Vault giving normal gear for 1 normal kill

Hello, in my vault for raids, I’ve killed 3 mythic bosses, 3 heroic bosses and 1 normal. My first slot is 226 for 3 mythic bosses and my 2nd slot for killing 7 bosses is normal…how is it normal after killing 1 boss and 3 mythic and 3 heroic?

Killing the same boss twice in different difficulties does not give you two bosses killed.

1 Like

The “kill x bosses” will give you loot based on the lowest difficulty involved. So 3 mythic, 3 heroic, 1 normal will give normal loot.

1 Like

it was mythic shriek, hunts, hungering, then sludgefest, generals and sire and normal invera, it should be giving highest # of bosses of difficulty, not lowest difficulty

My understanding of the system is that it sorts your valid events from highest to lowest, then breaks them up into brackets. After this, each eligible bracket takes its lowest contributor to determine its “value”.

The raid options are broken into three brackets: three kills, seven kills, ten kills. The kills then get ordered top to bottom: M M M H H H N. Finally, they get broken into brackets to unlock reward options: M M M | H H H N | _ _ _

So now you have two brackets open. The first bracket is a straight MMM, making it an easy M reward. The second bracket, however, is HHHN, which puts the lowest in that bracket as N to determine its value.

In other words, if you get one more heroic kill or one more mythic kill, that lone normal kill will get pushed out of the second bracket and it will increase to heroic in value (MMM|HHHH|N__ and MMM|MHHH|N__ respectively). An LFR kill or additional normal kill will do nothing as these will go straight into that third, locked (until you make two more kills) bracket.

Note that this system retains the same output if you take each bracket at face value. If you take your three highest kills you get MMM for an M reward. If you then take your seven highest kills you get MMMHHHN for an N reward. Each time again the lowest of the best is used.

Should you have not done the normal, it would not have increased the “value” of the second bracket. It would simply be locked instead, due to insufficient kills.

Mythic dungeon rewards are similarly determined, though obviously there’s more than four levels.

3 Likes

You only killed 6 unique bosses on heroic or higher. You need to kill 7 unique bosses on heroic or higher to get the 7 boss slot a heroic piece. Your 7th unique kill was a normal mode. So you killed 7 unique bosses on normal or higher. This is not a bug. it is working as intended.

Note that it would have to be a unique boss. Getting a mythic kill on say Sludgefist (using it just as an example as the OP said they had killed it on heroic) would still get the same result. As they still only killed 7 unique bosses and that 7th unique boss was on normal mode.

I think that is what most people are confused about. When it says “kill X amount of bosses to unlock Y slot”, X has to be unique. Killing Shriekwing on heroic then on mythic does not count as 2 bosses. She only counts as 1 boss for the Great Vault.

Yeah, that part I’m definitely not sure on. You could well be right, of course, but I have my own suspicions that it only requires unique kills in so much as killing Heroic Shriekwing repeatedly won’t give you extra credit, but killing Mythic Shriekwing afterwards would still count as unique.

If you don’t mind my asking, have you been able to confirm in-game if that’s how it works? I likely won’t be able to check this coming lockout due to how our week is planned, but if that changes I’ll definitely report back my findings.

No, killing heroic then mythic shriekwing (or any boss in this way) does not count as 2 unique kills. All killing Shriekwing on mythic does is upgrade the heroic kill to a mythic kill. So for the first raid reward, you need to kill 3 bosses. Killing those same 3 bosses on a higher difficulty just upgrades the reward from the vault, it does not count towards the kill 7 bosses slot. So if you want to unlock all 3 slots for the raid part of the Great Vault you need to do a full clear. From there, doing a full clear on a higher difficulty just upgrades the rewards.

Yep, OK. Can confirm that now. We cleared a skipped Heroic today (four bosses), then two Mythic. Shriekwing was common to both, and I’m showing five raid kills for the week. If the two difficulties were considered unique, it would have been six.