Upgrading CPU question

Just a quick question if anyone can answer… I build my own computers, have been for years and usually when I decide to build or upgrade I just build a whole new system.

But i’m currently running a i7-13700k, and I’ve been givin a i9-13900k that im just gonna toss in my system. Do I just pull out the i7 and drop the i9 in? is their any chipset drivers i need to get after? Never upgraded a cpu, usually just gpu’s/ram

Yes, for your case it should be plug and play.

Don’t know what BIOS you’re on don’t think it will matter but do a quick check to verify the bios version supports the cpu. Or you can just update to the latest if you want to be lazy.

1 Like

100% plug and play.

Update your Bios to the most recent version first. Just remember with that 13900k to have proper cooling. i7 runs MUCH cooler. Unlike with the 13700k; with a 13900k a 360 AIO is pretty much required. Also with the 13900k make sure in the BIOS to power limit it to intel’s parameters.

Just wanted to emphasise this, and because of it the OP should almost certainly do a BIOS update anyway so as to implement (hopefully) the Intel default profiles - whatever the board manufacturer winds up calling them. There’s also likely to be another update in the next few months that should almost certainly be installed as even with those limits set the chips are still known to operate outside of their intended design (such as maintaining boost for an excessive period of time).

Of course all of this may be moot if the chip has already been damaged. Not saying that it for certain has, but the problems with the defaults some boards ship with for these chips can cause result in them being rendered permanently unstable - even after imposing sane limits.

1 Like

They are the same family, it’s highly unlikely you need a BIOS update. When Intel releases a set of processors, the motherboard folks test the skus together and release BIOS support for everything released by Intel for the “generation.”

While you can do a BIOS update, you won’t need it for the 13900K specifically.

Instead, check your power supply and fans for the higher TDP, but this is a plug and play effort if you have the headroom.

Gotcha appreciate the responses!

1 Like

Not True anymore my friend. Not if hes moving to an i9. This has been a big issues and all the tech channels talked about it. 13900k and 14900k on older BIOS power limits are set to UNLIMIED by DEAFULT on almost all motherboard manufactures. The 13700k wasnt. Just the flagship 13900k/14900k CPUs. So yes OP will 100% want a BIOs update. Since the OP is on the 13700k the op wouldnt have been effected. They were doing it on the i9 only.

Intel jumped on their backs due to 13900ks and 14900kx degrading and failing. The newest bios should set intel to intel parameter power settings for the 13900k or 14900k unless you are on a Asus strix, Hero or MSI Godlike motherboard. If on either of those there is a switch to flip in the NEWEST BIOS to Enable This.