Voidtalon of the Dark Star

Has anyone done the circuit for Edge of Reality since Shadowlands, or since 9.0.5? Is it 50% perseverance and 50% luck?

I have the addon to show NPC life, so I can see if the zone has been up for more than 48 hours (or is it 72? I’ve seen conflicting reports). I have TomTom, and all of the waypoints. I spent the entirety of Zack Snyder’s Justice League running laps around Draenor, looking for this portal.

Since I am not near the game, is there a community in-game that helps with this? I know the Secret Finding Discord was involved a few times, but I would think they have mostly moved on to newer secrets.

This is exactly what it would be since the portal can spawn in 1 of many different locations all over Draenor.

Start here.

Also try it searching for the portal with WarMode on & off for a higher chance of finding the portal.

1 Like

I found it in 9.0.2 few months ago

1 Like

Yeah, I keep that guide open 100%, and the main character that I was on last night is in War Mode. Last night, I was running rounds on Terenas. I might need to run some rounds on my other server, but my mentality is, “As soon as I switch to the other server, it will spawn on my main server.” lol

Also, I’ll need to check the CRZ list, to be sure that both of my main servers aren’t on the same list.

Going with pure stupid luck. When I found the portal it was when I was waiting on the Solar Spirehawk. I logged in and it was right there below me in one of the spots it was known to spawn in. Stepped in and looted.

Kind of like the luck I had this week obtaining the Sha mount and Midnight after too many attempts on both

1 Like

Yeah, that’s kind of the name of the game. It seems that the addition of Chromie time has also seemingly helped the farm too. I’m guessing because Chromie time creates more shards for it to spawn in, just like WM on/off does. Less people are likely looking for it as well, since they’re probably just focused on leveling. If you have any alts that can get epic flying (lvl 30? 40? I don’t remember), hopping into WoD Chromie Time may give you extra shots.

One of the mounts I haven’t acquired because I always tell myself I’m going to adamantly farm it… aaaand then I get lazy and stop lol.

2 Likes

True. The hunter that I was using is a 46 Zandalari… but I just remembered, he’s not in Chromie Time. He was 1-shotting some of the rares. He is in War Mode, so i’ll go tonight and sync him to Chromie Time as well, to see if I can get a sighting of the portal.

Again, just hoping for a bit of luck, but if there are ways to improve my odds… :slight_smile: Thanks

I didn’t know that this mount even existed, thank you!

1 Like

Now I got competition. Thanks lol

1 Like

There’s also a macro that could possibly help too.

There’s a macro that will put out a specific audio file if your mouse is over a portal. The most common one that floats around the web is using the Illidan “You are not prepared!!” audio file if your mouse is over the voidtalon portal. You just click the macro when you’re ready to start farming, and any time your mouse goes over the portal name, it does the audio.

I believe I found it in a WoWhead comment… I’m no master of macros in any way, but it works for me. but this could help in a couple of ways…

1. Help ensure you don’t accidentally miss it while you’re flying around. A lot less likely to miss it if Illidan is yelling at you.

2. Allow you to afk in one spot. with your mouse over the portal spawn location. Where you’d normally have to log off and stop farming all together, you can at least afk farm one spot. If you’re watching a movie or something in a different room and hear illidan yell in your computer room, you can dart over and get it!

1 Like

Forgot to mention it, but I did create that macro, as well. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It has no known maximum spawn timer.

So, really, it could be:
Unclicked/despawned portal: 2 to :infinity: hours
Clicked portal: 8 to :infinity: hours

Meaning that the portal might not even spawn, within a specific zone, at all throughout the weekly reset?

I’ve camped the thing for an entire day in Shadowmoon Valley, and it did not spawn.

There is a 48 (or 72 at one point, I think) hour window after a zone/server reset, where it does not spawn.
Was it at least Thurs through Mon? At all of the Socrethar spawn points?

I knew that it can’t spawn until Tuesday. I did it on a weekend, checking all the spawn points… According to Wowhead, it’s totally random. Not only that, but in the zones other than Shadowmoon, in two hours, if nobody is there, the zone can reset, starting the timer all over!

Another option is joining the Secret Finding Discord. I don’t have the link readily available but I’ve obtained a few rare mounts because of the amazing people there who make it practically their game time to go check and camp rate spawns for people. You’d have to be quick but it could be bother avenue for help?