US moving to Korea

Moving to Korea for work and looking to swap to OCE for better time zone. Mainly play horde and do M+ and casual raiding. Just trying to see if anyone is in the same boat, or see how bad the latency issues truly are.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain the Oceanic servers are in Sydney, Australia (or close to it) judging from my latency to them. I think your latency will strongly depend on how exactly traffic from Korea gets to Australia since some spots can be bottlenecks.

1 Like

I knew a us navy guy based in Japan and he played oce servers for the same reason. Ping was around the 100ms mark from memory.

from Korea OCE might be a good choice, but from where I am, in Thailand, I get better ping to the US because of the way the international cables route.

Luckily it’s easy to check, just click the tab, make a toon and look at the latency.

Hi Boshamps - when I was stationed in Korea I averaged about 150ms to Oceanic servers and 140ms to U.S. West Coast servers and about 190ms to U.S. East Coast servers. I found the Oceanic community to be very welcoming and friendly, the timezone was perfect, did Mythic+ and Raided with no issues. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey that is an interesting idea, playing WoW if you move abroad. But if there is a travel ban preventing people from the United States from leaving due to COVID-19 how is it you are going?

You better start worrying about the faction issues a horde player will find, especially if you’re used to the horde dominating on US servers.

Faction unbalance isn’t an issue unless you’re into world pvp