Voice Chat Service Connect/Disconnect

The dreaded complete crash issue when using spaces was resolved a bit ago but now there is a new (granted less severe) problem that has been going on since 8.1 was released.

When using spaces and WoW (ie - System Preferences -> Mouse -> “Swipe between full-screen apps” check marked) when swapping in this manner occasionally on returning to the game from another space the game will freeze for about 5 seconds and (since I can’t post a screen shot) you will repeatedly see in the chat window:

Lost connection to the voice chat service.
Restored connection to the voice chat service.

Ad infinitum.

Its a bit odd in that it isn’t consistent. Sometimes it seems to be a bigger issue than other times. Not sure what the common denominator is that makes it happen more often than not.

Mac OS Mohave 10.14.3 (Also was happening under 10.14.2 however).

Is there any way to completely turn off/block the voice chat service perhaps that would alleviate this? I don’t use it. I will never use it.

3 Likes

Seconded on this. In fact, I’ve found that this has been causing problems with load screens.

Feature request: option to completely disable in game chat service.

1 Like

I apologise for making another thread on this but your forum limitations force me to. I think perhaps you might want to have that reviewed? I cannot edit or reply to the original post on this in order to update.

I wanted to add that Ive been able to determine when this is happening. It is occurring when in the city of Boralus. That is why previously I mentioned it seemed to happen at some times and others not.

Apologies again for the new thread on this.

Most of the time when we see this error, it’s due to a third party security program or firewall blocking the voice chat service. Can you try temporarily uninstalling any extra security you’re running beyond the basic mac firewall to see if that fixes it? If it doesn’t work, couple questions:

1. Which other security applications (if any) were you running
  2. Is this a home network or a public/corporate/school network? Is it your house or an apartment?
  1. I’m on a Mojave (if that potentially could be an impact)
  2. No security/AV software installed.
  3. Chrome sometimes.

Behaviour: I noticed that it seems to get progressively worse with each log in and log out as well as when entering dungeons and island expeditions. The simplest solution would be to have a disable option.

1.None
2. Home and work

I only have the Mac Firewall enabled in the OS. Nothing else.

Here is a fix for anyone else having this issue:

1. Log-in to battle net website (really annoying and odd that I cant include a link to your own battle net site Blizzard)
  2. Go to settings->parental control.
  3. Enable it, set the email and click the link that will come to your email adress.
  4. Go to “Voice Chat and Streaming” and set it to Voice Chat Off.
  5. Done, now you can enjoy much shorter loading times as well as not having the “Lost connection to the voice chat server errors”

that fix does not always work and when it did work it seems the last patch undid it so the spam is back. plus parental controls has side effects we should not have to suffer in game

So far so good with me