Velfs got their black and white

Alleria and the player void elves got their power in an entirely different manner.

2 Likes

It’s still void corruption in both cases. Again, I don’t see how that’s relevant. We are ultimately dealing with made up fantasy stories here and it was never stated that Void Elf corruption was substantially different from Alleria’s such that they always had to show some outside sign of corruption.

I really just don’t understand why it’s so important that Void Elves can never be allowed to look like High Elves. Blood Elves are High Elves. Void Elves are also High Elves. They are biologically the exact same race. Why should it be a surprise that they can pick options than make themselves look similar to one another?

2 Likes

They weren’t supposed to be similar. They’re becoming clones after each updates. We are losing our uniqueness.

We aren’t getting updates. They aren’t getting void updates.

2 Likes

I don’t know what to tell you. They are quite literally the exact same race as you and have been since their inception.

1 Like

They shouldn’t have been a thing in the first place. They said it was a compromise, so the differences were big enough that you could tell them apart at a glance. THOSE DIFFERENCES ARE FADING AWAY!

1 Like

Again I have to ask why it’s so important that they be visually distinct. High Elves have been a part of the Alliance ever since Warcraft 2, long before the Blood Elves joined the Horde. They’ve always been a part of the Alliance but never playable. It’s not an issue for Horde Pandaren to be visually distinct from Alliance Pandaren so why is it so important for Alliance High Elves to be visually distinct from Horde High Elves?

2 Likes

YOU don’t care. We do.

4 Likes

I think the problem is they contradict themselves, they say there are no Alliance High Elves in the Alliance at the same time every expansion they show up in the Alliance or fight along side the Alliance, Then they say there not enough of them to really count, yet the Ren’dorei pop up with less numbers, then they say well we cant because there would be no way to tell them apart, even though one side is on horde and one is on the Alliance, yet they still look different in the game, its pretty much BS from the Ds side about the whole situation. They are on both sides, time for the Ds to come clean and just do the right thing which looks like they are doing, as for Gnomion he hasn’t a clue. imho

4 Likes

The whole High Elf / Sin’dorei Situation in game reminds of what has happened on the Korean Peninsula , I lived there for 6 years, Worked at Panmunjom for 4 years, Dealt with North Koreans and South koreans for 6 years

The North And South Koreans are the same people but due to war and having overseers advising them both have evolved not by mutation but by realistic separation a political agendas into two politically different people of the same race. even the loss of Korean people during the Korean war is similar,

If you were to take a North Korean and a South Korean stand them side by side you couldn’t tell the difference accept the way they dress, the way they talk, They are both Koreans but are different. Sounds like the whole High Elf Situation to me.

3 Likes

I agree with that. I think this whole issue is one that the devs created for themselves. I understand that Void Elves were created as a way to give the Alliance High Elves without actually giving them High Elves, but I don’t get why we couldn’t just give the Alliance High Elves.

They’ve always been there in the lore, we keep seeing them. It’s not an issue that factions need to be visually distinct for gameplay purposes otherwise Pandas wouldn’t be a thing (and honestly Void Elves and High Elves already use the same silhouette so I can’t tell them apart during gameplay anyway.)

Lore population size isn’t an issue since the solution they gave in the form of Void Elves is arguably the smallest lore population of any player race in the game, even less so than Alliance High Elves who aren’t void-y.

It’s not even an issue of the lore distinction of them being void corrupted alters their appearance because Alleria isn’t visually corrupted nor are Shadow Priests outside of void form.

The devs absolutely backed themselves into a corner by steadfastly refusing to allow Alliance High Elves from the start.

Does anyone else remember the hullabaloo waaaaay back in TBC when Blood Elves were first announced for the Horde? People lost their dang minds since High Elves had always been associated with the Alliance and the main reason they gave them to the Horde was because they wanted a “pretty” race for the Horde. (If I recall correctly, this was also the impetus for Worgen in Cataclysm. To give the Alliance a “savage” race.) While the Blood Elves had splintered from the Alliance in Frozen Throne, there was nothing tying them to the Horde until TBC. Even then, not every High Elf left the Alliance along with Kael’Thas. That’s why in Frozen Throne, Blood Mages, Spell Breakers, Priests, Sorceresses, and Dragonhawk Riders are all Human (Alliance) units. They really should have been playable in WoW all the way back in vanilla.

3 Likes

Last thing I will remind people of about the High Elf, Sindorei , North Korean, South Korean Comparison, How long have the Alliance High Elves and Sin’dorei been seperated, and look how long the North and South Koreans have been separated. It can happen no matter the time frame.

Shame The Ds let their egos and stubbornness take precedence over a part of the community that asked for the playable Alliance High Elves.(imho)

1 Like

I always thought there was a fantastic opportunity for storytelling in a “High Elf/Blood Elf” starting experience where you could replay some of the events of WC3 and decide as a character if you wanted to leave Silvermoon at the end. Shame.

6 Likes

New President in charge seems to be motivated

4 Likes

It could been such a cool story and played in game experience, instead of going to the spirit world to chase ghosts and to be belittled at a every turn.

Truth be told you could end that sentence with any number of things. This is hardly the first time Blizzard has been unreasonably stubborn about something.

Want me to also quote the same video where Ion also said that Void Elves are pretty much also another flavour of High Elves?

Sin’dorei, Ren’dorei or Quel’dorei, they are all the same race, with the biggest key difference being political alignments. Blizzard has given the Blood Elves “Blue Eyes” the same reason to giving the Void Elves skin, hair colours or eye colours, for both groups to allow to play there fantasy as a High Elf or Blood Elf on the Horde or High Elf or Void Elf on Alliance.

5 Likes

They do now. Nobody of us would have thought that these topics go on for over three years now. It’s also good to see how reddit supports these changes because they are really overdue.

It’s fair to suggest that the “Anti” are a minority at this point.

5 Likes

Yah pretty on point, the High Elves are in the Alliance and playable now , just under the guise of the Ren’dorei.

5 Likes

Nothey aren’t. Velfs are playable.

You aren’t a Helf.

2 Likes