Upcoming Mistweaver Monk Tuning – March 29

The gap to what?
Since I don’t believe this buff is to close the gap between us and paladin/shaman but rather keep us in line with resto druid, holy priest and disc priest.

I’m confused why PvP is brought up here?
Clearly this is a PvE tuning pass considering the other changes that are happening with it.

WOTC was a pvp talent only in legion and bfa, and only due to borrowed power could WOTC be used in pve. They should bring it back for pvp but there’s no way they’ll bring it back for pve

WoTC and Chi-ji are super similar

How do you go from saying:

To:

In the next sentence and see nothing wrong with that?

2 Likes

Similiar in what they did but we already talked about how they were not similiar at all in how they felt so I’ll spare you a forum dissertation. :grimacing:

My questions currently are:

1. What is wrong with this buff ? Why is this something I should be unhappy about.

To start the conversation I’d ask what spells do other people think are used in a similiar fashion to Spinning Crane Kick. There was no chance at all that any buff to an ability like Spinning Crane Kick was even going to touch Vesper Totem, Chain Harvest, Paladin wings + Necro Hammer spam (whatever the build is) during consecration. So where exactly do other Mistweavers expect to find that level of damage? Pre buff I did like 3k in a key. I havent ran yet since Tuesday - where are we currently at?

1. It’s been a long time since Legion pop crane and kill someone in a leg sweep type beat existed. 2 expansions infact. There is no patch level buff that is bringing that back.

? In what way? Chi ji and WOTC both provide immunity to movement impairing affects, but all of chi jis power comes from ENVB and not much from the actual mastery, WOTCs conversion healing was much stronger also it was on a minute cd. And also I believe WOTC healed 3 allies where chi ji only heals two. Not to mention the 25% mana cost for WOTC, not really similar

They mechanically function the same, both tell you to deal dps to heal, the difference being what the healing source is (mastery / (ability damage), and the addition of envb.
they functionally do the same thing, only that chi-ji is a stronger spell in most cases, whereas wotc would be better in massive pack pulls just because of how its healing worked, whereas chi-ji is the set amount per gcd.

Whether one was a shorter cooldown, duration, or cost it doesn’t matter because they fundamentally do the same thing, again outside of the addition of env into the rotation.

The core idea of both ability is
Hit Damage Ability get healing
Things like mana cost, 2 vs 3 target count, and cooldown are not functional differences

The differences are
Chi-ji has normalized healing per damage event unlike WoTC which had it be direct based off damage meaning spells like tiger palm were terrible for healing while things like Rising Sun Kick had a ton of healing

Chi-ji generates its healing in 1 clump per damage spell while WoTC was truly per damage event

WoTC was also proximity based healing meaning it was the 3 closest hurt targets compared to chi-jis any 2 targets hurt in range. This proximity based aspect was terrible as it prio 3 people at 99% because they were closer to you than the person at 10% 20 feet away.

Chi-ji has the added benefit to enable enveloping breath, something good in raid but terrible in keys. WoTC was almost always taken in keys rather than raid.

But when it comes to playing WoTC vs Chi-ji in keys, you play the exact same.