to get smoothest experience from 60fps gameplay (each frame is on screen for exactly 2 refreshes

144+ are bigger in PC market cause they have the GPU hardware to actually run games that well. plus in general better performing games. does this mean it’s causing your stuttering, hard to say, but metal uses a pretty interesting vsync tech where it actually tries to actively match mismatching frame rates as much as possible. it tries to fill in monitors refresh rate as best as it can vs other implimentations that just drop framerate to a clean interval instead. maybe this technique does in fact drop frames sometimes if it can’t match it?

Do you set it to metal or the other one for that setting for graphics API or do you let it auto detect? I can also change my frame rate down to 120 hz if you feel it would be better now that I once again am locking at 60.

Really appreciate the help in troubleshooting this :slight_smile:

Going to try to see if it does the same thing on just the laptop later versus on the monitor…

Adding in that I tested Volocross today again on my m3 max binned 14 inch on LFR and as expected, there was a brief pause on the ability where you soak though it seemed “less” and it’s almost barely impacting but still noticeable. This test was done with no monitor connected and on the MacBook itself this time so it’s either an issue with how my OS is or perhaps something I should tweak inside my wow graphic or computer setting somewhere. Note again, that this small pause isn’t game breaking. I won’t die due to it, but it occurs even with no adding loaded.

Will keep testing it out to figure out what might do to make it perfect, as my system runs wow outside of this like a dream, low heat, and very low impacts even massively busy scenarios such as world bosses and LFR raids. (Smolderon barely gets my computer warm lol.)