Voice Chat Error 16 - 1min+ hang on load screen

This started a couple of days ago. Any time I log into a character, my load screen hangs for at least 1 minute, sometimes 2. When I log in, I get a system message in chat that says "Can’t connect to a voice chat server right now. Please try again.(VoiceError : 16). "

I’ve googled and couldn’t find a fix. There’s no way to disable the in-game voice that I don’t use. I tried doing parental controls and that didn’t work. I’ve updated my graphics card drivers, restarted my computer, disabled addons.

Is there any way I can fix this? It’s insanely frustrating.

Edit: To clarify - this is only when logging into a character. Using other load screens doesn’t cause this.

Howdy Bryte,

This sounds like something may be blocking the voice chat from connecting. Can you try testing the game with no other programs running in the background?

1 Like

So it doesn’t actually seem to be when logging in every character. I tried logging in my mage first, and it did it. I logged into my DH second and it didn’t do it. Logged back into the mage, didn’t do it.

I’ll keep note of when it’s happening exactly and report back. But it hasn’t been every time like I had thought.

Edit: Nope… it’s just completely random. Wasn’t doing it on any other character, even after I completely closed the client and reopened it. Thought maybe it was after my PC had restarted. Nope, didn’t do it on my mage or any character today.

1 Like

Getting this on a single character. It started happening right after I started to plug in a new Steelseries Arctic (sp?) 7x headset. Any fix?

I’m having this issue as well for all my character

also having this issue now and has not been resolved for a few days despite even scanning and repairing the wow folders

Whitelist World of Warcraft\retail\Utils\WowVoiceProxy.exe in the firewall settings.

Press start and type firewall with advanced and open it up when you see it in the results
In the left pane, click on inbound rules
Now right click it and select “new rule”
Pick program and click next
Click browse for path and find the WowVoiceProxy.exe in the utils directory, click next
Pick allow connection
Next>next
Give it a name like “WoW Voice Proxy Inbound”
Finish

Then do it the same, but right click on outbound instead and add a rule for it as well. Call it “WoW Voice Proxy Outbound”

That way WowVoiceProxy.exe can both send and receive information if it needs to, which should stop the timing out on the load screens.

Oh and you might also want to double check the long inbound and outbound lists to make sure WowVoiceProxy.exe isn’t already there and potentially set to blocked. Not sure what happens if you have a program that has a rule that allows connection and another rule that blocks connection. It might trigger a false vacuum bubble and erase the universe around us.

1 Like