Upgrade video card or wait?

I currently have a EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2gb videocard. It’s starting to show it’s age and I’ve been wanting to upgrade my monitor to a ultra wide screen 21:9 1440p so the card won’t cut it. Should I get a new card now or wait until RTX 3000 series comes out? Currently there’s an EVGA 2070 Super XC for $520.

Consider the rtx 3000 series. They will see big gains everywhere, in non ray traced gaming and ray traced as well. I could go into all the technical detail and what not, but the 7nm Nvidia products will see some Massive performance gains.

Your gtx 960 will still play the game just fine until Nvidia releases the rtx 3000 series sometime mid 2020.

1 Like

I’m going through the same stage as you are atm. I wanna get the 2070 super but I hear the new 3000 series is coming out this year as well. Plus Amd is releasing a, ‘Nvidia killer’ this year too.

If your current build can play WoW just fine, i would wait.

I guess ill wait. I found a few 1070 TI and 5700XT in the subpar $200 range too (used).

I would’ve suggested the 5700xt but with the issues my friend had with his gigabyte one then reading about the issues and fixes to get it working. I don’t want to be a tester for beta video cards.

Unless you know the prices on the new RTX 3000 series I would pick up the 2070 super if you find a good deal on it. Plus depends how old your PC is all well maybe it’s time to upgrade that as well.

Can you imagine Nvidia raising prices again? I don’t know if they can, consoles are going to be a thorn in their side end of 2020 and probably all of 2021.

I don’t know if issues vary between manufacturers but my Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ has been stellar. Haven’t encountered any issues with it under Windows and it plays much more nicely with macOS and Linux than my 980Ti used to. Only downside is that it’s a real chunker of a card, so it might not fit if you have a smaller case.

I actually borrowed my friends 2070 super to test out. In classic I was getting anywhere between 150-350 FPS depending on raid and location. My 960 gets 70-120. This is all on 10 setting with every setting on max. I have a 4790k, gigabyte mobo, and 32gb DDR3 I think 1600 and a Ssd 960 pro hdd.

I might just wait it out because it’s not like I need it but I would like to eventually get an ultra wide monitor at 1440p