Voidwalkers are completely useless

Why do we have a pet that can’t hold aggro worth a sht, when hunters have pets that hold aggro better than tanks?

Blizzard pls

13 Likes

I dont mind their aggro holding, I mind that they pull half a zone of neutral deer every time we fight

26 Likes

It depends on the Hunter spec.

A MM Hunter has to be careful but generally can keep aggro in his pet but only because he is using Misdirection in addition to the pet’s own growl.

Between beast cleave, kill command, the Frenzy buff from barbed shot, a BM Hunter’s pet accounts for 70% of his total damage output. Plus he is probably using the Stomp talent which causes the pet to generate additional threat. Even without growl and misdirection, the same pet that barely holds threat for a MM spec is a super tank for BM.

In the other hand BM pet was effectively neutered in pvp in bfa, so be glad locks are way better off there.

3 Likes

Me and my voidwalker seem to be able to take on any of those 1.7m WQ mobs just fine.

7 Likes

Earth Elemental says hello

3 Likes

Uh…pvp wise letting your earth elemental walk into a warlock would be making your elemental day a temporary goodbye to its owner cause then he/she would banish the elemental.

So much this

1 Like

They can hold aggro just fine.

I have a 120 lock, 120 hunter and a 120 Guardian-focused Druid all around 380ish. My Guardian Druid holds threat better than my lock’s Voidwalker or my hunter’s pets in accordance with being the far superior tank – as it should be.

I’m not sure why people seem to think that the hunter’s pets make such strong tanks in comparison to the Voidwalker. They don’t. A hunter’s pet is easier to heal because you can spam Mend Pet, but the Voidwalker holds and generates more threat than hunter pets because of Threatening Presence on top of Suffering. Consuming Shadows also allows the Voidwalker to deal AoE damage and heal just about every time it attacks. Shadow Shield, Shadow Bulkwark and Soul Leech (if taken) make the Voidwalker far more durable than anything a hunter can field.

Hunter pets get Growl, more stamina and a 20% damage reduction for 6 seconds every 3 minutes – all of which don’t hold a candle to the Voidwalker when it comes to threat generation and survivability. The only thing a hunter’s pet does better than the Voidwalker is damage. While damage does factor into threat generation, the Voidwalker has higher threat modifiers with Threatening Presence, can pulse AoE damage constantly and has a taunt of its own as well.

As someone that has a 382 Guardian tank, a 350 Vengeance tank, a 381 BM Hunter and a 387 Warlock:

• Tanks > > > Voidwalker > Hunter pets.

1 Like

BM hunter pets generate way more threat than the voidwalker lol, because like 80% of the hunters damage comes from the pet. Hunter obviously also has has misdirect and feign death.

The healing advantage also isn’t just mend pet, which is rarely even needed, it’s because ferocity pets (which are much better tanks than tenacity, which you seem to be referencing) have 10/15% leech which works on everything, including stomp/kill command/cleave. This is far stronger than voidwalkers drain from consuming shadows.

The good tanking pets (like clefthoof or corehound) also have a shieldwall ability, and clefthoof in particular has an extra 10% armor and 20% healing received.

Clefthoof/corehound/scalehides >>>>>>>>>>>> affliction/destro voidwalkers, it’s not even close. Maybe if you were using a voidwalker as demo it would be more comparable, but that’s obviously silly to do.

1 Like

Just wanna throw in that demo voidwalker is actually really useful on hard-hitting high-health elites like some of the warfront rares. Because they have a taunt unlike the felguard you can actually just resummon it when it’s low health and it will immediately pick up aggro again at full health and with it’s shadow bulwark cooldown reset. Also I believe as a tailor using discreet spellthread helps.

So I just hit lvl 28 on my first ever Lock and it told me in General chat that my pet had learned a new spell: Shadow Shield. However, the spell icon did not appear in the pet bar. Where can I find it to add it? I can’t find it anywhere. Is it because I am using ElvUi? An autopopulate issue? Any help is much appreciated.

there is a pet tab in your spellbook

Aggro is fine.
Just the taunt not triggering.

So macro your pet’s taunt to your long casts or hard hitting spells.

(posted on wrong toon)

Their aggro is fine. They are way squishier than they used to be so you actively have to funnel life now to keep them up until you can blow stuff up super quick.

Or just go demo.

1 Like

lol, so true.

Play, affliction lock so old blue is the tank and does a good job, now that I am Ilvl 350+. At lower ilvls, only one target at a time because my lock was so squishy, the tank would taunt my first target but the second and third enemy went straight for me as soon as I put a dot on them. It was a huge pain leveling and getting up in gear ilvl, but now I’m 367 and can easy take packs of six trash without breaking a sweat. Old blue is the toughest tank around.

IDK, i just picked up my lock(affliction) again who is still tooling around in legion content. Finishing up the faction grind. The blueberry is just useless now. He’s ok if i run through an area multi dotting. But to try to tank any serious WQ boss i’ll rip aggro off him pretty quick. If i try to just stand back cast only 2 dots and slow burn it. The legion follower will rip from him, and die. It certainly didn’t used to be like this.

I am very amused with the posts. But also having read multiple posts on the topic, I have found that there is a mix of experiences. I don’t understand how so many can agree that it’s useless, and have almost as many saying they tank perfectly fine.

So here is mine and why I say Void Walkers are completely useless. I am currently ilvl 387 and playing destro. I’ve played a warlock passionately for years and since BfA started, I’ve found the void walker to be incapable of holding or removing aggro off me. Not for one single mob, not from a group of mobs. It’s like all my spells deal so much damage that it steals all the threat for myself. I now run with an imp or felhunter for default pet damage. As a destro I can handle mob groups easier. I just can’t rely on my void walker to tank for me anymore. I honestly see a HUGE difference from the tanking pet it once was. That is gone now. And since it’s not holding or stealing aggro, my void walker never takes enough damage to even come close to death. It’s honestly disappointing when you, and side kick NPCs can pull more threat that your void walker, which was MADE to tank.

2 Likes

The voidwalker is complete garbage. It can’t hold threat on anything. It can’t survive multiple mobs. What is even the point of the voidwalker now?