Update on the Battle for Ashenvale and Layers - 12/14/2023

Seriously, if I broke prod this bad at my job I would be on the hook working this morning. I don’t guess we will see an update until next week tho. Really poor job blizzard like really bad lol

1 Like

Well you’re off there, this was the fix, this is just acceptable for blizzard’s standards lol.

1 Like

Layers are broken… Gotta listen to the community here

1 Like

And hence we see the results of attempting to fix a system that is inherently flawed.

We were talking on discord when this first post was announced and the consensus was that what has happened would happen. If a bunch of random players saw this so evidently after ten minutes, how did the Devs not come to the same conclusion.

1 Like

A very simple solution that would fix this mess. Make it where if one layer reaches the goal starts on all. Change the timer to 30mins. When each finish do not start the next ashenvale progress until the 30min timer is fully completed. Once the timer ends repeat and fixed. No need to pay me for this.

1. You are punishing players for more layers.
  2. You are punishing layers that are faster than other layers.
  3. It is taking 1.25 * layer * infinite to literally finish.
  4. It is still broken.
2 Likes

Wanted to take a moment and let everyone know that as a follow-up to the statement above, we’ve been watching things unfold for the past few days since we disabled the automatic layer retirement system. While it’s reduced instances of being layered suddenly, it’s also made the world feel a bit less populated in certain situations.

We’ve gotten a lot of feedback from you about this since then we made this change and we don’t want to get into a situation where the fix is worse than the issue we are trying to solve, so we are going to go ahead and re-enable the auto-retire feature. This means its possible that you could get put onto a new layer suddenly if your layer starts to shut down. This also means that the percentage needed to start a new Battle for Ashenvale should fill up at a more consistent rate during offpeak hours, when there are fewer layers in the pool.

This auto-retire system has been re-enabled on all realms in all regions as of about a half an hour ago but it may not become immediately noticeable, especially if your realm/region is in peak hours right now with the most amount of people playing.

We really appreciate your patience as we turn the dials and fine tune on these systems. We want the same thing all of you do, a fun, smooth experience and we are making great steps every day.

Thank you!

45 Likes

ok thanks now rep past revered please and we are good to go

12 Likes

Yeah certianly needed to be re-enabled as it was key to making the world feel alive and fun imo. Not worth sacrificing that for one PvP event. Good stuff.

8 Likes

Appreciate all of the feedback with the posts, can we assume that when the layers are determined to not be needed by the auto scaling group and they are being drained it’s only evaluated for being shutdown for completion of offloading operation and never held by pending actions, ie a battle / event ongoing. Also as a follow up question while not a hotfix by any means if this is going to be the direction the development team is going to move in for the foreseeable future would you be open to the idea of adding an api so that if a party / raid action is going to impact the status on a layer the lead could be prompted to proceed / cancel the action to elevate some of the unexpected layering events? Appreciate any feedback and even if not love the work the team has done thus far.

Thank you, good stuff.

2 Likes

DUDE your team is the absolute best

tysm

4 Likes

Ashenvale on Shadowstrike right now is completely bugged and unable to be completed. The “fixes” for us have made things worse up to this point where we cannot do anything to complete the event besides waiting for the timer.

Here is a picture of the map that I edited with each mouseover so you can see what it’s saying.

…L

Can we…stick to something please?

Boss this is now taking wayyyyyyyyyyy to long it took 4 1/2 hours for a ashenvale event to begin please adjust this i have spoken to many players and streamers and this is terrible its losing player interest in ashenvale and losing player interest in pvp and people just logging out and logging back in when its at 95/95 please fix these changes and speed up the event start times !

Shadowstrike-AU Ashenvale has completely broken down - please restart the server - the bosses will not spawn.

1 Like

And now in the next event the bosses haven’t even spawned.

Meanwhile yesterday was the best day SoM had in terms of layering and population.

Reverting this was the wrong move.

1 Like

wrong opinion, they absolutely needed to revert this

5 Likes

yeah dont listen to this clown. He has no idea what he’s talking about. When the difference is 15% (which is a TON) there is definitely faction imbalance in the event going on.

Thank you for this. The counter is speeding along quickly now. Get back in here boys

1 Like