Vengeance a cross of

So, I have a Blood DK, Prot Warrior, Prot Pally, and BM Monk. My DH is 114 right now, and I’ve been leveling the last few tanking. From what I’ve gathered in my short time playing, I feel like a cross between a Prot Warrior and a… DK maybe. Is that fairly accurate?

I enjoy the mobility I have as a DH and like the fact I have a bit of utility. I really enjoy my Brewmaster Monk for the mobility, but feel he is too reliant on others. I enjoy the survivability/utility of my DK, but wish he had a bit more mobility. And I enjoy the DPS and mitigation of the Prot Warrior, but… I dunno. I feel rage starved a lot.

I know there is a lot of negative views going around right now, on all the forums really, but is Vengeance tanking pretty fun? Good utility, decent survivability in M+?

Thanks!

So I’m no longer really sure about SL…but honestly DH on live is a fun tank. I’m comfortable in +16s and could probably tank up to 20’s.

TBH i didn’t want the SL demonic build to be the ONLY OPTION so im kinda glad they nerfed it as i really like soul barrier. I think a lot of the nerfs for VDH were to account for soulbind scaling later on because the potential for Firery Brand uptime, demonic wards buff, and/or fel dev healing was so big.

SL vengeance should be fine, until your spikes and meta are both unavailable. Then you will be launched into the moon from spike damage.

It’s going to be early BFA all over again, or worse.

Well blizzard clearly doesn’t want good AM uptime for VDH. They also now don’t want good self-healing for VDH. So what do they want exactly for this spec ? terrible at both ?

Soul barrier is just trash though, basically useless after legion, and ide highly doubt the nerfs are to account for FB as it just isnt a good ability for m+, good for raid sure but the changes were surely targeted at m+.

They essentially killed the class for m+ with the last round of changes, itll be fine for raid though.

What about it is trash? Cuz the tooltip doesn’t say Spirit Bomb?

FB in 2/3/2 is a viable option for M+ when you can FB every second Immo aura with conduit CD reduction and the Firey Soul leggo for 40% DR on trash pulls where you’re SC’ing instead of SB’ing anyway for further FB reduction.

The nerf to Soul cleaving dry w/out souls to the the point where its useless was likely because they want to weaken the current gameplay with Spirit Bomb where you bomb @5 then Soul cleave the rest of the fury.

Soul barrier falls off immediately, you just get no value from it. And FB is weak because it takes too long to spread.

This is objectively wrong but ok.

Hes not really wrong. Soul Barrier is weak. I mean, I use it since I enjoy it(even though I know Last Resort is infinitely better). but the current iteration is a complete joke compared to how it was in Legion.

In content where you aren’t at risk of dying, it doesn’t matter what you pick. But in content where you are at risk of dying, it simply doesn’t absorb enough to be that impactful, even with pooling 5 souls into it. It literally almost instantly, if not instantly breaks. Compared to like, a cheat death.

Soul Barrier was amazing in Legion though, since it had a minimum absorb it could never go below. And as such, souls constantly added to its shield as a little buffer.

I mean its not objectively wrong. Soul barrier is the least valuable talent on the row. In terms of survivability Demonic, even in its now nerfed state, will still provide you with more survivability, same goes with void reaver. Soul barrier would however gain alot of value if it still had its minimum absorb that didnt fall off.

And im not saying you just cant run it, im sure you can but there will be a key level at which youre just severely gimping yourself.

Same goes with 2/3/2 FB spreading, im sure itll be fine, until you start pushing a little higher, then you run into the scenario that youre overlapping FB with spikes for it to spread, or youre risking death by not having spikes up while FB spreads. 2 seconds for a single FB to spread is a long time.

Is it fun? This is subjective but for me 100% yes. My most enjoyable class to tank on. It has M+ utility, not so much raid utility. Should be pretty competitive in M+ in SL though tuning is still ongoing.