Update Stuck on Initializing

I have been stuck on this update for WEEKS. I have tried everything I can think of. I’ve deleted the cache, updated addons and drivers, manually updated Windows 11, tried deleting the Battle.net and WoW folders, added Battle.Net to my firewall and also turned it off totally. I have tried running as Administrator. NOTHING WORKS! I can’t play at all! Please fix this or give me a suggestion that works.

I would recommend reaching out to Tech Support for assistance. You can put in a ticket here:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/wow/158/159/solution

The only thing you didn’t mention, though my gut says you likely would have tried already, is to reboot your computer.

Hopefully Tech Support can lend you a hand!

I’ve already put in a bug report, rebooted MANY times over, posted in tech support, nothing. It initializes for a while, then pauses indefinitely. I can’t use the scan and repair tool because I get an error with that every time.

Hey there,

If the Scan & Repair function is erroring every time this can mean there’s corrupt files in the WoW install that can’t be repaired. Getting stuck on initializing can also indicate corrupt files, or there’s a problem with the drive the game is installed on.

Try uninstalling ALL versions of WoW (Classic, Wrath, and Dragonflight) through the Battle.net app. Then once they are all uninstalled, go in and manually delete the main World of Warcraft folder where the game was installed. Afterwards run a scandisk and optimize the drive.

Restart the PC then restart the Battle.net app and start a new install of Dragonflight.

If it’s still getting stuck, go ahead and post your DXDIAG so we can see if anything stands out there.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

Do you have a Addon Manager?
Turn it off or tell it to stop…

Restarting battle.net should fix the issue, but a addon manager sometimes stops the update.

Also … Create a new directory.
Mine is named D:\install
D:\install\World of Warcraft\

Pointing to the D:\install when asked by battle.net to place World of Warcraft.

… You can not have …
X:\world of warcraft\world of warcraft\

Good luck.
There are several more things it could be.

I have the same issue on a brand new computer …

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.