US West IP address question

In the below battle.net support article it lists the US West IP for WOW to be 137.221.105.2. When I do an IP look up it shows that IP is a European IP. Are we sure that this is the correct IP for WOW US West?

Yep

Ip location services are just guessing and often just show you the location of the office that registered the ip or similar, things which don’t reflect the actual location.

On various ip location sites i can get that ip to show up as Amsterdam, paris, and new York city.

The IP address space is managed globally by the [Internet Assigned Numbers Authority], and by five [regional Internet registries] responsible in their designated territories for assignment to end users and [local Internet registries], such as [Internet service providers].

IP addresses are assigned to countries and are not shared across borders.

http s://lite.ip2location.com/ip-address-ranges-by-country

The IP address for US West is assigned to The Netherlands and appears to be currently in use in Amsterdam by Blizzard.

Kassandros,

Yindar is correct here. Just because an IP address was purchased and registered in Europe does not mean it’s actually located there.

If you run a trace to 137.221.105.2 you should be able to follow the connection path toward L.A. Which is where the USwest servers are located.

Jurannok,

I believe that goes against the ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). Specific IPs are assigned to countries and should not be utilized across country borders. That goes against everything I was taught. I’ll send them an email asking for clarification.

Thank you for the response.

Regards,

Scott

i don’t know the rules or whatever, but i’ve seen that sort of thing all the time in various traces posted on here. it’s not uncommon for random hops to show up as europe when they aren’t. i would doubt it is against any sort of rules if only because it is pretty common. but i obviously don’t really know.