Vehicle production and semiconductor chips

So everyone knows that there’s still a shortage and what not

But I’m just wondering when will it finally be back to normal? I’m at my local Honda dealership to get an oil change and tire rotation, and it’s kinda scary seeing an almost empty lot

There are more used non Honda vehicles for sale than new Hondas

When will this shortage end?

AMD and Nvidia both said 2022, at LEAST; they have thousands of cards on backorder. Heck, I’ve been on EVGA’s waiting list since October and haven’t gotten a notif yet (though it doesn’t matter to me anymore since I got one in the BestBuy queue).

Plus because of the shortage, the value of cars over 100k miles has gone up.

1 Like

I’m just hoping that the new TSMC plant alleviates the supply chain, but don’t expect it to be running until 2022-2023

My (admittedly pedestrian) understanding is that automakers (among other “critical infrastructure” companies) have been prioritized for getting chips, so one would expect the auto industry to be one of the first to start to recover. It might be a while before this recovery is actually visible though, because there’s now a vacuum that the entirety of the initial few batches of vehicles will be going to.

The shortage seems to be hitting some types of vehicles more than others though. I’ve been looking at leasing a small EV lately, and neither Nissan Leafs or Tesla Model 3s seem to have availability issues… if you’re looking for an SUV or truck on the other hand your luck might not be so great.

yeah my scenario was I saw a Honda Ridgeline truck at the dealership, was in the showroom too

I had to get it because it was a “now or never” situation, cause I knew it was going to be gone soon

when I came back to the dealership yesterday like I said for maintenance, all of their honda trucks are gone

the fact that in their front parking lots, they had used Ford/Chevrolet/Toyota trucks and purposely had them take more space to make it look like they had vehicles for sale was scary imo

Looking at my dealerships website:

10 New Hondas for sale

140 used vehicles for sale

only 20 of them are Hondas pre owned

I work in the semiconductor industry and we have already seen a universal ramp in dosmetic chip production where normally chips were outsourced.