Usage of HDD and SSD accurate?

A few month back i moved wow to an SSD drive. I was then traveling for about a month and since i got back the game has been a bit laggy. Then plunderstorm came out and its ridiculous.

I opened up my task manager and saw that my SSD is sitting at 0% used and my C drive HDD is at 100%. Is there a reason my its not utilizing the SSD to play the game? At a loss here.

Are you sure it’s World of Warcraft that’s using the I/O? In a Windows system, the OS disk gets a whole lot of background activity that has nothing to do with any particular user program.

FWIW, a successful migration of WoW to a fast storage device would result in that device being idle most of the time, since WoW only accesses disk when loading assets, and on a fast device that finishes quite quickly.

Also, is it possible you’re using the spinning rust drive for swap space and you don’t have enough RAM to avoid swapping? That’ll thrash your hard drive quite thoroughly.

When im looking at the processes wow is the only thing sucking up memory.

So if im understanding what you are saying, the SSD is working properly, but due to the memory usage wow starts using my C drive to compensate for the lack of memory?

What is the standard amount of RAM you should be running these days? I havent updated that in like 4 years.

Well, if WoW is using I/O, you want to make sure you’re actually playing WoW off the SSD. (Sometimes, the process of “moving” WoW to a different drive is actually “copying” it, followed by forgetting to reconfigure Battle.net to use the new copy.)

As to page file usage, I don’t know how that looks in Task Manager. 16 GB of system RAM is recommended for WoW, and (in my experience) also just for general systems performance in Windows 10 and later.

Hmmm ok, so im running 16GB of ram.

As far as i know, i configured bnet to look to the SSD since i deleted everything on the C drive.
Would i maybe need to move bnet itself to the SSD?

The OS disk should be always an SSD, because Windows is doing a lot of stuff there just to run Windows.

In fact I was running the DF beta on an HDD, while the OS was on SSD. Initially loading WoW was a bit slower, but it worked.

For retail I have both Windows and WoW on SSD.

Interesting, recommend any how tos on moving your OS to SSD?

Well, I don’t have a good answer. You’ve apparently covered all the bases I can think of. If it’s literally the “wow.exe” executable thrashing the C: drive, and you have successfully repointed battle.net to the D: drive installation, I have no particular idea why it’s happening.

For the record, I’ve done exactly the same thing as you describe on an old potato machine and the C: drive is lounging around most of the time.

Appreciate your help. Ill have to investigate more… there are definitely other programs causing the HDD to spike in usage, but the fact that the SSD rarely shows even 1% is odd. Everything in my system is really steady, CPU at 3%, memory hovers around 9, D (different HDD) at 0%, E (SSD) at 0-1%, GPU 2-3%… C (HDD) all over the place constantly. And im pretty minimal in my program usage.

The only thing that slightly comes to mind is a run chrome and brave at the same time. But even then…

Anyway, thank you.

You are out of ram and it’s spilling over into the pagefile, which is likely located on your C: by default. You might have some bad addons or bad drivers that are causing a memory leak, also, check to make sure absolutely nothing else is running in the background.

1 Like

Having a bunch of slow drives connected to your system is going to slow down everything you run, even if it’s on an SSD or USB. Windows will be indexing them, slowly, in the background.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.